PDA

View Full Version : 1,000,000 Post Avatar Contest - Best 1,000,000th Post Avatar

Mr. Anderson
Aug 24, 2004, 11:03 PM
The mods have voted and have made our choices for the finalists of the Best 1,000,000th Post Avatar contest. Now it's the members' turn to vote for their favorite. The winner will be the entry with the most votes by the end of the voting period, Friday at midnight EDT. In case of a tie, we'll leave the polls open for an extra day.

This was not an easy task and we have several honorable mention entries as well (see below). Congrats to all the members who entered the most participated-in contest in MacRumors history (over 230 entries). Thanks for your participation.

"Million" honorable mention:

Flickta
http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16413

HeWhoSpitsFire
http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15984

If you've made the list, feel free to update your sig. Once we have a winner, that member will be able to use the winning 'tar.

Thanks again,

D

Counterfit
Aug 24, 2004, 11:30 PM
Hmm, this one's a toughie. I think I'll have to go with evilsanta on this one...

Wait, we are supposed to reply right? :confused:

Kingsnapped
Aug 24, 2004, 11:33 PM
Wow... what a nice surprise to come home to. Thanks to MacCoaster for pointing it out.

/off to update my sig.

Mr. Anderson
Aug 24, 2004, 11:39 PM
Hmm, this one's a toughie. I think I'll have to go with evilsanta on this one...

Wait, we are supposed to reply right? :confused:

you can reply if you like, voting is more important :D

D

nagromme
Aug 24, 2004, 11:52 PM
I think all submitters should be allowed to use the avatar they made, once this is over.

neologism
Aug 24, 2004, 11:53 PM
No contest - decksnap wins by far in functionality, cleanness, cleverness, style, and originality. Props.

dotnina
Aug 24, 2004, 11:57 PM
No contest - decksnap wins by far in functionality, cleanness, cleverness, style, and originality. Props.

I second that, five stars for creativity!!

I really liked them all, though. :)

Good job everyone.

homerjward
Aug 25, 2004, 12:05 AM
if all 'tars were eligible i'd vote for doctor q's, but i ended up voting for decksnap. that's an awesome 'tar. he even captured the dark around the edge of the ipod screen. brilliant.

cb911
Aug 25, 2004, 12:09 AM
Decksnap!! :D

very cool idea.

so that's a new feature that'll be coming to iPods soon? ;)

can't wait to see that 'tar in the forums. :)

the other entries were good as well, but Decksnap came though with a tiny piece of brilliance!

evil_santa
Aug 25, 2004, 03:06 AM

Thanks for your vote, it makes me laugh when i look at it! :D

LimeiBook86
Aug 25, 2004, 03:25 AM
I don't stand a chance. that iPod one rules.

wow...all I can say is......wow

AmigoMac
Aug 25, 2004, 05:06 AM
:cool:
:rolleyes:
:D
:p
:)

Now I have to start the design for my avatar, just noted I'm at 475 posts ;)

JDOG_
Aug 25, 2004, 05:18 AM
So many good ones, it's hard to choose. The iPod one is pretty slick, but I had to give my vote to the hunchback with the chalk because it's so original.

evil_santa
Aug 25, 2004, 05:19 AM

you would have got my vote if i hadent voted for my avatar :D

HyperX
Aug 25, 2004, 06:16 AM
OMG these all ROCK MY SOCKS!

I am having a hard time choosing from like 3 or 4..

Wow I won't say who I voted for but there is like at least 3 winners here!

medea
Aug 25, 2004, 07:11 AM

Don't be so sure, yours is quite creative. It was a real hard decision for me.
I'm pretty sure if yours was in just the animated entries you'd be guaranteed the win.

Good luck all.

Mr. Anderson
Aug 25, 2004, 07:27 AM
If you have 500 posts there's no reason for you not to use your tar if you want to. But only the winner will be granted a 'tar if they have less than 500.

And for all you having a hard time choosing....imagine how hard it was for us to narrow the field, there were so many good ones. :D

D

anjaki
Aug 25, 2004, 07:57 AM

Don't put yourself down, there's only one truely original avatar there, it's a shame that the voting doesn't reflect that.

decksnap
Aug 25, 2004, 08:10 AM
Thanks Limibook- and everybody! I'm going to vote for yours because it is the most fun- and I am wagering a guess that you put the most amount of time in on it. Very cool!

LimeiBook86
Aug 25, 2004, 11:37 AM
Thanks Limibook- and everybody! I'm going to vote for yours because it is the most fun- and I am wagering a guess that you put the most amount of time in on it. Very cool!

Thank you everyone :)

Yes it did take a long time to make that, bout 2-3 hours according to the "Get Info" command, but it seemed much shorter than that. Well thanks anyway.

At least I think I might make second place.:D

Also thank you decksnap, your signature's awesome;)

pyrotoaster
Aug 25, 2004, 03:03 PM
There were some really great avatars in this category, but Decksnap's just takes the cake.
A great idea with a great design. Very Apple-like. ;)

monkeydo_jb
Aug 25, 2004, 04:45 PM
Thanks for your vote, it makes me laugh when i look at it! :D

You definitely got my vote due to the cleverocity factor!

-jeff

Koodauw
Aug 25, 2004, 05:41 PM
This was a tough one for me. I think everyone did an excellent job, and deserves credit where credit is due.

May the next 1,000,000 posts be as good as the first.

MacFan26
Aug 25, 2004, 06:13 PM
This was the hardest one to vote for! Decksnap gets my vote, but I love all of them! Props to you guys for creating such great 'tars. :) :)

LimeiBook86
Aug 25, 2004, 07:04 PM
This was the hardest one to vote for! Decksnap gets my vote, but I love all of them! Props to you guys for creating such great 'tars. :) :)

Thanks, making these are not easy. ;)

I think originality and creativity are key things to look at in these sorts of contests.

bousozoku
Aug 25, 2004, 07:47 PM
Don't put yourself down, there's only one truely original avatar there, it's a shame that the voting doesn't reflect that.

Well said. Obviously, creativity means little to most of the voters but all of the entries have hard work in them.

Mr. Anderson
Aug 25, 2004, 08:20 PM
I think one of the best things about these contests is that it gets everyone into making 'tars. there are quite a lot of new ones out there now.

Great job all! :D

D

LimeiBook86
Aug 25, 2004, 09:40 PM
Well said. Obviously, creativity means little to most of the voters but all of the entries have hard work in them.

Very nicely put.

Counterfit
Aug 25, 2004, 10:34 PM
you can reply if you like, voting is more important :D

DOkay then. :)

Oh, I might as well do it now:

w00t! First reply! :D

dobbin
Aug 26, 2004, 03:24 AM
LimeiBook 86 - I think yours is the best tar here, but I don't see what the 1,000,000 connection is though? Am I missing something?

LimeiBook86
Aug 26, 2004, 05:42 AM
LimeiBook 86 - I think yours is the best tar here, but I don't see what the 1,000,000 connection is though? Am I missing something?

Yes you are but, most people don't see it so it's alright. That is because I was going to slightly update it, making the character (Mac), draw a comma after he draws a character that looks like a 1. The animation suggests that he draws a 1, and then a 0, then he draws some round-ish shapes to try and make people think he is writing 1,000,000. If I uploaded the new version it would be a bit obvious because he would have drawn a 1, then a comma, then a 0 (followed by the roundish shapes). But both of the avatars are identical except for him drawing the comma in the newer version. The avatar is still good I think but the 1,000,000 connection is a bit iffy, but, it's definitely there if you have a good eye for these things. hee hee

I explained this in my first post when I posted the icon. Now you know. :) Thanks for your complement. I enjoy everyone's feedback.

:)

Have a nice day!

jefhatfield
Aug 26, 2004, 06:52 AM
lime ibook's avatar is my favorite

pivo6
Aug 26, 2004, 06:56 AM
They are all so good. I had a hard time just choosing, but I also chose Limeibook's.

Great Job everyone!

MacFan26
Aug 26, 2004, 12:07 PM
actually LimeiBook, I like your current avatar. It's so funny to watch :D

LimeiBook86
Aug 26, 2004, 01:42 PM
actually LimeiBook, I like your current avatar. It's so funny to watch :D

Thank you all again! :D

voicegy
Aug 27, 2004, 01:30 AM
I'm really touched and surprised that my little 'tar made it in the finals - thank you. Even if I get very few votes (and up against such witty and clever 'tars, I'm sure that will be the case) I'm tickled to even get in the running.

Voting will be tough - one might be tempted to vote for ones self, but that iPod animated 'tar is the friggin' cat's meow...dang, all of 'em are clever as heck.

Well done, folks. It's so dang cool to be a part of MacRumors. :D

LimeiBook86
Aug 29, 2004, 10:46 PM
Well I'm VERY happy I've won 2nd place. :)

Congrats to everyone - I liked all the entries, but I had to vote for myself. hehe

I was just waiting for a official announcement. Well thank you everyone that voted for me, your votes were greatly appreciated.

<Leanrs how to use MR Search> Ok forget the official announcement thing - lol

:D