PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen this Sony laptop?

spaceballl
Aug 25, 2004, 01:44 AM
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_BrowseCatalog-Start;sid=RaoaJZpGEqAaK9tqcSYQLtVJpFvx6ie7WfU=?CategoryName=cpu_VAIONotebookComputers_SSeries&Dept=cpu_VAIONotebookComputers

They just got them in the UCSD bookstore. This thing has a SLICK 13.3" wide screen. I feel like Apple should get a widescreen like this for their smallest powerbook and make it 1" thin... It would be a bit wider, but probably not any taller because while the screen is "bigger," it's the diagonal that is measured. This would definitely differentiate the PB from the iBook too. Anyhow, this Sony laptop is NICE. The pictures really don't do it justice. Anyone else seen it?
-Kevin

comictimes
Aug 25, 2004, 02:22 AM
I haven't seen it, but I agree that a 13" widescreen which is only 1" thick would be a worthy replacement of the 12" powerbook. It would still be much smaller than the powerbook, but it would be thinner than the current 12", and would have a widescreen, which, to me at least is infinitely better than the standard screens.

RandomDeadHead
Aug 25, 2004, 02:24 AM
Yea the widescreen is fairly cool but, like most of Sony's innovations here recently, I bet it will only have a brief moment in the sun.

Unless they love it to death.

cursorx
Aug 25, 2004, 03:02 AM
Actually I happened to chance upon them on some stores, while I was looking at a Powerbook, and man the display of this notebook is awesome.. it's bright and very very amazing.. (I almost gave my mind on the apple). But on second thoughts, probably not .. it runs windoze :D

If I am not wrong it is about 2.5kg in weight.

Abstract
Aug 25, 2004, 04:39 AM
Yes, the next step is to make the 12" PB a widescreen notebook. If my 12" PB was widescreen, I'd be in heaven. Sure, make it a bit shorter and wider. Or just make it 13" and keep it the same height, but a bit more diagonal. Whatever.

As long as I can have a 1.5 or 2 windows open side by side, I'd love it. I have to use Preview (for .pdf files) and Word simultaneously quite often, and while Expose made it a much better situation, a widescreen that keeps a chunk of the Preview window exposed would be so much easier, because all I'd have to do is click on it to switch to it. Right now, I'd be lucky to have Word and MS Messenger open. :(

webmatthijs
Aug 25, 2004, 05:12 AM
yeah i have seen it, its really cute, a friend of mine has it. the outside is cool though. not the inside that windows xp stinks.

wPod
Aug 25, 2004, 08:29 AM
sony usually makes pretty good products. but my vote would be sony's route of going for a 13" wide screen instead of 12" i think a 12" wide screen would be too short!