Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I've just set up a distributed audio system based around AirTunes. I have two 'servers', an AppleTV, and Windows based iTunes install. AirPort Expresses are being used to drive extra speakers around the house.

So, using the Remote App, I can easily enable speakers for the two sources, I.E. I can assign all indoor speakers to the ATV, whilst having iTunes drive the outdoor speakers with different music. So all good there.

The only annoyance is that if I have an AirTunes speaker assigned to the ATV, then I use the Remote app to assign it to iTunes instead, the AirportExpress is not reassigned. It seems that I have to switch to the ATV, disconnect the speaker, then switch to iTunes to attach the speaker.

It's not a huge deal of course, but it is irritating, and lacks the polish one would normally expect from Apple.

Is this a setting thing, or do Apple need to update the firmware for the AirportExpress to have it call back to let a server know that it has disconnected?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.