PDA

View Full Version : Heinz revamps ketchup packets

mscriv
Feb 4, 2010, 11:20 AM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20100204/capt.661adcb68c8940949293037aff9b67df.heinz_ketchup_nybz129.jpg?x=400&y=286&q=85&sig=qFISqG9_v4e6ae94MAP7qA--
PORTLAND, Ore. The ketchup packet has been around for more than 40 years, and complaints about it for nearly as long: too messy, too small, too hard to open. Now ketchup giant H.J. Heinz Co. is unveiling the first major packaging change to the to-go condiment. The new design has a base that's more like a cup for dipping and also a tear-off end for squeezing, plus it holds three times as much ketchup than a traditional packet.

"The packet has long been the bane of our consumers," said Dave Ciesinski, vice president of Heinz Ketchup. "The biggest complaint is there is no way to dip and eat it on-the-go." Heinz has long struggled to find a design that lets diners dip or squeeze ketchup that could also be sold at a price acceptable to its restaurant customers. For this effort, it bought its design team a used minivan two years ago to test if their ideas really worked while eating on the road.

Heinz sells more than 11 million cases of its ketchup packets in the U.S. every year and it will continue to sell the traditional packet. The new packet is in test markets in the Midwest and Southeast and will roll out at select fast-food restaurants in the fall. Heinz is still working out prices with customers but said packets will cost a little more than regular packets.

Full Story (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100204/ap_on_bi_ge/us_heinz_ketchup)

This is long overdue good news. :)

Darth.Titan
Feb 4, 2010, 12:03 PM
PC ketchup (that's what we call ketchup packs in the restaurant biz :D) is already too expensive. I can only imagine what this new packaging is going to add to the bill...

Disc Golfer
Feb 4, 2010, 12:13 PM
I have childhood memories of drowning my fries in ketchup / making little puddles on the tray for dipping because of those packets, though I haven't shopped anywhere that offers ketchup packets in years. I will say that I don't feel good about a product that increases the laziness with which people can consume fast food. When will we see french fry containers with built in ketchup, so you can bypass the dip process entirely and "drink" your ketchuped fries straight from the container, SUV-driver style?

-Ryan-
Feb 4, 2010, 12:15 PM
Some restaurants in the UK have had this packaging for years. It seems to still be optional though, as lots of places still only do either the squirt one or the dip type.

GSMiller
Feb 4, 2010, 12:16 PM
Why did it take them this long, I wonder? Up until now, ketchup has been the only condiment that doesn't come in little cup.

Anonymous Freak
Feb 4, 2010, 12:41 PM
Why did it take them this long, I wonder? Up until now, ketchup has been the only condiment that doesn't come in little cup.

I see mustard, pickle relish, mayonnaise, salsa, and 'honey sauce' in packets all the time. The only one of those I regularly see in the 'dip' packets also is the 'honey sauce'.

Gregg2
Feb 4, 2010, 01:07 PM
Wish the picture provided something for scale. If it only contains the same amount of the goods that a tear-off only packet does, it might last for two or three fries. There will be more waste when you can't get enough on the fries to make it worthwhile, so you toss it and open another one.

mscriv
Feb 4, 2010, 02:19 PM
^^^ The story says it holds more than current packets.

The new design has a base that's more like a cup for dipping and also a tear-off end for squeezing, plus it holds three times as much ketchup than a traditional packet.

Antares
Feb 4, 2010, 04:54 PM
Awesome! I can't wait to try it.

fun173
Feb 4, 2010, 07:09 PM
Some restaurants in the UK have had this packaging for years. It seems to still be optional though, as lots of places still only do either the squirt one or the dip type.

i dip then squirt. Sorry :eek:

xlii
Feb 4, 2010, 07:10 PM
Thank Goodness! I thought it was over... but now there is hope.

dmw007
Feb 4, 2010, 08:15 PM
Finally, some innovation in the ketchup department!

joepunk
Feb 4, 2010, 09:25 PM
Great, more wastful packaging to be thrown out. :mad:

Soon people will be forgetting about the wonderful unknown that occurs when you are trying to pound out the fake red stuff from the glass bottle.

Oh, and why the heck would one go to the heinz facebook page to show pictures and tell the world about your glorious and wonderful ketchup experiences. Well, I can see the entertainment in sharing the laugh you had when another dinner patron squirted ketchup all over him/herself after trying to pound it out of the glass bottle.

Abstract
Feb 5, 2010, 01:34 AM
I'm going to wait and see what Apple has up their sleeve.

rdowns
Feb 5, 2010, 07:22 AM

Our most advanced packaging, of a revolutionary condiment at a ridiculously high price.

Gregg2
Feb 5, 2010, 08:15 AM
Finally, some innovation in the ketchup department!

Why do you think they called it ketchup?

(see rdowns' avatar for an illustration of where they're constantly starting from)

RedTomato
Feb 5, 2010, 07:11 PM
It's been around for years in London. Holds about three times as much as the older style. I see this more often than I see the old style package.

niuniu
Feb 5, 2010, 07:19 PM
This packaging has been around for a good while now. In any case, ketchup blows, brown sauce is champ!

MinorBidoh
Feb 5, 2010, 08:19 PM
Tommy K - what a champion, nee substitute for the day to day bit.

Just get him away from my bacon bap and find me Frankie Bruno (HP).

Consultant
Feb 5, 2010, 08:45 PM
i dip then squirt. Sorry :eek:

LOL. Playing with "food" win.

pukifloyd
Feb 6, 2010, 12:21 AM

yeah like unibody box with an automatic lid that opens up to reveal the world's best ketchup :rolleyes:

carlgo
Feb 7, 2010, 12:53 PM
I can finally enjoy ketchup with my fries while I drive. Next invention: a way to keep fries good for more than a few minutes. After that: frying oil that fries and tastes like lard instead of insipid chemical "health" formulations.

dmw007
Feb 7, 2010, 10:21 PM
Why do you think they called it ketchup?

(see rdowns' avatar for an illustration of where they're constantly starting from)

Good point Gregg2! :)

localoid
Feb 8, 2010, 12:16 AM
I can finally enjoy ketchup with my fries while I drive. Next invention: a way to keep fries good for more than a few minutes. After that: frying oil that fries and tastes like lard instead of insipid chemical "health" formulations.

I'm looking forward to seeing the "I can't believe it's not lard" commercials.

JoeG4
Feb 8, 2010, 02:31 AM
Oh, being an anorexic dude with tight jeans, I didn't realize people still consumed American monstrosities (they call it "food") that necessitated this garbage.

I thought everyone ate thai food and sushi!
:D

*RUNS AWAY IN A FLAME PROOF SUIT*
.. holding a double cheeseburger! :D

Hemingray
Feb 8, 2010, 02:04 PM
Great, more wastful packaging to be thrown out. :mad:

You did see the part about it holding 3x as much as the traditional packet, right? So the packaging is probably equal to or slightly less than the equivalent of 3 packets. At 1/3rd the work for the consumer. It makes sense to me; I for one welcome the news.