PDA

View Full Version : Jedda's iMac G5 Prediction Renders

Jedda
Aug 25, 2004, 05:50 AM
Hey dudes.

Mocked these up in a spare fifteen minutes i had.

Basically, it fits in with the pizza box design, and is pretty similar to the current line of displays, except thicker, with a cooling system running horizontally behind the display.

Oh yeah, slot loading optical drive on top, removable flap at bottom to install ram/airport ect.

Let me know what you think.

Grimace
Aug 25, 2004, 07:42 AM
I like it, but it looks way too much like the current displays. Apple will probably differentiate the two product lines a bit more.

wordmunger
Aug 25, 2004, 07:49 AM
I realize you just put this together in 15 minutes, but where are the ports for firewire, usb, ethernet, etc? Where does the keyboard go? More importantly, why? What benefit does this model get from integrating the monitor/CPU? What can you do with it?

MacBoyX
Aug 25, 2004, 07:50 AM
I like it, but it looks way too much like the current displays. Apple will probably differentiate the two product lines a bit more.

Also...if Apple could get a G5 into an enclosure that thin, we'd have a G5 PowerBook...

wPod
Aug 25, 2004, 08:15 AM
cool idea, but i think it needs more of a base for a number of reasons. such as enough room for a G5. i think right now you would melt the monitor if the G5 was esentially touching the monitor. though the powermac cooling ports on the side look cool!!

Squire
Aug 25, 2004, 09:30 AM
I know this is not exactly on topic but just a few minutes ago, as I slid my 17" iMac screen toward me with 2 fingers, I thought, Wow...how the hell is Apple going to trump this?

I mean, really, how will they be able to make the display movement any better? Going with any type of base would be, as another poster in another thread said, a step backwards. Do you think they'll keep the arm?

Squire

kgarner
Aug 25, 2004, 10:24 AM
I think it will look more similar to the Sony all-in-one computers. Of course, it will be a lot cooler (love sony's style, but have yet to see one that matches the elegance of a Mac). It just needs to be thicker ont he back in order to accomodate the computer components.

cubist
Aug 25, 2004, 11:14 AM
Also...if Apple could get a G5 into an enclosure that thin, we'd have a G5 PowerBook...

This is so. The iMac has always been a laptop computer in a desktop case. The coming of the iMac means that the Powerbook G5 is not far behind.

jrv3034
Aug 25, 2004, 12:04 PM
Nice mock-up, Jedda! I don't think that it'll look like it, though. No proof, just gut reaction.

I know this is not exactly on topic but just a few minutes ago, as I slid my 17" iMac screen toward me with 2 fingers, I thought, Wow...how the hell is Apple going to trump this?

I mean, really, how will they be able to make the display movement any better? Going with any type of base would be, as another poster in another thread said, a step backwards. Do you think they'll keep the arm?

I agree. One would hope that they know this, and will come up with something equally stunning for the next version.

My prediction is that it will keep the moving arm structure, but the dome and screen will look very different than the current iMac. The arm was inspired genius!

Macky-Mac
Aug 25, 2004, 12:38 PM
I think this looks too much like the current displays to provide the sort of "WOW" effect and brand identity that the imac has created for Apple in the past

strider42
Aug 25, 2004, 12:50 PM
This is so. The iMac has always been a laptop computer in a desktop case. The coming of the iMac means that the Powerbook G5 is not far behind.

yeah, but since the iMac is plugged in all the time and battery life isn't an issue, you can use more power intensive cooling systems. the powerbook is balancing not only heat, but usability. PLus, the iMac has always been in a much larger case. they could put a G5 in a powerbook right now if they made it two inches thick and if it had a two hour battery life probably.

Jedda
Sep 1, 2004, 05:54 AM
Wow. Turns out i was pretty accurate.

I hate that huge space at the bottom of the new ones.

I like mine better. :P

BrianKonarsMac
Sep 1, 2004, 06:13 AM
Wow. Turns out i was pretty accurate.

I hate that huge space at the bottom of the new ones.

I like mine better. :P

don't know what you see as accurate...other than you used an all in one design...which anyone could have told you to do for a mockup (i don't believe i've seen a mockup without the all in one design).

yours was aluminum, vents on the sides, all screen, optical drive on top, all different from the new imac.

that said, i prefer your design over the new imac, as that huge chunky space is just appauling, and white with an aluminum stand? what were they thinking?