Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Man I loved the original iPod (5 Gigs), but after sending it in twice for repairs I moved on to Gen 2, etc. etc.

When I got it I didn't have a Mac so I had to use MusicMatch on my PC. Boy that program was awful.

The nostalgia. Seems like just yesterday.

Fast duck

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2009
Was that the one with the buttons above the wheel? If so I have one and last time I checked it worked fine

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Was that the one with the buttons above the wheel? If so I have one and last time I checked it worked fine

Yes the physical buttons, which was IMO much better than Generation 2 when all the buttons were touch.

theark

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2010
I may, but it semi works. If it's not the original one, than it sure is back in the day.

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
I had one for a while... 8GB touch and 5GB iPod. Guess which one got used more?

... the 5GBer.

ReggaeFire

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2003
The hard drive on my original started go a couple years ago, so I got a 8 gig nano to replace it. I keep meaning to do the CF-card upgrade to it and make it usable again. I miss it's big clunky wheel and bare bones interface.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
I have a Gen-2 ipod, and it has the best sound out of all the ipods I have had. and FYI, only the scroll wheel is touch sensative, all the outer buttons are actual buttons.

snouter

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
I have an original 5GB.

Mine still works. The screen is kind of flickering, but still works.

A drunk friend sat on it and kind of broke the headphone jack a little bit, bit it still works.

It weighs about 7 pounds, and doubles as self-defense. Just crack someone on the head with it and they will leave you alone. The base is stainless steel and the Plexiglas front is at least 1/8" thick.

Firewire car adapter charger, lol.

I wonder why I never bought another iPod? I liked this one ok.

Used it in my car until my tape adapter broke. Never got around to buying a better head unit.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
A 20-something student saw my 3rd gen 20gb iPod and they totally freaked out and asked me what it was.

I imagine their head would have exploded had they seen an original 5gb one.

It's amazing how far it's come in less than 10 years.

xbpr

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
I dug my original 5GB out of storage. Put a charge on and it is back in action. I did replace the battery several years ago and it hasn't had much use. It should still be in good condition. I'm going to sync this thing up and take a walk down memory lane.

Attachments

• IMG_1291-small.jpg
    IMG_1291-small.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 68

JBazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
I dug my original 5GB out of storage. Put a charge on and it is back in action. I did replace the battery several years ago and it hasn't had much use. It should still be in good condition. I'm going to sync this thing up and take a walk down memory lane.

Do you recall how much you paid for that 5GB?

Disc Golfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
1000 songs in yer pocket! I've still got mine, it still works fine after a battery replacement in 05 although it spends most of its time in a box in the basement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.