PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on speaker rental for prom

lil' brudder
Feb 4, 2010, 07:04 PM
With all the budget cuts we've had, our school is really going cheap on prom this year, and as a junior class, we are organizing everything for the prom. To help cut costs, one of the things we are doing is instead of hiring a DJ, we are going to make a playlist of music everyone likes and running it through some speakers.

We are going to be in a fairly large ballroom (UNI Slife Ballroom), and I have NO idea what size amps and speakers I need. It needs to be loud (this is a high school dance, remember) and it needs to not sound like crap. There is a 1-day rental of a 800 Watt 12-15" PA system for $150, but I have no idea if that is a rip-off or if we need more or less than that.

Basically, I know how to plug stuff in, but I'm not enough of an audiophile to know how much power we need. I'd give you the specifications for the room, but I can't find any.

Thanks!

Peace
Feb 4, 2010, 07:06 PM
What's the square footage of the hall ?

lil' brudder
Feb 4, 2010, 07:16 PM
I take back what I said about not being able to find anything. This is from the ballroom website:

"The 4300 square foot, column free, ballroom features a classic look with 30 foot high ceilings beautifully painted with a modernistic gold scroll effects overhead, and woodwork of graduated colors from teal to old rose to deep mahogany red. Clear cathedral windows line the north wall bathing the space with natural sunlight or magical moonlight."

Auszero
Feb 16, 2010, 12:47 AM
For that price all you can really get is something like some JBL Eon's. They'll be more than adequate if you can pick up 4 of them with a small mixer and xlr cables. Real easy to set up so tell them you want to pick it up.

hakukani
Feb 18, 2010, 06:23 PM
For that price all you can really get is something like some JBL Eon's. They'll be more than adequate if you can pick up 4 of them with a small mixer and xlr cables. Real easy to set up so tell them you want to pick it up.

You haven't been to a high school dance for awhile. You need Subs.

ankitsid
Feb 21, 2010, 01:36 AM
for a dance, subs WILL be needed.
the best thing to do, now days atleast is call up ur local music store (where you're renting from) tell them the event, the size of the hall, and the amount of people. they will definitely give you some info on what you will need. ask for sub, also you will need a mixer assuming you will need a mic.

i wouldnt expect this all to fit in a budget of 150 honestly.
what is you're budget? talk to some local DJs and give them your budget, see what they say, some are really nice and will budge on their prices. i know depending on the type of event, and how the client acts towards me i usually lower my prices a bit.

Auszero
Feb 22, 2010, 02:51 AM
You haven't been to a high school dance for awhile. You need Subs.

Its irrelevant if he only has $150. I own an audio company and we sent out 4 eons, mixer, and a couple wireless mics and its was $600 for the day. No way is he getting subs, amps, and crossovers too.

ankitsid
Feb 22, 2010, 02:53 AM
exactly and if he can get close to renting all that out.
he might be able to strike a deal with a local DJ who has equipment already.
that way he can scratch the playlist idea.

Cristine
Mar 6, 2010, 05:14 AM
exactly and if he can get close to renting all that out.
he might be able to strike a deal with a local DJ who has equipment already.
that way he can scratch the playlist idea.

Hi, I totally agree with you. Really he might be able to strike a deal with a local DJ who has equipment already.