PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook g4 - sluggish video

Relznuk
Feb 4, 2010, 10:11 PM
I just upgraded my Powerbook g4 to Leopard from Tiger. Ever since the upgrade, I am having a difficult time streaming video from the internet, with sites such as youtube and Hulu. The video is quite sluggish.

Now, I've done some internet research, and have discovered that this is a very common problem. I have not, however, been able to find a fix for this issue. Has anyone else been able to repair this issue with the Powerbook g4 and video streaming?

Thanks.

crazyrog17
Feb 4, 2010, 10:13 PM
Add more ram.

spinnerlys
Feb 4, 2010, 10:18 PM
You can try the YouTube HTML 5 beta, which does not use Flash.
http://www.youtube.com/html5

There is also Click2Flash to disable Flash content.

Leopard needs more resources than Tiger, so that might explain the sluggishness.

Relznuk
Feb 4, 2010, 10:46 PM
Add more ram.

Not that simple - I just upgraded it to 2GB from 512mb. Video was fine under Tiger. I'll try disabling flash, but some websites, such as Hulu, make it mandatory...

Any more permanent suggestions that don't affect my web experince?

spinnerlys
Feb 4, 2010, 11:01 PM

Any more permanent suggestions that don't affect my web experince?

Use Tiger.

iThinkergoiMac
Feb 4, 2010, 11:18 PM
If you downgrade your version of Flash from 10 to 9, you'll see some performance improvement. Alternatively, you could try using Flash 10.1... I've found it to be just as fast as Flash 9.

Disc Golfer
Feb 4, 2010, 11:35 PM
Use Tiger.
This. I'm on a powerbook running tiger right now and it has no problem with sd vids.
Any particular reason you need the leopard?

mabaker
Feb 21, 2010, 08:52 AM
Yes, do install the newest and pretty stable beta of Flash 10.1, you will see improvements.