Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2010
I am not a scientist, and I am not a brain surgeon, but why in the world offer 100,000 plus apps and let us only have 144 of them?

Apple, if you are listening, unlock the apps store for those of us that realise it is good business to use your apps in our business. One app alone made me $200 today. I need more room for apps, and the thought of jail breaking my devices is something I do not want to do.

Please tell me there can be a thousand or more apps in the iPad.

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
I am not a scientist, and I am not a brain surgeon, but why in the world offer 100,000 plus apps and let us only have 144 of them?

Apple, if you are listening, unlock the apps store for those of us that realise it is good business to use your apps in our business. One app alone made me $200 today. I need more room for apps, and the thought of jail breaking my devices is something I do not want to do.

The iPhone doesn't even have a 144 max. It's limited to 11 screens but all you need to do is go to spotlight to find them.

Sketh

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
I have proposed a category like approach to fixing app limits on the springboard and also clutter:

Employing the same technique used in the new Photos App, one could pinch out a grid of apps that they assemble, which would keep page counts down, and add a kind of "Stacks" like functionality to the desktop.

1zbz96a.png

When you pinch out:

20arip0.png

Sketh

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
Despite thinking it will be unnecessary for such an app you've gotta love that name "Appstache" :D

"Appstache" is my "companies" name. and by "company" I mean what I call myself when I do designs and UI for apps/programs, or wallpapers, or..... App Editing in the piracy scene.

R10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2010
Spotlight? File names are often diffrent than icon names.

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
Spotlight recognizes both filenames and application names.

Ex: Spotlight search for the application 10,500+ Cool Facts finds the application, which simply is CoolFacts. It pulls up this application after simply typing in 10,500 and nothing else.

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
I have proposed a category like approach to fixing app limits on the springboard and also clutter:

Employing the same technique used in the new Photos App, one could pinch out a grid of apps that they assemble, which would keep page counts down, and add a kind of "Stacks" like functionality to the desktop.

[*]

When you pinch out:

[*]

Well, the ipad has photos in stacks!! They should do the apps in stacks, too. Plus, we can title the stacks as page 1,2.. or games, utility, ettc.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W

Ummm. If your Desk-top that you syc with has enough space, can’t you can have as may Apps as you like?

And just sync the ones you’re currently using.

I've got about 40 apps currently loaded on my phone and really, it's more than I need most of the time.

I’m sure I’ve downloaded over 144 Apps onto my Mac.

R10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2010
I have 200 plus apps, and I want all my apps available so I can easily work with them. Once the iPad comes out, I expect my apps will double as I do more and more work on my iPad and less and less on my computer.

As an artist, no small set of apps does all I want done, I often find myself using several apps to do one job.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have 200 plus apps, and I want all my apps available so I can easily work with them.
so you use 200 plus apps on a daily basis?

As an artist, no small set of apps does all I want done, I often find myself using several apps to do one job.
Then an iPad may not be the best fit for your needs. I have a lot of apps for the iPhone, but only a subset are on the iPhone at any given time. I can sync daily and I have a need I'll make sure I have what I'm expecting. I do find it hard to believe that people need instant access to over 200 apps, but hey, that's your needs. If the iPad has similar constraints to the iPhone then as I mentioned perhaps something else may be better fit.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Maybe I'm missing something but why would you need 144 apps on your iPad/iPhone/Touch on any given day for this to be an issue? Heck, I don't have 144 apps on any of my Macs (for a reason too -- I hate clutter and wasting valuable storage space). Maybe this is a problem for a small few tortured by a "pack rat" mentality (you know, people that still have buckets of Pogs in the dresser drawer), but I think most people have a dozen or so "go to" apps and another dozen or so "occasional use" apps.

And, yes, there are 100K apps, but many duplicate each other in fuction, and then tons of useless junk like farters and 3rd rate games. Boil it down and there is not anywhere near 100K useful apps. It's just a handy advertising gimmick.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I am on the verge of hitting the 11 screen limit. I have 10 screens all filled up. The very next screen I download will start an 11th screen for me.

Quite a few of my apps are turkeys that should get deleted but I've only deleted a handful. I've already blown away the pathetic tap tap that insists on popping up nag screens about music I don't care about. I know about the ability to use spotlight to search apps but now that I'm no the verge of "running out" I think I'll spend some time deleting "cruft" apps I never use or rarely use.

I'd prefer if there were no "limit" and that there were unlimited app pages but in all honesty, I can figure out how to either use spotlight or live within the 180 app icon display limit. When I get an iPad, this might change. I might decide I need more apps. For those who like icons, Apple might decide to offer more "pages".

But the way I access all of my apps on my desktop at home is by spotlight. I almost never browse to the applications folder. I only have about 20 shortcuts in my Dock and I frequently dump apps from my dock if I haven't used them in a few weeks. For me Apple doesn't have to change anything to allow me to use more than 180 apps on the iPad because spotlight is already my preferred method of launching things on my Mac. One thing I like about spotlight better on the desktop is it is always there. On the iPhone/iPod Touch, spotlight gets its own screen. I would not having to go to a "special screen" to use spotlight on the iPad, but otherwise for my needs, spotlight is good enough.

I like spotlight so much I also have launchy on my pathetic and slow windows box at the office but I leave launchy disabled so our pathetic and slow IT people don't blame me when my pathetic and slow computer acts up. Did I mention that the best Apple commercial I see every day is my pathetic and slow windows box at the office?

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
I thought one of the OS updates meant that you could have more apps, than displayed - you just used the search function to find the off screen apps?

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
OP, you may want to look into the Jailbroken application called Categories. I have about 60 apps, and 40 of them fit in four neat folders, that load very quickly and display icons just like the springboard (you can even keep the folders resident so they open even faster). With categories you are literally limited to how many free GBs you have on your iPhone.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
I also feel like, in theory, iPad apps should be less gimmicky and have more substantial functionality so you won't have 200 1-screen apps that do one small thing.

But then again I am in the camp that only has 3 pages of apps total on their phone, so what do I know.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
My app list has perenially full and beyond.

I have apps I use that I search for.

However out of all these apps there are less than 10 I use with any regularity.

I also challenge someone to claim they use 140+ apps on say at least once a month basis.

That being said, there is no reason why they can't expand the interface to allow for a nearly infinite number of apps to be up beyond just searching for them.

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002

[*]

When you pinch out:

[*g]

I also imagine that when you hold down an icon to enter edit mode, in place of the next available empty app space is a New Folder with a circled + in the corner and tapping on that icon would ask you to name the new folder or cancel. You could then drag apps into it or click on it to rename it. To rearrange inside that folder you'd have to exit the edit mode, enter the folder and hit edit again but no New Folder option this time.

R10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2010
I cannot believe there are people here complacent with 144 or 176 or whatever the number is. One guy thinks 15 pages should be the magic number.

When you go to the DrudgeReport, do you count the links he has posted and say today he posted too much?

When you go out for pizza, do you go places with a limited menu because it makes you feel more comfortable?

Come on people, why limit something already in our hands?

To the one guy that asked me if I use all 144 apps every day? No.

On the days you do not check your yahoo mail on your PC, do you remove it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.