PDA

View Full Version : Need third-party Airport card

MacDuff
Aug 25, 2004, 12:38 PM
Hey all,
I looked to see if this was discussed before but i couldn't find anything here about it.

Does anyone know about the third-party company making the old 802.11b airport cards? Apple stopped making the old airport cards so my buddy needs to buy from this third-party company. But we can't find who they are or if there are more than one company. He's got a 2-year old iBook so of course the Airport Extreme wouldn't work with his computer.

Any help would be great - thanks!

strider42
Aug 25, 2004, 12:47 PM
Hey all,
I looked to see if this was discussed before but i couldn't find anything here about it.

Does anyone know about the third-party company making the old 802.11b airport cards? Apple stopped making the old airport cards so my buddy needs to buy from this third-party company. But we can't find who they are or if there are more than one company. He's got a 2-year old iBook so of course the Airport Extreme wouldn't work with his computer.

Any help would be great - thanks!
you can't get one for an iBook or iMac since the airport slot is a non standard slot (someone correc me if I'm wrong). You coudl use a wireless bridge like the linksys wet11, but that's not as practical for a laptop since its an external thing that needs to be plugged in. ebay is an option and maybe some local mac resellers still have some in stock.

MacDuff
Aug 25, 2004, 01:08 PM
no kidding. hmm, i talked with a Mac reseller and he said they had some 3rd-party cards coming in. But he didn't expand on if they would work on an iBook. Just to clarify, the iBook in question is an old 14-inch white 700 mghz.

I'll check eBay. Anyone else out there know of what I can do?