PDA

View Full Version : The Inevitable Future of iPad Apps - demo of the Crazy Face App

scrapple
Feb 5, 2010, 11:54 AM
http://gizmodo.com/5464972/the-inevitable-future-of-ipad-apps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8mpP6qhD8I&feature=player_embedded

EssentialParado
Feb 5, 2010, 12:08 PM
Wait… how did he get an iPad?

melman101
Feb 5, 2010, 12:18 PM
I love this app. I need an iPad right now!

colmaclean
Feb 5, 2010, 12:18 PM
Is that a camera? ;)

admanimal
Feb 5, 2010, 12:28 PM
Wait… how did he get an iPad?

There's some trickery going on there. You can tell by the way his finger swipes aren't in sync with the faces sliding.

miknos
Feb 5, 2010, 12:32 PM
There's some trickery going on there. You can tell by the way his finger swipes aren't in sync with the faces sliding.

i noticed the same. This is the kind of app apple should ban (useless).

scrapple
Feb 5, 2010, 12:34 PM
hes a developer.. apple probably sent a few out to big developers..
he made that snowboarding game

mrgreen4242
Feb 5, 2010, 12:40 PM

Yes, must be fake because there's lag on the sliding between faces! :rolleyes:

Anyway, why should they ban ANY app? If it doesn't damage your device or do anything malicious why not let people decide what THEY want to buy? Having a gatekeeper for apps is a big enough issue when they are just filtering for security and stability, but when they start filtering for content it becomes another thing all together.

I think it's pretty clever, though. Would I buy it? Probably not, but I could see downloading it to give my 2 year old a good laugh.

Also, before someone says it (someone on Giz already did) I assume it uses the mic to trigger the mouth to move, not a camera.

samcraig
Feb 5, 2010, 01:02 PM
It's done with green screen and/or motion tracking

Take a look at the left side of the screen where the guy is holding the device. You'll notice when his fingers move, there's a distortion happening on the device where his fingers are.

admanimal
Feb 5, 2010, 01:06 PM
hes a developer.. apple probably sent a few out to big developers..
he made that snowboarding game

Highly unlikely at this point. I'm not even 100% sure of the legality of doing that given that it lacks FCC approval. If anyone outside of Apple is going to have an iPad at this point, it's going to be legitimately big developers like EA and Gameloft.

Yes, must be fake because there's lag on the sliding between faces! :rolleyes:

Actually it's not that there's a lag...the sliding actually appears to occur before the finger swipe. Plus if you stop it on certain frames you can see where bits of the guys fingers have been chopped by the green screen/compositing process.

scrapple
Feb 5, 2010, 01:08 PM
http://iphone.ezone.com/?p=676

devs site

anthonymoody
Feb 5, 2010, 01:13 PM
Highly unlikely at this point. I'm not even 100% sure of the legality of doing that given that it lacks FCC approval. If anyone outside of Apple is going to have an iPad at this point, it's going to be legitimately big developers like EA and Gameloft.

The Wifi version does not require FCC approval.

You can be sure that Walt and a couple - 3 other hitter tech reviewers have a wifi version, or will shortly.

admanimal
Feb 5, 2010, 01:19 PM
The Wifi version does not require FCC approval.

You can be sure that Walt and a couple - 3 other hitter tech reviewers have a wifi version, or will shortly.

Are you sure about that? My understanding is that any device that radiates any kind of signal (Wifi, bluetooth, 3G, whatever) needs FCC approval. My iPod Touch lists an FCC ID number on the back of it just like my iPhone does. I could be wrong though.

Here's how you can tell the iPad in the video is not real:

http://www.adamcode.com/fingerchop.png

anthonymoody
Feb 5, 2010, 01:22 PM
Are you sure about that? My understanding is that any device that radiates any kind of signal (Wifi, bluetooth, 3G, whatever) needs FCC approval. My iPod Touch lists an FCC ID number on the back of it just like my iPhone does. I could be wrong though.

Hmm. I could be wrong too :)

I thought we'd been told that the delayed shipping time for the 3G version was to allow time for the FCC review.

bossxii
Feb 5, 2010, 01:23 PM

How would this app on the app store have any effect at all on your life? Zero...

Ya lets ban everything that you personally don't' find useful! Love the narrow minds that come to MR. Amazing.

samcraig
Feb 5, 2010, 01:25 PM

I thought we'd been told that the delayed shipping time for the 3G version was to allow time for the FCC review.

I would imagine one of two scenarios.

1. Reviews don't happen at the same time regardless of when the device is submitted and/or the 3G took longer to submit to the FCC so there's a longer waiting period.

2. Apple is hoping to get more carriers on board before launching the 3G version.

admanimal
Feb 5, 2010, 01:26 PM

In the keynote Steve said that the extra 30 days was to work out carrier deals.

colmaclean
Feb 5, 2010, 01:27 PM
The bezel's not thick enough, anyway. :rolleyes:

marksman
Feb 5, 2010, 01:55 PM
Who cares how they demoed it?

Do you think it is not going to be possible for them to make the application?

adammull
Feb 5, 2010, 01:56 PM

You know how else you can tell? His Safari isn't as snappy. I can't see his Safari, but I can just tell.

ARF900
Feb 5, 2010, 02:01 PM

Actually it's not that there's a lag...the sliding actually appears to occur before the finger swipe. Plus if you stop it on certain frames you can see where bits of the guys fingers have been chopped by the green screen/compositing process.

Didn't you watch the grammys? How did Colbert get one then?

njchris
Feb 5, 2010, 02:01 PM

Maybe he lost part of his finger in an accident while cutting his favorite bagel. Now you have made him feel bad, when all he obviously wants to do is make a fun app. Now he is going to be self concious about his finger in the video. So mean!

RMXO
Feb 5, 2010, 02:14 PM
I'm so going to get this so I can mess around with my 2 yr old nephew. Gonna try to scare the bejezuz out of him. hahaha. I know I'm mean but this is payback for all the times I had to change his stinky diapers. I'm roommates with him & his parents.

marksman
Feb 5, 2010, 02:16 PM
I'm so going to get this so I can mess around with my 2 yr old nephew. Gonna try to scare the bejezuz out of him. hahaha. I know I'm mean but this is payback for all the times & had to change his stinky diapers. I'm roommates with him & his parents.

Is it your brother and his wife or your sister and her husband.

That is important.

admanimal
Feb 5, 2010, 02:16 PM
Didn't you watch the grammys? How did Colbert get one then?

He said that someone handed it to him before he went on stage and then immediately grabbed it back from him when he got off.

Like I said, I don't know the rules regarding FCC approval..maybe it's OK for Apple to send out prototypes as long as they aren't for sale.

anthonymoody
Feb 5, 2010, 02:23 PM
I would imagine one of two scenarios.

1. Reviews don't happen at the same time regardless of when the device is submitted and/or the 3G took longer to submit to the FCC so there's a longer waiting period.

2. Apple is hoping to get more carriers on board before launching the 3G version.

In the keynote Steve said that the extra 30 days was to work out carrier deals.

Aha. I stand corrected, thanks. That's interesting and I'd missed it (guess I have to watch the keynote AGAIN!) Did he mean/say more US deals? Or was it the int'l deals he was talking about?

RMXO
Feb 5, 2010, 02:29 PM
Is it your brother and his wife or your sister and her husband.

That is important.

younger bro & his wife

Alchematron
Apr 2, 2010, 07:22 PM
And you thought April Fools was yesterday :D

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/crazy-face-lite/id364016483?mt=8