PDA

View Full Version : Girl, 11, Gives Birth to Baby Boy

obeygiant
Feb 5, 2010, 11:58 AM
link (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,584936,00.html)
An 11-year-old girl in the Northeast recently gave birth to a baby boy, according to the girl’s family.

"My daughter and baby are fine, and the baby is absolutely beautiful," stated the girl’s mother.

The girl and her family are not being named in order to protect the girl’s privacy.

According to Dr. Manny Alvarez, managing health editor of FoxNews.com, the girl’s age places her in significant dangers

"A very comprehensive approach to her care needs to be instituted early in her pregnancy," Alvarez said.

A recent report by the Guttmacher Institute said U.S. teen pregnancies were up 3 percent in 2006.

But of course, this case is not about a teenager, Dr. Abdulla Al-Khan, a leading high-risk obstetrician noted; it’s about a pre-teen, or child, who’s body is not built to carry a child yet.

"Her body is clearly not defined for pregnancy with its short stature," Al-Khan said. "Her chest is not extensively developed for breast tissue, her bones aren’t quite fused, and once you expose a child this young to high amounts of progesterone and especially estrogen, there is controversy that it could halt her growth."

Al-Khan said other medical challenges facing a girl as young as 10 or 11-years-old include:

— The pelvis is not defined for natural childbirth;

— The vagina could sustain injury during a natural birth;

— The patient is at high-risk for pre-eclampsia, which is high blood pressure and protein in the urine and could lead to convulsions and/or multi-system organ failure;

— A higher risk of pre-term labor and delivery, which would mean the baby’s size would be compromised, and the baby is at risk for developmental issues, fetal growth restriction and chromosomal abnormalities;

— Higher incidence of stillbirth;

— Higher incidence of cholestasis of pregnancy, a condition where the patient starts itching like crazy, which can lead to stillbirth and placenta issues;

— Chance of fatty liver developing, which could be fatal.

"The textbooks don’t even tell you how to deal with a 10-year-old; it’s completely different even though we understand the basics," Al-Khan said.

Al-Khan said a patient like this would benefit from early intervention and would have to be seen on a weekly basis during the pregnancy to prevent complications.

"Think about how difficult a pregnancy is for someone in their 20s or 30s . . .the aches, pains, the sleep deprivation," Al-Khan said. "Now imagine it in a child."

There are also psychological issues associated with a pregnancy like this, because a 10-year-old cannot be mentally ready to give birth, Al-Khan said.

What?

Apparently this isn't the only time this has happened (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/02/9yearold-girl-gives-birth_n_446034.html).

thejadedmonkey
Feb 5, 2010, 12:06 PM
Mazel Tov! :eek:

Disc Golfer
Feb 5, 2010, 12:11 PM
Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others!

NT1440
Feb 5, 2010, 12:14 PM
Is there going to be an investigation into this rape? :mad:

Heilage
Feb 5, 2010, 01:50 PM
But... how? How can what we assume to be a then a ten year old girl:

1) Assuming it's not rape, get into a sexual situation?
2) Even get pregnant?
3) Not have an abortion?

The world is actually going to hell in a handbasket.

Sdashiki
Feb 5, 2010, 01:51 PM

2) Even get pregnant?
3) Not have an abortion?

I believe the youngest mother was FIVE:
http://www.snopes.com/pregnant/medina.asp

Gav2k
Feb 5, 2010, 01:55 PM
There was a 9 year old Asian girl on the news Tuesday that had given birth to a baby boy.

Abyssgh0st
Feb 5, 2010, 03:17 PM
I love children with all my heart; but I think ANYONE getting pregnant before the age of 16 is a disaster and should never happen. Maybe I'll invent a hormone shot that inhibits child conception until a certain age (not
birth control, like an annual/bi-annual shot. Something that has no negative effects). But even at age 16 it's a God damned mistake.

cantthinkofone
Feb 5, 2010, 04:18 PM
I love children with all my heart; but I think ANYONE getting pregnant before the age of 16 is a disaster and should never happen. Maybe I'll invent a hormone shot that inhibits child conception until a certain age (not
birth control, like an annual/bi-annual shot. Something that has no negative effects). But even at age 16 it's a God damned mistake.

16 is still to young. Might be ready physically, but I bet 90% of 16 year old girls are not ready to go thru pregnancy, or be a mother.

NT1440
Feb 5, 2010, 04:21 PM

2) Even get pregnant?
3) Not have an abortion?

It's rape no matter what according to the law.

skunk
Feb 5, 2010, 04:26 PM
Aisha was only nine, apparently. But that was different, apparently.

DoFoT9
Feb 5, 2010, 04:31 PM
thats just outrageous, no matter what culture you're in!

Antares
Feb 5, 2010, 04:38 PM
Early pregnancies like this aren't that surprising given that certain girls are beginning to reach puberty at earlier ages. This is almost entirely due to environmental/chemical contamination. Man-made chemicals with structures similar to natural hormones are thus influencing the body to mature at an earlier age (prior to the natural full development of the body). When one reaches puberty, sexual desires arise. This is expected as it is a natural consequence of the heightened hormonal state of puberty. Sexual desires lead to sexual activity and pregnancies like this, thus, occasionally occur. Again, this isn't surprising.

TuffLuffJimmy
Feb 5, 2010, 04:42 PM
16 is still to young. Might be ready physically, but I bet 90% of 16 year old girls are not ready to go thru pregnancy, or be a mother.

Nature would beg to differ.

NT1440
Feb 5, 2010, 04:44 PM
Any word on the rape investigation? Is there going to be one?

Heilage
Feb 5, 2010, 04:47 PM

Fair enough. Although I see it as a difference wether she actually wanted it by some sort of horrible choice or someone actually forcefully raped her, it's wrong in all ways imaginable.

TuffLuffJimmy
Feb 5, 2010, 04:48 PM

The mother and mother's mother are not being identified, so obviously we're not going to know the details.

Also: why are you so dead set on a rape investigation? What if it were her eleven year old boyfriend that knocked her up?

NT1440
Feb 5, 2010, 04:50 PM
The mother and mother's mother are not being identified, so obviously we're not going to know the details.

Also: why are you so dead set on a rape investigation? What if it were her eleven year old boyfriend that knocked her up?

Does statutory rape not count if both parties are underage? :confused:

GoCubsGo
Feb 5, 2010, 05:04 PM
Is there going to be an investigation into this rape? :mad:

You're sure hell bent on driving this point home, aren't you?

What if she had consensual sex with someone her same age? Maybe before you try to drive home the point that you believe (a word that is missing from your posts) she was raped, you should take the time to look up statutory rape. I am not saying that it is not, but I am saying you seem to have detected a crime where a crime was not at all identified. Of course, your intent could be to make waves and maybe you're asking this board if it applies as if there's a panel of lawyers standing by make that call. Either way, do some research and come to the determination then make a call because clearly whomever had sex with this then 10 year old girl may need to go to jail if they did in fact commit a crime.

ucfgrad93
Feb 5, 2010, 05:04 PM
Wow, this is just so sad.

anjinha
Feb 5, 2010, 05:09 PM
2) Even get pregnant?

It's not unusual at all for girls to start getting their period at 11, and if they get their period they can get pregnant. Actually it's normal for girls to start getting their period from anywhere between 8 and 16.

skunk
Feb 5, 2010, 05:11 PM
Does statutory rape not count if both parties are underage? :confused:Probably not by statute at any rate.

NT1440
Feb 5, 2010, 05:13 PM
I believe an investigation should be done on this regardless of if it was consensual or not.

skunk
Feb 5, 2010, 05:17 PM
I believe an investigation should be done on this regardless of if it was consensual or not.An investigation may not be relevant or necessary. It may have occurred through innocence and/or ignorance between curious children.

MOFS
Feb 5, 2010, 05:20 PM
Probably not by statute at any rate.

In the UK at least, if anyone engages in sexual activity with someone under the age of 13, it would be an offence, regardless of their own age or whether "consent" is obtained - the thinking is that aged under 13 a child is unable to give consent (ie lacks the capacity to make that decision).

NT1440
Feb 5, 2010, 05:21 PM
An investigation may not be relevant or necessary. It may have occurred through innocence and/or ignorance between curious children.

That would be discovered in an investigation would it not? I was under the impression that certain circumstances trigger automatic protocols to be followed, such as pregnancy under a certain age. Then again, the article doesn't say what state this occurred in, only the North East if I remember right, so I don't know if laws like that are in place.

Either way I just think this kind of thing is wrong.

Edit: MOFS described it well, though thats in the UK, I don't know if individual states have these laws.

skunk
Feb 5, 2010, 05:25 PM
In the UK at least, if anyone engages in sexual activity with someone under the age of 13, it would be an offence, regardless of their own age or whether "consent" is obtained - the thinking is that aged under 13 a child is unable to give consent (ie lacks the capacity to make that decision).So if both parties were under 13, would both parties be penalised?

rhett7660
Feb 5, 2010, 05:36 PM
So if both parties were under 13, would both parties be penalised?

Under California Law yes. 261.5 PC. Look at the (b) section. It is 3 years younger or older. So you could have a 13 year old and a 15 year old and they could be found guilty of misdomeaner. Now I am not saying the will spend time in jail and the baby taken away how ever there is a crime here in California.

If we don't know the age of the father, there could be a couple different crimes. I said could be. I am only speaking of California Law.

288 PC comes to mind.

King Mook Mook
Feb 5, 2010, 05:39 PM
So if both parties were under 13, would both parties be penalised?

I would be seriously surprised if they arrested/tried either party if they were less then thirteen years old. There may be a perfectly normal explanation for this (as someone else said they may have just been curious) and it is not unusual for people to reach puberty earlier then others.

I think a stern talking to would be in order but they are not going to arrest them if it was consensual, and they were both under thirteen. However if they were not, then there is serious problems. I am sure this will be investigated so if she was raped they will know about it.

King Mook Mook

GoCubsGo
Feb 5, 2010, 05:41 PM
Under California Law yes. 261.5 PC. Look at the (b) section. It is 3 years younger or older. So you could have a 13 year old and a 15 year old and they could be found guilty of misdomeaner. Now I am not saying the will spend time in jail and the baby taken away hower there is a crime here in California.

If we don't know the age of the father, there could be a couple different crimes. I said could be. I am only speaking of California Law.

288 PC comes to mind.
In that case look up Romeo & Juliet laws ... or something like that.

rhett7660
Feb 5, 2010, 07:35 PM
In that case look up Romeo & Juliet laws ... or something like that.

This is for where, what part of the world? I know California doesn't recognize them. That is the whole reason for the 261.5 law. Just for this reason. It doesn't mean child molestation or rapist. It is for the boyfriend and girlfriend who are either under age, both of them, or one is of legal age and one isn't, and they are in a relationship. Please do not think I am saying they will arrest and put them through the system. They can and have, however I think we need to know a little more about this. And I am only speaking of California law no where else.

Rodimus Prime
Feb 5, 2010, 08:01 PM
That would be discovered in an investigation would it not? I was under the impression that certain circumstances trigger automatic protocols to be followed, such as pregnancy under a certain age. Then again, the article doesn't say what state this occurred in, only the North East if I remember right, so I don't know if laws like that are in place.

Either way I just think this kind of thing is wrong.

Edit: MOFS described it well, though thats in the UK, I don't know if individual states have these laws.

I willing to bet the investigation happened and was completed 8-9 months ago. If the birth is what triggered it and if it is not completed by now then I would have very little faith in CPA.

Since there was no report of anything that means they found nothing chargeable because something like 2 10 year doing it not really news worthy.

Aldaris
Feb 5, 2010, 08:49 PM

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.;)

pukifloyd
Feb 6, 2010, 12:15 AM
this is madness! :(

Abyssgh0st
Feb 6, 2010, 12:20 AM

Hence why I said that "Even at 16, it's a God damned mistake."

leomac08
Feb 6, 2010, 12:27 AM

hahaha +1:p (the expression on Homer says it all)

Abstract
Feb 6, 2010, 04:53 AM
In the UK at least, if anyone engages in sexual activity with someone under the age of 13, it would be an offence, regardless of their own age or whether "consent" is obtained - the thinking is that aged under 13 a child is unable to give consent (ie lacks the capacity to make that decision).

Perhaps, but this may be an example of a poor choice or ignorance, not rape. If the man who got her pregnant was over 16 or 18 (this will depend on their laws), then that's rape.

And say they were punished. How would they be punished? Juvenile Detention?? Do they get taken out of school and sent somewhere? None of these are real solutions. At this age, educating them would probably be a more effective method.

cantthinkofone
Feb 6, 2010, 10:40 AM
Nature would beg to differ.

And it would loose horribly.

Do you know of any 16 year old girl, much less boy who is ready to take care of a newborn? To be the 24 hour 7 days a week no matter what caregiver?

GuyNextDoor
Feb 6, 2010, 10:48 AM
But if the girl was 10 yrs old at the time, and (for example) the boy was 11, doesn't that make them both guilty of sex with a minor below the age of consent?

Dagless
Feb 6, 2010, 11:57 AM
I believe an investigation should be done on this regardless of if it was consensual or not.

I think the mother would rather watch cartoons.

Antares
Feb 6, 2010, 06:20 PM
Do you know of any 16 year old girl, much less boy who is ready to take care of a newborn? To be the 24 hour 7 days a week no matter what caregiver?

There are 20 year olds and 30 year olds who are not ready to care for a newborn, as well. Age has nothing to do with it. Such ideas are imposed by cultural concepts/norms/morals. Many 15 and 16 year olds have cared for babies, perfectly well, throughout history.

steve knight
Feb 6, 2010, 08:06 PM
if daddy was about the same age how the hell is he gonna pay child support? come on now this the real question.
of course the whole thing is crazy it was crazy to follow through with the pregnancy.

dukebound85
Feb 6, 2010, 08:28 PM
There are 20 year olds and 30 year olds who are not ready to care for a newborn, as well. Age has nothing to do with it. Such ideas are imposed by cultural concepts/norms/morals. Many 15 and 16 year olds have cared for babies, perfectly well, throughout history.

Age most certainly does have something to do with it. You can't argue that an 11 year old (assuming same age for "dad") has near the earning potential of a 20-30 year old:rolleyes:

As far as 15-16 year olds throught out history.....times change, societies change. Not a comparison at all

cantthinkofone
Feb 6, 2010, 08:54 PM

Yea back when being preganant at 15 or 16 was perfectly natural. When we lived to an average age of 40.

But there wasn't prom, weekends, sleep overs, highschool, college.

NO 15 or 16 year old is ready mentally to be a parent. Or go thru pregnancy.

Why is the drinking age (in the US at least) 21? Because they believe that is when the human brain is fully developed and wont be hurt as bad by alcohol consumption.

I don't think a 16 year old is ready to drive a vehicle.

I wont be surprised at the least if both the girl and the baby's father are charged with statutory rape. But i also believe it wouldn't be the best thing to do. I think counseling would be best. See why the hell an 11 girl got pregnant in the first place.

Muncher
Feb 6, 2010, 09:13 PM
Yea back when being preganant at 15 or 16 was perfectly natural. When we lived to an average age of 40.

But there wasn't prom, weekends, sleep overs, highschool, college.

Exactly. We evolved for pregnancy in late teens. We delay it now because we live longer, although not without certain risks - for example, the chances of genetic disorders like down syndrome go up as the woman gets older.

Why is the drinking age (in the US at least) 21? Because they believe that is when the human brain is fully developed and wont be hurt as bad by alcohol consumption.

Your brain is damaged regardless of age. It's about the development of the frontal lobe, which is linked to maturity. It finishes developing in the early 20s.

cantthinkofone
Feb 6, 2010, 09:16 PM
Exactly. We evolved for pregnancy in late teens. We delay it now because we live longer, although not without certain risks - for example, the chances of genetic disorders like down syndrome go up as the woman gets older.

Yes. But so many other factors exist now as well. A place to live...Can't just set up a hut and start a family.

Your brain is damaged regardless of age. It's about the development of the frontal lobe, which is linked to maturity. It finishes developing in the early 20s.

wont be hurt as bad ;)

dontmatter
Feb 6, 2010, 09:44 PM

Of course, since statutory rape is rape according to statute, it depends on the statute. Different places have different definitions, but in the U.S., it is certainly not illegal for two teenagers to have sex. The law is about people on either side of the 18 mark - if two teens have sex, they're being foolish teens (as we can expect them to be), but if a 25 year old has sex with a 15 year old, well, somebody's being a bit of a predator, and somebody's consent doesn't carry the same kind of weight as the consent of an adult, so it is statutory rape.

In fact, there's an asterisk to the above 18/below 18 rule, making exceptions for people within (usually) two years of eachother in age. This is so to avoid absurdities like teens legally having sex, then one turns 18, and then for the next 3 months or whatever it would be illegal, until the next person's birthday.

But I'd be that an impragnated 11 year old is more likely a victim of child molestation (which, in a practical sense, it certainly would be if commited by a minor who was not 10 or 12 but 16, say) than not.

dontmatter
Feb 6, 2010, 09:47 PM
But if the girl was 10 yrs old at the time, and (for example) the boy was 11, doesn't that make them both guilty of sex with a minor below the age of consent?

No, 17 year olds can have sex with eachother, perfectly legally.

dukebound85
Feb 7, 2010, 02:45 AM
No, 17 year olds can have sex with eachother, perfectly legally.

you sure?

eawmp1
Feb 7, 2010, 03:26 AM
1) I've attended delivery of mom of 12. This is nothing new.
2) We didn't evolve to have pregnancy at any specific age. When menarche begins, pregnancy can occur. However, success of prgnancy and of the mom living is lower at such a young age so I guess there is sone evolutionary pressure.
3) Age of puberty has gotten younger over the years. Many factors implicated. Those early games of "playing doctor" can have more serious implications.
4) it's not rape if there isn't a significant age difference between the two. At that age, girls are often more physically and emotionally mature than their male peers.

That having been said, overall a sad state of affairs. One wonders it this could have been prevented. I wonder what information about sex this girl was given (or not) by parent(s) prior.

Henri Gaudier
Feb 8, 2010, 04:04 AM
Mazel Tov! :eek:

I hope that was sarcastic!

tikidoc
Feb 8, 2010, 07:20 AM
1) I've attended delivery of mom of 12. This is nothing new.
2) We didn't evolve to have pregnancy at any specific age. When menarche begins, pregnancy can occur. However, success of prgnancy and of the mom living is lower at such a young age so I guess there is sone evolutionary pressure.
3) Age of puberty has gotten younger over the years. Many factors implicated. Those early games of "playing doctor" can have more serious implications.
4) it's not rape if there isn't a significant age difference between the two. At that age, girls are often more physically and emotionally mature than their male peers.

That having been said, overall a sad state of affairs. One wonders it this could have been prevented. I wonder what information about sex this girl was given (or not) by parent(s) prior.

Agreed. I too have taken care of a couple of 12 year olds during pregnancy/delivery, although it has been a while. The teen (and pre-teen) pregnancy rates went down in the past decade but may be increasing again.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE60P0XS20100126

Back in the mid-late 90's when I was a resident in a busy public hospital serving a largely poor population, 13 year olds in labor and delivery were fairly common. I am in a less busy place now, but patients 15 and below have become pretty uncommon.

Ca$hflow
Feb 8, 2010, 07:26 AM

Would it be rape if she had consensual sex with another 11 teen year old?

aloofman
Feb 8, 2010, 10:44 AM
Maybe I'll invent a hormone shot that inhibits child conception until a certain age (not

Hmm, how would that not be birth control?

mscriv
Feb 8, 2010, 11:27 AM
The only point that can be made thus far is that this young mother and child will need lots of support. Hopefully, and seemingly from the article, this will come from their immediate family. Outside of that we don't have enough information to make any comments beyond mere speculation. I wish them well.

The linked story that describes the pregnancy of the 5 year old child is quite unbelievable. My son turns 5 in two months. I simply can't imagine a young girl going through that at such a young age.