Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Hello all - not really a Mac topic but... I'm hooking up a DVD player to a new TV. As I understand it composite video cables are the best way to go for optimum picture quality - my question is, since composite cabes are essentially RCA cables can I use any RCA cables or only the more expensive ($49.00) Monster (or other brand) composite cables? Would there be any difference in quality? Some employee at Worst Buy claimed that the composite cables handle the signals differently. I have a bunch of old Monster RCA cables I could use and save the $$. Any input?

aricher

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Thanks Laslo - I'll try it out tonight - just thought I'd get some opinoins before I left the office.

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
Are you sure that you don't mean component video. Component is the type that has three seperate wires for delivering the video and composite uses the single, yellow color coded wire. Both wires have RCA style connectors.

I have never had any trouble connecting a dvd player using component video cables. I would suggest that you get a real set of component video cables rather than composite cables. Component video cables are normally rated for 75ohm operation whereas composite cables are not always. If you were to use composite video cables, then you would have to use at least 3 composite video cables since composite audio cables cannot properly handle the requirements of video. The cables look the same, but they are not.

Bottom line spend some money to get a sett of component video cables. Monster isn't all that great, but there are plenty of other cable companies around. Blue Jeans Cable has a set of component video cable sfor cheaper than Monster and they are better quality. You may not be able to tell much difference between cable companies though depending on what type of tv and dvd player you are using.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Let us know how it turns out. My father-in-law bought a new HDTV, but he has no clue about what is required, and I am only slightly more knowledgable. If the RCA's work I might try it for his TV.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Vector - you are correct - I meant to say "component" instead of "composite." I'm going to try the setup with my Monster Audio cables this evening - if the quality is passible I'll stick with it - if not I'll check into the Blue Jeans Cable link you posted. Thanks.

macidiot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
worst to best: single rca-->s-video-->component-->dvi/hdmi

I remember helping my friend set up a dvd player for his mom. We tried using plain RCA cables for the component vid and it worked like a champ. As for image quality, since we didn't have anything to compare to, don't know if it would have been improved by "special" component cables. AFAIK, the main thing about component video is that it splits the RGB into 3, basically giving you more bandwidth. Result is better color...

The biggest boost in picture quality is when you jump to s-video from RCA or to DVI from anything else. DVI is the best, since it is basically passing a pure signal. I have DVI for my HD receiver-->tv and its a whole lot better than component or s-video(I compared). Unfortunately, my tv only has one dvi port or I'd switch my dvd to dvi too. Then again, I think dvd is fairly low rez... :D

And I wouldn't trust anything said by a Best Buy employee. Mostly clueless. And I agree with the other posting about Monster cables. Probably a step up from what comes with the player, but there are better out there for less money.

fradac

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Atlanta, GA
hello everyone

since Composite Cables and Component both use RCA connectors, there is NO restriction as to which cable you use.

my friend had the same question and i told him he could use his RCA cables, for Audio, Compsite and Component doesn't matter. SO YOU CAN USE ANY CABLES.

if you have many RCA cables lying around try to get the thickest ones for the Component. Thicker cables usally mean higer gague wire for more power carrying. also if you have gold plated ends that helps in better conduction.

i hope this helps.

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
Fradac, you are mostly right except for the fact that you would not want to use RCA composite cables that are labled for audio for video. Most audio RCA composite cables are rated for fewer ohms and cannot deliver the quality that a higher rated composite video or component cable can.

My digital coaxial audio cables also use rca style connectors, but it should not be used for component video, composite video, or analog RCA style audio connections. Just because the wire might fit and possibly operate, doesn't mean that it should be used instead of the correct wire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.