PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Rolls Out FamilyMap iPhone Application

MacRumors
Feb 5, 2010, 12:55 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/02/05/atandt-rolls-out-familymap-iphone-application/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/02/05/135426-familymap_iphone.jpg

AT&T today announced (http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4800&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=30481) the release of AT&T FamilyMap (http://appshopper.com/navigation/att-familymap), a new iPhone application that integrates with the company's existing FamilyMap (http://www.att.com/familymap) service to allow families to keep track of each other while on the go.

The AT&T FamilyMap app brings a streamlined approach to helping families stay up to speed on each other's whereabouts by locating wireless devices within a shared family account. The app provides iPhone users with access to FamilyMap's popular features, which until now, were only accessible through a computer.

The FamilyMap service is priced at $9.99 per month for two phones or $14.99 per month for up to five phones charged to the customer's AT&T bill. The iPhone application carries no additional charge beyond the monthly subscription.

Features offered in the service include the ability to view each phone's whereabouts on an interactive map, as well as the ability to label frequently-visited locations on the maps for easy reference. The application also offers on-demand locating, integrated messaging via e-mail, SMS, and voice, and automated checks to see if a family member is on schedule to reach a given location.

AT&T FamilyMap can only be established for phones on a single shared billing account, with the account owner overseeing all privacy preferences.

Article Link: AT&T Rolls Out FamilyMap iPhone Application (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/02/05/atandt-rolls-out-familymap-iphone-application/)

mattwolfmatt
Feb 5, 2010, 01:06 PM
Can't the be accomplished through "where's my iphone?"

jholzner
Feb 5, 2010, 01:07 PM
Can't the be accomplished through "where's my iphone?"

You can't use that feature via an iPhone.

Oh, and it requires a Mobile me account as well.

jayducharme
Feb 5, 2010, 01:10 PM
Seems like a nice and useful idea, but not worth the extra money on top of my already-expensive plan. This would be a nice app to have built into the iPhone, with the fees included in the monthly plan. Can you imagine the families that would jump on board for this, with parents being able to keep track of their children?

gber
Feb 5, 2010, 01:12 PM
Another price rip-off.

iansilv
Feb 5, 2010, 01:19 PM
Att are ******* for charging for this. I am all for capitalism, but this is just crap. This simple feature adds another layer of safety for parents looking out for their children. The number of people who actually use it, the small revenue stream it generates,a nod the fact that we already pay for unlimited data and have gps units on our phones means that there is no reason, no justifiable reason for this extra charge to be had.

**** you ATT. I can't wait for other carriers to get the iPhone.

meagain
Feb 5, 2010, 01:19 PM
Too expensive. Would've been cool though.

meagain
Feb 5, 2010, 01:21 PM

NO KIDDING! Even if the other carrier sucks more, I can't wait to switch. But how 'could' it suck more?

lowbatteries
Feb 5, 2010, 01:21 PM
I would love a feature like this for MobileMe. In fact, any API for the "find my iphone" feature would be cool, to have background location tracking.

adammull
Feb 5, 2010, 01:42 PM
You can just use Loopt, for free. Way to go AT&T, charging for what I can get elsewhere for free.

csouv
Feb 5, 2010, 01:48 PM
IMO this is very useful if you have young kids various ages attending different activities all over the city at different times. I can see some folks maybe having an issue with the pricing for it. However, it is certainly helpful if your child happens to cut school on a given day, go somewhere where they are forbidden to go or worse get abducted. It does not require MobileMe like the "Find my phone feature on the iphone" This service uses the built in GPS chip in the handsets or if no GPS is present, it uses the cell towers. This has been around for a couple of years. In the past you would be able to interact with the service via a web browser. Only difference now is that you can also interact with the service via an iphone APP.

LloydBraun89
Feb 5, 2010, 01:58 PM
This takes helicopter parenting to a whole new level

coasterswim
Feb 5, 2010, 02:16 PM
The service has been around forever and can track every single phone type (not just iPhones or even GPS-enabled ones). The only new thing that's happened is you can SEE that map from your iPhone now. It had previously required a computer.

bijanorama
Feb 5, 2010, 02:29 PM
I think it would have been smarter for AT&T to make this a free feature and advertise the hell out of it on TV. Right now they're pushing browsing the web and talking on the phone at the same time, who cares?

My guess is families would switch from Verizon or Sprint for this feature without a second thought.

PUSH IT, AT&T! Make it the killer feature it should be!

penguy
Feb 5, 2010, 02:29 PM
as a parent of one teenage son and one nearly there, I could see a use for this. But for $10 per month? ridiculous. I think my cell bill is over $160/month as it is!

iansilv
Feb 5, 2010, 02:33 PM
I think it would have been smarter for AT&T to make this a free feature and advertise the hell out of it on TV. Right now they're pushing browsing the web and talking on the phone at the same time, who cares?

My guess is families would switch from Verizon or Sprint for this feature without a second thought.

PUSH IT, AT&T! Make it the killer feature it should be!

There we go- hey ATT- how about figuring out some actual P.R.???

optophobia
Feb 5, 2010, 02:38 PM
Actually anyone who can afford to pay for their kids to have iphones can probably shell out a bit more to have this feature.

Arran
Feb 5, 2010, 02:39 PM

Indeed. I can see kids resenting this and switching their phones off. Or even worse, leaving them at their friend's house while they go off and explore the big bad world. Then if they do get in trouble, they haven't got a phone handy.

Dumb idea because... kids are smart. (well, mine are - but then isn't that what all parents say?)

Doctor Q
Feb 5, 2010, 02:40 PM
If they want to make money, they should give it away free, then charge for an antidote that lets you disguise your true location. Naughty kids, sneaky spouses, and maybe even some mischievous parents would snap it up!

Asar
Feb 5, 2010, 02:41 PM
should be a free service.

bobr1952
Feb 5, 2010, 02:55 PM

I agree--talk about nickel and dime to death--that seems to be all we get from service providers.

bretm
Feb 5, 2010, 03:03 PM
NO KIDDING! Even if the other carrier sucks more, I can't wait to switch. But how 'could' it suck more?

Verizon for example, would cost more per plan if they have it their way. Plus, they would give you less for your money. Less features (like 3G internet and phone at same time) and for sure they'd charge $20/month for this instead of $10.

But they have great coverage. ATT works great in ATL, so I have great coverage, speed, etc. Pretty much the standard here. Verizon is no better. Oh, but their 3G is slower and they cost more.

Indeed. I can see kids resenting this and switching their phones off. Or even worse, leaving them at their friend's house while they go off and explore the big bad world. Then if they do get in trouble, they haven't got a phone handy.

Dumb idea because... kids are smart. (well, mine are - but then isn't that what all parents say?)

Yeah, well kids have tried that. The answer is basically, if you don't answer your phone in x minutes, you're grounded. And get a mobileme acct instead of this crap and double check they're where they say when they say it.

hanpa
Feb 5, 2010, 03:05 PM
I suppose that you need to have to app running to use GPS, making it more or less worthless since background execution is not allowed.

ccoulson
Feb 5, 2010, 03:06 PM
I'd like to see Apple provide this through the MobileMe Family Pack and the Where's My iPhone feature.

BTW, if you download one of the browsers from the AppStore - like Perfect Browser - you *can* access me.com and do a Where's My iPhone - I have done this to keep tabs on my kids.

robbyx
Feb 5, 2010, 03:10 PM
Why don't we just implant our kids with tracking devices? Why stop at the kids? Perhaps the state should implant all of us! It amazes me to see people embrace ideas like this with absolutely no concern for the long-term ramifications. I guess "privacy" and "individuality" are outdated concepts in the tech slave age. Today, FamilyMap. Tomorrow, well, I shudder to think.

Arran
Feb 5, 2010, 03:10 PM
Yeah, well kids have tried that. The answer is basically, if you don't answer your phone in x minutes, you're grounded. And get a mobileme acct instead of this crap and double check they're where they say when they say it.

Mine would probably cook up an excuse like: "no coverage", "battery died" , "ringer was off for school and I forgot to turn it back on". Something like that. We'd argue back and forth and I'd probably lose. Kids have immense reserves of energy when it comes to that.

But anyway, I'm not sure I'd use this tracking service even if it was free. It destroys trust - and it's a poor substitute for real communication.

libertyforall
Feb 5, 2010, 03:14 PM
YAWN, how about TETHERING instead?! :mad:

bks691
Feb 5, 2010, 03:15 PM

For instance if the iPhone went to verizon (which it never will for these reasons for starters) there would be no WiFi, GPS, a gig a verizon bloatware, slooow network speeds, and you would be getting a hell of alot less for more money. I could keep going but I think you understand now.

yukio
Feb 5, 2010, 03:21 PM
i love how the accuracy in the example is "somewhere within 1.5 mile circle."

macFanDave
Feb 5, 2010, 03:43 PM
Wow, I'll get my girlfriend to pay for this! We'll be able to track my wife's location and she'll know exactly when she has to get the hell out.

Now that this technology is available, I need to go find a girlfriend!

I'm glad I am signed up with the Scarlet A . . . AT&T, that is ;)

HitchHykr
Feb 5, 2010, 03:46 PM
You can just use Loopt, for free. Way to go AT&T, charging for what I can get elsewhere for free.

Wouldn't you have to have Loopt running for your phone to get tracked? I would assume that this AT&Ts App could track your phone based on the cell towers, so it's not quite the same service.

mrwr
Feb 5, 2010, 04:12 PM
That relocate button looks fun though. Wonder if they have a big hand that comes down from the sky or they're using some hidden ultra strong magnets in the iPhone?

Maybe it won't work till OS 4.0 and it'll harness the power of the Steve Jobs reality distortion field?

SFStateStudent
Feb 5, 2010, 04:15 PM
Dumbest FREE app I've ever seen; rope-a-dope to pay to locate your FAMILY...:eek::eek::eek:

No problem deleting this piece of crap app from the thieves at AT&T...(tried to give NO STARS, but I had to give ONE STAR b/c it's a piece of crap)

DaveGee
Feb 5, 2010, 04:26 PM
Wow, I'll get my girlfriend to pay for this! We'll be able to track my wife's location and she'll know exactly when she has to get the hell out. Now that this technology is available, I need to go find a girlfriend! I'm glad I am signed up with the Scarlet A . . . AT&T, that is ;)

You mean you're married and STILL want to get involved with yet another woman?!?! You must be a newlywed... Nothing else could possibly explain this outlandish mindset! :D

DaveGee
Feb 5, 2010, 04:36 PM
Dumbest FREE app I've ever seen; rope-a-dope to pay to locate your FAMILY...:eek::eek::eek: No problem deleting this piece of crap app from the thieves at AT&T...(tried to give NO STARS, but I had to give ONE STAR b/c it's a piece of crap)

I concur, AT&T has clearly learned nothing from the iTunes App store!

Micro payments are far more acceptable to the majority of the public at large. Had they priced this at $2.99 - $4.99 (max) a month droves of families would activate it without even thinking twice. $14.99 a month?!?! Really?!?! Do they even think about what the public at large would pay prior to developing a service.

@ 14.99 I can only imagine 90%+ family plan subscribers would pass on this service. Perhaps even 95%+.

..or.. I could even see the possibility of a $9.99 per month fee that would enable a SUITE of different services that were previously unavailable but $14.99 just for a one-trick-pony .. Nah... I don't see it...

macFanDave
Feb 5, 2010, 05:09 PM
You mean you're married and STILL want to get involved with yet another woman?!?! You must be a newlywed... Nothing else could possibly explain this outlandish mindset! :D

No, I'm an oldly-wed. I really like women except when it comes to contractual agreements. That's the mistake I'll fix next time! :)

Edmar
Feb 5, 2010, 05:25 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Can you do this with Google Latitude?

SFStateStudent
Feb 5, 2010, 05:27 PM
I concur, AT&T has clearly learned nothing from the iTunes App store!

Totally agree, I would have bought the app for that price...:cool:

macswitcha2
Feb 5, 2010, 07:06 PM
AT&T must be smoking crack if they want people to spend $10 a month for that!

ThunderSkunk
Feb 5, 2010, 07:50 PM
(1) there would be no WiFi, (2) GPS, (3) a gig a verizon bloatware, (4) slooow network speeds, and (5)you would be getting a hell of alot less for more money.

Ok.

1. There's no wifi when I'm out & about talking on a cellphone. Downloading an email while I'm talking on the cell network? No, AT&T is right, verizon can't do that, but guess what, in the few years I've had an iphone, AT&T hasn't been able to either.

2. That super handy GPS that traces your little blue dot out into mapless space as soon as you get out of town, and cell reception fades? Like, where you'd actually need GPS? What a loss.

3. Do you really think Apple would allow Verizon to pile a gig of its own bloatware on the iPhone?

4. Slower than the Edge network we're on 90% of the time anyway? Actually, by pulling over a considerable amount of potential customers from AT&T, AT&Ts network would improve... wait, make that, get worse slightly more slowly. & Apple would likely require V to meet capacity requirements with system upgrades to ensure a quality experience, having learned the hard way from AT&T, that cell companies here will do as little as technically possible in terms of actually providing the services people are paying for.

5. Getting a hell of lot less what? Frankly, I could use a plan that gave me less. A $15 a month data plan and $15 a month of minutes at their going rate would be more than plenty.

jav6454
Feb 5, 2010, 08:15 PM
Another price rip-off.

Instead of bitching off, how about actually looking for a service that does what you need it to when it comes to location services?

Att are ******* for charging for this. I am all for capitalism, but this is just crap. This simple feature adds another layer of safety for parents looking out for their children. The number of people who actually use it, the small revenue stream it generates,a nod the fact that we already pay for unlimited data and have gps units on our phones means that there is no reason, no justifiable reason for this extra charge to be had.

You want this service free? Apple sells MobileMe and that carries a similar approach. You don't bitch about that don't you? There are other methods, some of them free, no need to yap and yap negatively about something you ain't getting.

Too expensive. Would've been cool though.

Cool it is, expensive depends on the person. If dad and mom are already spending $$ so that Dan and Jane have their iPhones, $14.99 seems a bit cheap for them at this point.

A good thought. People should learn to think like this. If it's expensive, let's look elsewhere.

Sorry, but other companies charge? Why would you get it free? Also, see above.

I agree--talk about nickel and dime to death--that seems to be all we get from service providers.

All carriers including Verizon nickel and dime you; hell all corporations do.

Ahhh, yes, I would have wished this were the case.

Icestorm815
Feb 5, 2010, 09:20 PM
I think it's great that they released the app. Its an free extension of a service that they already offer. It's similar in respect to apple's mobile me gallery and mobile me idisk application.
While I personally wouldn't be interested in the service, I can see its potential benefits. I don't have any children, but I can picture 10 dollars a month being a small price to pay if it gives you piece of mind. Nothing would be worse than knowing you child may have been abducted and you have no idea where he or she may be.

coolbreeze
Feb 5, 2010, 09:56 PM
Doesn't google latitude do this for free?

mattwolfmatt
Feb 5, 2010, 10:10 PM

You're right, the mobilme ripoff: $120 a year for a family pack (includes idisk, wireless syncing on all devices, etc). This is way cheaper: just $15 a month.

Someone else made a good point: if you can afford to give your kids iphones, wow. That's something.

cocky jeremy
Feb 5, 2010, 11:41 PM
Instead of bitching off, how about actually looking for a service that does what you need it to when it comes to location services?

You want this service free? Apple sells MobileMe and that carries a similar approach. You don't bitch about that don't you? There are other methods, some of them free, no need to yap and yap negatively about something you ain't getting.

Cool it is, expensive depends on the person. If dad and mom are already spending $$ so that Dan and Jane have their iPhones, $14.99 seems a bit cheap for them at this point.

A good thought. People should learn to think like this. If it's expensive, let's look elsewhere.

Sorry, but other companies charge? Why would you get it free? Also, see above.

All carriers including Verizon nickel and dime you; hell all corporations do.

Ahhh, yes, I would have wished this were the case.

You work for AT&T? You sure are defensive about this.

Saladinos
Feb 6, 2010, 12:51 AM
Why don't we just implant our kids with tracking devices? Why stop at the kids? Perhaps the state should implant all of us! It amazes me to see people embrace ideas like this with absolutely no concern for the long-term ramifications. I guess "privacy" and "individuality" are outdated concepts in the tech slave age. Today, FamilyMap. Tomorrow, well, I shudder to think.

Yea, and I suppose all those parents who've had their kids abducted are just whingers, right? These sorts of tools are useful if a kid manages to hide their phone. It's not just about cramping their style - it's about their safety. No matter how much they don't like it, they're a vulnerable section of society.

And, actually, it is about cramping their style a bit. Kids are stupid and easily influenced. Pretty much the whole western world has a problem with teenage pregnancies and binge drinking, for example (to varying degrees, obviously).

Long-term ramifications shouldn't be too bad. Ask anyone above 30 how hard their dad used to beat them, and how many kids in their school had kids while still in school.

JMax1
Feb 6, 2010, 09:49 AM
Couple thoughts-

-You could just "not tell" your kids you have bought this service, to avoid them from leaving their phone someplace or turning it off to avoid telling you where they are.

-You could just call them to find out where they are.

-If they lie, they shouldn't have a phone (or pay for it themselves).

-It is kind of a rip-off. But it's just another service, so of course they should charge for it. $15/month for up to 5 phones. That's about 10cents a day per phone. Seems like it MIGHT be worth it for that.

3goldens
Feb 6, 2010, 10:51 AM
waste of time and money, who cares where these people are...

do you have know ever fraking minute where your, wife, kid or husband's are.....

well on the other hand, if your Hillary Clinton, or Elizabeth Edwards you might!:eek:

dfeigenbaum1
Feb 6, 2010, 10:56 AM
Another ATT Rip-off

felipestrong
Feb 6, 2010, 11:11 AM
You're right, the mobilme ripoff: $120 a year for a family pack (includes idisk, wireless syncing on all devices, etc). This is way cheaper: just $15 a month.

Someone else made a good point: if you can afford to give your kids iphones, wow. That's something.

Ummm, you do realize that $120 a year translates into $10 a month, which is less than AT&T's $15 a month???

$15 a month = $180 a year.

jav6454
Feb 6, 2010, 11:33 AM
You work for AT&T? You sure are defensive about this.

No, I just don't like dumb comments like some of the ones I quoted. Seriously, AT&T isn't charity and they will charge whatever they feel is fair. You don't like it, there are other services out there. No need to bash AT&T unnecesarily.

casik
Feb 6, 2010, 12:08 PM

HAHAHAHA it's not cheaper... $15/month for a year is what... $180 vs MobileMe for $120? I think what the app does that MobileMe does not do is locate non-iPhone devices on your account... correct me if I'm wrong but this probably uses triangulation based on your cellphone location vs using gps...

just a thought.

tzeshan
Feb 6, 2010, 04:09 PM
I think ATT will be able to tell you where your child is.

justinfreid
Feb 6, 2010, 08:39 PM
My guess is that ATT uses GSM check-in and cell phone triangulation, for the most part, which differentiates this product some from Google Latitude, Brightkite, etc.

I think it's interesting, though, that Apple itself doesn't allow MobileMe subscribers to use "Find My iPhone" from other iPhones, which would devalue this insanely expensive ATT product.

Think of all the phone calls and texts that could be avoided by having reliable, always on, GPS locations of the people on your Family Talk plan!

justinfreid
Feb 6, 2010, 08:40 PM

Right on - but there's always BlackRa1n...

iphones4evry1
Feb 6, 2010, 11:23 PM
What the f ??????

I sure am glad they didn't have this crap when I was a kid. Technology has been cool for kids up to this point. Now your mom will always know where you are. Some loser at AT&T who must have been a momma's boy during his childhood decided he was going to punish the rest of society.

LAME !

*update: I could see this as being valuable for emergency situations, and only turned on under special circumstances, but to allow a mother to monitor her teenagers 24/7 ruins teenage years. Half of the thrill of being a junior high and high school kid is being able to explore the world and be free and independent during those few hours after school. This is going to rob kids of that part of human development. I'm afraid to see what the next generation is going to be like. A bunch of sheltered children.

"Hey Billy, we're going to cross the street and ride our skateboards on that cool ramp in the park."
"I'm not allowed to cross that street."
"Hey guys. Billy's not allowed to cross the street. hahaha."
(FYI: when I was a kid, I never did anything my parents would have been shocked at like drugs or any crap like that, but I sure did have fun hanging out with my friends and doing "stuff that kids do." It was great. I'd hate the idea of knowing that my mom always knew where my cell phone is and never knowing when she's watching me.)

Rodimus Prime
Feb 6, 2010, 11:35 PM
No, I just don't like dumb comments like some of the ones I quoted. Seriously, AT&T isn't charity and they will charge whatever they feel is fair. You don't like it, there are other services out there. No need to bash AT&T unnecesarily.

This service is 100% pure greed by AT&T. Here is what it cost them in terms of money $0. Yep that is right $0. They already were required by law to have that part of the back bone in place. Hell we all pay the damn E911 fees that cover the cost for that system plus some profit now all wrap up in that damn fee.

Fact of the matter is other service already do it for free (Google latitude for example). Mobile Me can do it and ATT does not front the cost for that one.I have a program on my blackberry that I can remotely tract my phone for free.

Depends how you do explain it to your kids and trust is a two way street. If you explain it that you are justing using it for safety and not to keep track of were ever they are. Most I figure would accept that.

I would expect my future kids to tell me were they are going with their friends. I would never plan on looking at the map unless I was worried about them. Only time I would use it for tracking them is as they get into extracurricular activities and on the way back from the event to give me a good ETA on when they will be returning. For college age kids track them on the return drive home.
At the same token not use to to question what they have been doing or what they are up 2.

dukebound85
Feb 6, 2010, 11:47 PM

If this was "joe blow iphone app developer", there would be no uproar

who cares who made the app?

They can charge as they please.....like any other app in the app store

jav6454
Feb 7, 2010, 01:52 AM
This service is 100% pure greed by AT&T. Here is what it cost them in terms of money $0. Yep that is right $0. They already were required by law to have that part of the back bone in place. Hell we all pay the damn E911 fees that cover the cost for that system plus some profit now all wrap up in that damn fee.

Fact of the matter is other service already do it for free (Google latitude for example). Mobile Me can do it and ATT does not front the cost for that one.I have a program on my blackberry that I can remotely tract my phone for free.

And like I said, there is choice, you don't like it; there are other options for you. Like the ones you just mentioned. It's their service and they can price is how ever they want. Do I think it's pricey? Yes. Yet I don't make dumb remarks on how expensive it is if I am not going to get it.

Rodimus Prime
Feb 7, 2010, 10:14 AM
And like I said, there is choice, you don't like it; there are other options for you. Like the ones you just mentioned. It's their service and they can price is how ever they want. Do I think it's pricey? Yes. Yet I don't make dumb remarks on how expensive it is if I am not going to get it.

The thing is if we the costumer never call them on thier greed they will keep abusing their power. It takes both not using it and publicly showing everyone the greed behind it to force them to change.
This is almost as bad as text messages which they abuse because olgamonoply they have.

neuroblade
Feb 7, 2010, 11:30 AM

No joke. As soon as I saw that this app was available, I said to myself, "Yep, another way to nickel and dime us to death."

IF AT&T were a car company they would charge you for cupholders, windshield wipers, gas tank cap, and keys ("Hey, another great feature to add value and extend the usefulness of your automobile - keys!"). Charging premiums for text messaging is another example of how ALL the cell phone carriers collude to fix prices (not just AT&T). This is what the government should look into - oligopolies and price fixing.

kernkraft
Feb 7, 2010, 12:06 PM
Hey, there's an app for that! Actually, there are several apps that duplicate these functions. Also, if AT&T tells you that your kid's iPhone is in a mile and a half radius, in what way are you more informed? Is there a pub within their school? A topless bar? A good spot to buy crack, get pregnant and join some freak sect?

You see, it's just wiser to sit down, relax and not to waste your money on your kid at all. Forget the iPhone, get them an iPod Nano and from time to time just watch the videos that they take of their hot schoolmates. :)

jupp0r
Feb 7, 2010, 12:07 PM

Thanks, I was really shocked by all the comments here. Imagine how you all would have felt growing up under 24/7 surveillance! Have you ever heard of the concept of TRUST and RESPONSIBILITY and that those two things might actually be good for a child's development and the relationship to it's parents?

Just my $.02

floatingspirit
Feb 7, 2010, 01:29 PM

No pun intended, right?

AT&T: why don't u just start charging for every digit dialed in a phone number?

Blinkwing
Feb 7, 2010, 09:48 PM
If I had kids, I'd rather just call/txt them to make sure they're A OK.

AT&T are doing a good job at making parents think their kids need to be bubble wrapped.

lazyrighteye
Feb 8, 2010, 01:51 PM
Hard to believe (well, not really) that they charged (let alone, so much) for this service.
Can't similar functionality be achieved (more or less) with Loopt (free)?

mattwolfmatt
Feb 8, 2010, 02:30 PM
Ummm, you do realize that $120 a year translates into $10 a month, which is less than AT&T's $15 a month???

$15 a month = $180 a year.

HAHAHAHA it's not cheaper... $15/month for a year is what... $180 vs MobileMe for $120? I think what the app does that MobileMe does not do is locate non-iPhone devices on your account... correct me if I'm wrong but this probably uses triangulation based on your cellphone location vs using gps...

just a thought.

Do you know what sarcasm is?

baryon
Feb 8, 2010, 02:50 PM
Couldn't developers just make an App that does this with the GPS with 100% accuracy for FREE? How come there's no App like that? Why is it limited to family? Why isn't it free? It costs nothing to the carrier, all you should have to pay for is maybe the App. I'm sure there are loads of Apps out there that can submit your GPS location to a server and do this!

Rodimus Prime
Feb 8, 2010, 03:25 PM
Couldn't developers just make an App that does this with the GPS with 100% accuracy for FREE? How come there's no App like that? Why is it limited to family? Why isn't it free? It costs nothing to the carrier, all you should have to pay for is maybe the App. I'm sure there are loads of Apps out there that can submit your GPS location to a server and do this!

nope they can not for the iPhone. The complete lack of 3rd party multitasking makes that impossible.

iansilv
Feb 8, 2010, 03:26 PM
nope they can not for the iPhone. The complete lack of 3rd party multitasking makes that impossible.

Perhaps with iOS 4.0?

Michael CM1
Feb 9, 2010, 03:10 AM
I guess the bean counters said they finally can't charge more for texts.

Little Endian
Feb 9, 2010, 07:48 AM
This Family Map and the mobile me find my iphone features are a joke. Whether you can get a location lock with accuracy of 1.5 miles or 300 feet is pretty useless if you want to find a person or much less an iphone. If these features allowed you to get a GPS lock down to 25 feet outdoors or sub 300 feet indoors then I would be impressed.

I recently lost an iphone and tried to use the mobile me "find my iphone" feature and the best it could do was let me know that my iphone was lost in a 1 mile radius with some 200 plus buildings and 10,000 or so people in that range. Needless to say it was not much help in locating my phone, except for confirming the fact that it was in part of the city that I knew I lost it in. I got my phone back on sheer luck of having someone with at least some idea of ethics who found it and returned it to me.

As far as Family Map goes..... think about it. The people who would use it would like to know if their Kid is in school on Campus and not at the mall or at home that may very well be just 1 mile or less away. A 1 mile or so accuracy is S*&t for trying to get a clue on where someone may be in most cases. It's great if you want to know if that person is still in the same city or part of town but in most urban situations it is useless.

Hardsheller
Feb 9, 2010, 08:00 AM

I do it with my iPhone and "Bolt" which let's you simulate firefox or safari for a mac.

coasterswim
Feb 9, 2010, 12:04 PM
I said it before and I'll say it again:

This service is not new! This has been around for ages. The only think AT&T has provided here is a FREE way to access this PAID service via iPhone rather than finding a computer.

This is not about a child's iPhone! A lot of people in this thread are saying things along the lines of, "Well, if the parents are already buying their kids iPhones...". That's not what this is. This works for any cell phone on AT&T's network, not just iPhones.

e-coli
Feb 10, 2010, 01:25 AM
Some companies just can't seem to get out of their own way. AT&T always manages to turn potential into calamity.

SeaFox
Feb 10, 2010, 06:34 AM
Nah, the cable connecting the parent to the child would annoy others on the street and could be a safety hazard over great distances.

:D:D:D

musiqman
Feb 10, 2010, 08:21 AM

You know people are talking about you... they say you're somewhat paranoid:cool:

musiciscool
Feb 11, 2010, 07:14 AM
so what happens if a pedophile steals your phone? Picture and location of your kids? Maybe they don't even need to steal your phone if they can hack the system. This is lovely.:eek:

musiciscool
Feb 11, 2010, 07:26 AM
[QUOTE=Saladinos;9226893]Yea, and I suppose all those parents who've had their kids abducted are just whingers, right?

This tool actually facilitates abduction. A picture and the location of your children, with your location (miles away) mapped out as well. It's probably very unlikely that a kidnapper is going to leave the kids cellphone on for very long. If that is your hope, the next step Big Brother will do is issue GPS chips for all children, you know, for THEIR safety. :eek:

macroger
Feb 11, 2010, 08:04 AM
I can do this for free on my Droid on Verizon using google lattitude. I can also turn it on/off at will. Kids with the phone in hand could do the same if google lattitude was used.

kicko
Feb 11, 2010, 08:19 AM
All little Kelly has to do is leave her iphone in someone's house or car near where she said she would be and then... audition for teen mom on Mtv while she gets it on with her 38 year old "boyfriend" across town in a burger king bathroon.

nvbrit
Feb 11, 2010, 11:21 AM
You can already do this for free with Google Latitude, why pay for it?

rt_brained
Feb 16, 2010, 11:40 AM
AT&T priced this app at a point they felt "helicopter parents" would be willing to pay. Once that market's adoption has peaked for some time, I would expect AT&T to marginally drop the price but that depends on the app's overall success following launch. Before doing so, a few TV commercials touting success stories of parents who were reunited with their abducted children as a result of this app will help tip decisions of those parents teetering on the edge of a purchase decision.

Fear sells.

rt_brained
Feb 16, 2010, 11:49 AM
...the next step Big Brother will do is issue GPS chips for all children, you know, for THEIR safety. :eek:

Which will open the market for devices parents can buy to periodically (er, daily) scan their child(ren) to assure themselves that the chip is still working; followed soon after by such scare stories on the news as: "Are child abductors buying chip scanners to screen their potential victims?"

It never ends.

Friscohoya
Feb 16, 2010, 05:21 PM
Do people really pay ATT monthly for all of this extra garbage? Arent there other ways to accomplish this service for free?

NIPRING
Feb 22, 2010, 05:22 PM
I really like the idea, but it s too expensive. As it is att isnt exactly the best priced service out there.

jeme
Feb 27, 2010, 07:43 PM
It is funny how everyone is fussing over the $10 per month fee - $120 a year, but is something happened to your child would it be worth $120 to know where they are - I think so - this things are easy to fuss about the price until it prevents something and then the cost is not even a discussion point.

stisdal
Feb 28, 2010, 02:29 PM
I have this feature with ATT. Yes, I think it's to expensive BUT, I have a teenage daughter (she, her mother and I all have I-Phones) and it's worth every penny to check on her from time to time. She is well aware the we can locate her, and she can also locate us. We just don't abuse it. We have also used this to locate my wifes I-phone once when she left it in a resturant, so again: worth it!

As far as a teen leaving their cell to go run, today's teens can't breathe without their cell, no way they are going to leave it or turn it off!

jhon martan
Jun 22, 2010, 06:57 AM
AT&T now allows streaming voip, radio and video over their 3g networks. In turn, Apple has unrestricted the frameworks needed to do this in the iphone sdk. The wifi frameworks for streaming data have always been allowed on the iphone/itouch.
As far as rights to the songs go, you have to go to the publishing companies and get permission to use the songs for the stream. This can end up costing a lot of money because of copyrights ect..

SFC Archer
Dec 8, 2012, 09:06 PM
I know this is an old thread but seemed pointless to start a new one. I am trying to find this app but it is no where in the App store. Does anyone know why it is not there??? Is it temporary or has it been removed permanently??? Just activated this feature on my kids cause I have a daughter that tried sneaking out of the house and I just need to keep track of her for right now.

Thanks in advance for any info provided on this subject!