PDA

View Full Version : mac/pc wireless networking

drewzer987
Aug 25, 2004, 02:36 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to connect my RevC 12"PB to a Windows PC via WiFi in Ad-hoc mode. I can get them connected, but I can only get them to share files (samba shares) . What I'd like to be able to do is share my Win PC's Dialup connection to my Mac. So far, I'm unable to get the mac to find the internet via WiFi. I am sharing the internet connection on the PC, but the Mac just won't connect to the internet through it...What gives? Thanks in advance

mduser63
Nov 23, 2004, 02:15 PM
I have the exact same problem as the original poster. I'm actually using the Windows PC via VNC over wireless right now, and Samba shares are working on both ends, but even though ICS is turned on the PC's dialup connection, the Powerbook just acts like there is no internet connection present when you start Safari up. Has anyone else gotten this to work correctly and have advice?. Like I said, my set up and problem seems to be the exact same as the original poster I'm on a Rev. C 12" Powerbok, trying to use the WinXP computer's dialup connection via a computer to computer (ad-hoc) wireless network.

Thanks!

daveL
Nov 23, 2004, 04:45 PM
Well, I can't see that anythings been done on the Mac side to set up the default route to gain internet access. Are you using the PC as a DHCP server? I suspect not. Go to your Network Preferences and select you airport port and look at the settings. Are there entries for subnet mask, router and DNS servers? If not, you need to set them up. Let me know how your IP addresses are set up on both machines; I might be able to walk you through it. I've done this before in a slightly differrent (no modem) set up and it worked fine.

mduser63
Nov 23, 2004, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the reply Dave. After reading your reply, I put the DNS servers in the TCP/IP tab for Airport in Network preferences, and everything is working fine. I hadn't realized that I needed DNS servers since I don't need them when connecting directly through the internal modem on the Mac.

daveL
Nov 23, 2004, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the reply Dave. After reading your reply, I put the DNS servers in the TCP/IP tab for Airport in Network preferences,in there, and everything is working fine. I hadn't realized that I needed DNS servers since I don't need them when connecting directly through the internal modem on the Mac.
You're welcome; I'm glad I could help.