Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wyundiv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
Hi All,

Considering a 13" MBP purchase in 6 months or so, and have a couple of questions regarding running Windows.

I'd prefer to run Boot Camp and Windows 7 for several applications, mostly for Microsoft Office, Ebay TurboLister, and probably a few other pieces of old software that I need. So there would be long periods of time where I would be using Windows exclusively and other long periods of time (weekends!) when I would be running OS-X exclusively. So my first question is: do the new Macbook Pro's support a feature similar to "hibernation" for the Windows environment, so that I don't have to boot-up and boot-down every time I have to move the laptop? In other words, on my Sony VAIO right now, I open it up, press the power button, and Windows pops up rather quickly (faster than starting up cold). Can I do the same thing with a MBP and Windows?

My second question is for anyone running the newer MBP with Windows and the 9400m chip. Many Nvidia chips have in Windows a feature called "Digital Vibrance" that increases the saturation of images. I find this rather pleasing when looking at my photography. My question is--when running Windows XP/Vista/7 on your Macbook Pro, do you have this Digital Vibrance feature?

Thanks in advance for your helpful replies.

Walter

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
When you're in Windows, you should be able to hibernate just as you would with a PC. The only thing you need to be aware of is that you need to either set your startup disk to the Windows partition, or hold the alt key every time you boot the machine to make sure you go into Windows when you start it back up. Even though Windows is hibernated, it won't automatically go back into Windows if you've still got the machine set up to start on the OSX partition.

wyundiv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
Forgive my ignorance; I've only ever booted one OS on a specific machine. Is it possible to set the startup disk to the Windows partition, so I'd have to hold the alt key down when I wanted to start OSX, or does it always go the other way around? (I'd probably experience more startups in Windows than OSX.)

Thanks Danny!

Walter

When you're in Windows, you should be able to hibernate just as you would with a PC. The only thing you need to be aware of is that you need to either set your startup disk to the Windows partition, or hold the alt key every time you boot the machine to make sure you go into Windows when you start it back up. Even though Windows is hibernated, it won't automatically go back into Windows if you've still got the machine set up to start on the OSX partition.

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Yes, that is possible. You can choose the Windows volume in the Startup Disk area of the OSX System Preferences (or the Boot Camp applet in the Windows Control Panel).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.