Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 18, 2004
This year I'll upgrade to a new computer and CS4. I had planned to buy the computer later in the summer and then CS4 after that, however, I've started getting work files that were created in CS4 (mostly illustrator and photoshop) and it's become a hassle to deal with so I'm beginning to think I'll just go ahead and get CS4 now.

That will mean using the programs on a G5 iMac for a while until I buy the new computer later in the year. Mostly we're talking about working on photoshop files that run from 40MB to maybe 150 MB

If you've gone this route, or know others who have, what's your experience? Can I get acceptable performance on an aging G5 imac?

Or should I avoid doing the CS4 upgrade until after I get a new computer?

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
also to consider in terms of timing: if you buy CS4 at the right time you can get an upgrade to CS5 which is rumored to be released in Q2 of this year.

of course, CS5 will probably not support non-intel macs, so your CPU upgrade will be important as well.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 18, 2004
also to consider in terms of timing: if you buy CS4 at the right time you can get an upgrade to CS5 which is rumored to be released in Q2 of this year.

of course, CS5 will probably not support non-intel macs, so your CPU upgrade will be important as well.

computer ownership is such an endless cycle of updates........ouch in the wallet! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.