PDA

View Full Version : Interesting encounters in college ever since my iBook got fixed...

Miguey
Feb 7, 2010, 11:06 AM
So I bought a new battery and charger so I can take my iBook G4 to my college for the obvious reason of doing nothing in classs. First time I pulled it out(?) my friend next to me looks at it....and she asks, "where's the webcam on it?? my sister has one with a webcam on her mac." I kinda blushed and just went oh its an old model -_-.

next is computer science class. I figured someone would know. yeah... I pulled it out again(?) and my classmates all, "Jesus Christ that things huge!" Normally I was going to respond with, "Thanks, I grew it myself!" but decided to just agree haha.

The point of this thread? Not everyone who owns a mac has a new one! -_-. PPC for life, yo.

fun173
Feb 7, 2010, 11:20 AM
tell the un computer savvy people thats it an intense gaming laptop from apple and it cant have a webcam because there is no room for one

Disc Golfer
Feb 7, 2010, 11:29 AM
Are they really that big? The size difference between my 15" powerbook and 13" mbp is surprisingly little considering the smaller screen and differences in age.

People using laptops in class would have really weirded me out in school, they didn't have that sort of thing Back Then.

Mr_Brightside_@
Feb 7, 2010, 11:35 AM
+1. Still loving the iBook G4. People don't even know what they are, it's quite frightening. Which is partly why I love busting it out :cool: Plus mine is completely adulterated with stickers, coloured keyboard, and random Sharpie and pencil markers. In almost five years, I'm only missing a rubber foot and a chip out of the bezel.

My favourite reaction to my 3G iPod was: What kind of fake iPod is that?

Miguey
Feb 7, 2010, 11:41 AM
tell the un computer savvy people thats it an intense gaming laptop from apple and it cant have a webcam because there is no room for one

haha probably should have. they might have believed it and looked for one O.o

Are they really that big? The size difference between my 15" powerbook and 13" mbp is surprisingly little considering the smaller screen and differences in age.

People using laptops in class would have really weirded me out in school, they didn't have that sort of thing Back Then.

Dunno, but mines thick as hell(?)

+1. Still loving the iBook G4. People don't even know what they are, it's quite frightening. Which is partly why I love busting it out :cool: Plus mine is completely adulterated with stickers, coloured keyboard, and random Sharpie and pencil markers. In almost five years, I'm only missing a rubber foot and a chip out of the bezel.

My favourite reaction to my 3G iPod was: What kind of fake iPod is that?

Lolwut? At least people still know the looks of an older iPod and can recognize one. I kinda wanna bring a clamshell into and class :)

chrismacguy
Feb 7, 2010, 12:58 PM
Heh - I still use my G4 PowerBook every single day (in every class :D) - and have my G4/450 and G3/500 in daily use too - Older Macs FTW (Even if I own a MacBook, I still use PowerPC Macs predominantly) :D

happyfrappy
Feb 7, 2010, 01:08 PM
Before my 12" PowerBook HDD crapped out, I would switch between notebooks every other day: 12" PowerBook G4, ThinkPad T61 Core 2 Duo, then a 15" Alu PowerBook G4.
I've also gotten strange comments whenever I used my old 3rd generation iPod in public...

As far as strange comments:
"When did Apple make that laptop?" (comment on my 12" PowerBook G4)
"Who makes that netbook?" :eek:
"I didn't know netbooks had firewire!" :eek:
"How fast is that netbook?" :eek:
"Where is the webcam?" (comment about the 2003 era 15" Alu PowerBook G4)
"Can I borrow your Express Card memory reader?" (15"/17" PowerBooks uses CardBus)

...I should have let him borrow my Cardbus memory reader, it would have been funny to see him jam a CardBus memory reader into an Express 34 slot :p

Dagless
Feb 7, 2010, 01:57 PM
The iBook and G4 iMac were the machines to bring me over to the Mac side. They were great. Remember talking to my course leader about how the college gave him an old G4 iBook. There and then my jealousy peaked.

Bought a Powerbook some months later, and I'm glad I sold it on now. The display is too dark, the battery was getting old, the overall performance just wasn't good (though I was throwing new apps+OS's at it).

mscriv
Feb 8, 2010, 12:48 PM
We still have a G4 iBook and used it almost daily up until about 5 months ago when we got a MBP. I love the G4 iBook and ours is still running strong. It's not like it's that much bigger than a modern day laptop. I'm judging from your comments that the standard in school's today is a netbook.