PDA

View Full Version : who has ipaq? need some tips and suggestions

howard
Aug 25, 2004, 10:15 PM
i just got an ipaq as a gift along with mark spaces sync software. I'm trying to find places to check out freeware apps however most of the apps you have to run exe first, at markspace.com they say you can install .cab files. so my main question is where can i find those?

also any suggestions for interesting features you've found on your ipaq would be helpful too. btw its a model 2215.

thanks

micvog
Aug 25, 2004, 11:15 PM
i just got an ipaq as a gift along with mark spaces sync software. I'm trying to find places to check out freeware apps however most of the apps you have to run exe first, at markspace.com they say you can install .cab files. so my main question is where can i find those?

also any suggestions for interesting features you've found on your ipaq would be helpful too. btw its a model 2215.

thanks

I actually had a 2215 which I sold before switching to Mac. They are great PPCs which is probably why they are being sold over a year after they were released. IIRC, some sites you might want to visit:

www.brighthand.com
www.pocketpc.com
www.pocketpcthoughts.com
www.pocketpcpassion.com
www.pdabuzz.com
www.handango.com

I also seem to recall there was a Mac program to extract the .cab files from the Windows .exe files. I will see if I can find it.

Good luck.

Michael

howard
Aug 26, 2004, 06:05 AM
I also seem to recall there was a Mac program to extract the .cab files from the Windows .exe files. I will see if I can find it.

Good luck.

Michael

thanks a tone, and a program like that is exactly what i need

howard
Aug 26, 2004, 04:18 PM
i think there is one on pocketmac.net but its bundled with its sync software, i have markspace sync software and don't want to spend another $40. If there is a different application or a site that just gave the cabs that would be helpful.

thanks

techfury90
Aug 26, 2004, 08:06 PM
It doesn't work because it DOES extract a .cab, but the PocketPC .cab is inside that and it fails to look for it. Trust me I know this.

howard
Aug 26, 2004, 08:50 PM
well i successfully installed one exe program by installing it first on a pc then bringing those files over and putting them on the ipaq. i also figured out that some, only some, programs will run if you just put them in windows/start menu/programs and then run them in the programs area.