Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
You know how iCal shows the date as an icon? I was wondering, is there anyway you can get it to keep the date current without opening the program everytime. If I don't open it, it stays as july 17th. Is it even possible? thanks.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
dorqiekat said:
You know how iCal shows the date as an icon? I was wondering, is there anyway you can get it to keep the date current without opening the program everytime. If I don't open it, it stays as july 17th. Is it even possible? thanks.

I KNOW! I hate that too. Bump!

Lee Tom

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
I have iCal set to open automatically whenever I boot. As soon as iCal is open, of course, it displays the correct day in the dock.

It's not the best fix, but it works.

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
puckhead193 said:
I know i hate that to! Look a the bright side, its right once a year! :p

lol, 1 out of 365... not bad...

How do you get it to open when you start up? is it in preference?

Oohh, is there any way you can make the calendar your background? that would be so cool. =)

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Don't know about the background, but for the startup thing:
Go to the Accounts system preference, click on your username, and click on Startup Items.
Click the + sign, and add an application to start up.
If you check the checkmark next to it after it's there, it'll hide itself automagically.

Lee Tom

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Damn, when I saw this thread I was hoping for an answer to that very same question, but it appears as though there is no real solution apart from opening the App. I, too, was hoping there would be a way for it to automatically update itself in the Dock without having to open the program, but whatever - not a big deal in the grand scheme of things!

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
With so many people wanting the same thing, maybe Apple will update it and make us happy? Or... not.. :D

I wish. Can't live without a calendar... would love to see it as a background. *sigh*

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
SC
~Shard~ said:
Damn, when I saw this thread I was hoping for an answer to that very same question, but it appears as though there is no real solution apart from opening the App. I, too, was hoping there would be a way for it to automatically update itself in the Dock without having to open the program, but whatever - not a big deal in the grand scheme of things!

This is fixed in Tiger. 10.3 or less, the only real way is by starting iCal in the background.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Cool, I was actually just going to post again suggesting/predicting that this may indeed be the case.

Hmm, another item to add to my ever-growing list of "Reasons to Buy Tiger" - it's still not long enough for me to warrant purchasing it however... :cool:

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
SC
~Shard~ said:
Cool, I was actually just going to post again suggesting/predicting that this may indeed be the case.

Hmm, another item to add to my ever-growing list of "Reasons to Buy Tiger" - it's still not long enough for me to warrant purchasing it however... :cool:

Hmm, what I really need more than tiger is a new, faster machine...ah well, at least I'll get Tiger for free ;)

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
relimw said:
Hmm, what I really need more than tiger is a new, faster machine...ah well, at least I'll get Tiger for free ;)

Don't we all wish we can just have the new updated version of softwear AND machine? Does anyone know when Tiger is coming out?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.