Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mouseandcat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2010
laptop suffered wine spillage, now it won't boot up.

cleaned the logic board (+ gpu/cpu/heatsink) with isopropanol, rinsed with electronics cleaner (electrosolve), but still won't boot. there are some visible signs of oxidation, very very slight. will post pictures later.....

interesting thing is...........magsafe connector works, ac adapter light only comes on when connector is connected to motherboard.

also the motherboard gets slightly warm to touch when power is plugged in.

when ac plugged in, the macbook won't start up. couple of questions:

1) anyone have a diagram of the a1181 logic board? (2.0ghz, core duo)

2) anyone know how which pins to short on the keyboard connector to power up (in case the keyboard is the problem); remember reading it was the farthest left pins, can someone confirm?

mouseandcat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2010
update 1

i used contact cleaner (volatile, no residue) to clean everything down (took everything apart, cleaned off thermal paste, etc) and reassmbled.

when plugged into power, the motherboard gets slightly warm. the ac power led goes from immediately being green to red for a long time. then it switches between red and green.

battery doesn't charge. it won't boot up.

does anyone have any insight on the grounding of the logic board? on ifixit it says the screws complete the circuit. can anyone confirm?

mactechsupport

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2011
Try this is a last resort, I have rescued a few boards in this manner.

Hi, sorry to hear about the spill. First remove the logic board,ram, battery, and mag safe. Remove the back up battery, disconnect the battery harness from the board. Remove all pieces of black vinyl from the board, they look like electrical tape including the large piece that is under the airport card and on the bottom of the board. Get a soft tooth brush, a bottle of rubbing alcohol and a few q-tips. Pour some alcohol in a bowl and with the tooth brush dip it in the alcohol and vigorously scrub the entire logic board for a couple of minutes. Take a q-tip and dip it in the alcohol and rub the section of the board where the battery connector plugs in on the top and bottom. The next part may sound a little crazy. We are going to "bake" the logic board". Place a sheet of aluminum foil in the oven, make four balls out of foil around an inch in diameter to support the logic board above the foil sheet. Preheat the oven to 350 then place board in oven. Set timer for 7 minutes. Turn off oven, open door and allow the board to cool. Do Not Move Board during this cooling period which will tale about 15 minutes. To test the board you only need to hook up the mag safe connector, the back up battery, the lcd, the speakers and the hard drive cable. Do not hook up the optical cable, the airport card, or install a hard drive at this time. You can install the heat sink and fans but do not connect the plugs yet. Have a confirmed good stick of ram handy, don't rely on the ones that were in the unit during the time of the spill. Without any ram installed plug in the charger to the mag safe. You should get a green light. If all is ok at this point the sleep light should blink and or the macbook might beep indicating no ram found. That is a good sign, unplug and insert ram firmly. Plug back in and wait a few seconds. Let me know how it turns out. Good luck.:cool:

jerryhill

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2011
USA
This happens all the time. It happened to me when I spilled a whole glass of water accidently. And after that it got screwed majorly man. It wont start up and there were other problems in them as well. These laptops are very fragile it seems. One spill and its gone forever. I had to buy a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.