PDA

View Full Version : 15" Powerbook - 126F A Normal Temperature?

dotnina
Aug 26, 2004, 12:49 AM
I've never considered my Powerbook hot (sexy yes, but not hot ;)), but I decided to download a Konfab widget to see what temp my CPU is at.

Turns out, my CPU is running at 126.8 F!

I checked some specs for my PB (http://www.apple.com/powerbook/specs.html, at the bottom in tiny print) and the range of operating temperatures goes up to just 95 F!

So, my questions:

1. Is the operating temp the same thing as the CPU temp?

2. How accurate are programs that tell you your CPU temp?

3. What kind of CPU temps do other 15" Rev C Powerbook owners have?

(By the way, I'm just running Mail, iCal and a few other non-intensive programs. I have my PB on a glass desk in a room that's ~70 F.)

ShadowHunter
Aug 26, 2004, 12:55 AM
I've never considered my Powerbook hot (sexy yes, but not hot ;)), but I decided to download a Konfab widget to see what temp my CPU is at.

I checked some specs for my PB (http://www.apple.com/powerbook/specs.html, at the bottom in tiny print) and the range of operating temperatures goes up to just 95 F!

So, my questions:

(By the way, I'm just running Mail, iCal and a few other non-intensive programs. I have my PB on a glass desk in a room that's ~70 F.)

1. No, I think that is the ambient room temp.

2. They can vary in accuracy, a lot of times its a matter of the thermometer being positioned exactly right...that can affect the temp up or down.

3. I don't know exact temps, but my 1.5Ghz PB15" is EXTREMELY hot sometimes, especially folding....to the point of burning skin; but I live in an extremely hot environment. You're fine.

dotnina
Aug 26, 2004, 12:59 AM
So operating temperature is "how warm it needs to be for me to be able to use my Powerbook(?)" Well that's a little reassuring.

Does Apple post info on how hot their processors should run?

Counterfit
Aug 26, 2004, 01:40 AM
Go to VersionTracker.com and get ThermoGraphX. It will graph the temperatures of all the sensors on your PB (CPU/BOTTOMSIDE, CPU/INTREPID, POWER SUPPLY and BATTERY) It also contains min/max values reported by other users for just about every compatible machine. And FYI, the Max. threshold for CPU/BOTTOMSIDE (which I assume is the temp at which your PB will shut down so it doesn't die) is 167F

gopher
Aug 26, 2004, 09:24 AM

So, my questions:

If you are talking the 15" Powerbook with the ports on the side there is a recall in effect on the batteries of those Powerbooks:

http://depot.info.apple.com/batteryexchange/

Abstract
Aug 26, 2004, 10:34 AM
Why would he get the battery exchange when his laptop is running at normal temperatures? ;)

Trust me, you're fine. 126F is around 52C, which is still normal. The fan turns on at 50C. My 12" PB operates at 50C when its hot outside. I always leave my window open, so it gets hot when it's hot outside. However, right now it's operating at..... 45.5C, and its night time and my window is open. :)

dabern
Aug 26, 2004, 11:15 AM
I regularly see CPU temps in the high 130's on mine and so far so good. BTW, Apple's specs are for ambient temperatures.

Vector
Aug 26, 2004, 11:49 AM
That's fine, my 15" runs between 110's and 130's.

Biker21098
Aug 26, 2004, 12:22 PM
Mine on highest energy setting is always at least in the 133's, but when im doing SETI, or going through pics, photoshop, preview, or editing in FCP, im usually right up at 145. Fan kicks in at 145.6 then brings it down over time to 142ish. VERY hot, so hot I have a little stand with fans it sits on. But anyways, ya your fine, great temps.

aussie_geek
Aug 26, 2004, 03:50 PM
When I'm playing games the temp can go up to 62.5c which is equal to 144.5 f.

Normally it sits at about 44c which is 111.2 f.

They do get hot but the fan kicks in at 60c (140f) to cool it down.

If you set the processor performance to reduced or automatic your processor will not get as hot.

aussie_geek

seamuskrat
Aug 26, 2004, 04:37 PM
That temp is well within acceptable norms for aG4 powerbook.

What you read in the manual is the operating temps. Its a standard liability phrase found in most electronics. It probably lists humidity and elevation as well. In other words, a powerbook is not guaranteed to work on Mount Everest or for long periods in the Jungles of Borneo.

The actual CPU temp - which depending on the model can be way off as determined by software - is always going to be over 100F. Sometimes as high as 160F. Much higher and you are looking as possible kernel panics, freezes and crashes. Above 180F and you are looking at processor death unless they have other thermal protections built in.

Keep in mind that each model of Mac and g4 has a slightly different method for reporting temp - if at all. Couple this with software that may sample differently, and you can get two very different readings on the same Mac at the same time with different software. Use this info as a guideline but do not rely on it for true values.

As to the battery exchange. My AlBook had a bad batt and it got HOT. Not the CPU, it read about 140F but the book itself got VERY hot. Especially the battery itself. Using an IR temp probe it was 160+. Yet the CPU was 130 to 140 depending on fans.