Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Farinmail I

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2004
I've recently switched from a PC to a new 15" Powerbook and have a query about wireless internet. I got connected to Broadband, but my ISP (BT) only supplied me with a (free) USB modem. How do I connect this to my Airport Base Station? Can I buy a lead to connect the USB plug into an ethernet-ended cable to go into the Base Station, or do I need to get a new modem (if so, what sort?). I'm not sure if i need an ADSL Router or an ADSL Modem (with RJ45 Ethernet port). I though that the Airport Base Station was a router (is it? - what is the difference, if not?). Can I avoid buying another modem?

Great machine and operating system - I wish I'd switched ages ago (Always wanted a Mac and thought about buying one when PowerPC first came out!).

Thanks.

Applespider

macrumors G4
See the thread in the forum about broadband and wireless (it's directly under this one at the moment!)

Basically, the free USB modem probably won't work with your base station - unless it's got an ethernet port (unlikely with most of the free ones). You need to get an ADSL modem that has a ethernet port on it so you can plug that into your base station.

The other thread has some details of an ADSL modem for £30 or so that will do the job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.