PDA

View Full Version : Ipod Touch Billminder Question

Bren312
Feb 8, 2010, 10:11 AM
Hey all, I've got a quick question about Billminder I'm hoping someone can help with. I'm thinking about buying Billminder for my touch but I want to make sure it's going to do what I want it to do. I'm looking for a bill paying app that will have badge notifications without having to actually open the app. I know that Billminder has push notifications, will this also update the badge? Also, I currently turn my touch off every night while I'm sleeping. Do I need to leave it on all night (or turn it on in the morning for a few minutes before leaving the house) to allow my wireless router time to "talk" to my touch to update the badge notifications? Or will the calendar from Billminder automatically realize what the current day is and update my badge notifications? Thanks all!

IronLogik
Feb 8, 2010, 10:19 AM
Hey all, I've got a quick question about Billminder I'm hoping someone can help with. I'm thinking about buying Billminder for my touch but I want to make sure it's going to do what I want it to do. I'm looking for a bill paying app that will have badge notifications without having to actually open the app. I know that Billminder has push notifications, will this also update the badge? Also, I currently turn my touch off every night while I'm sleeping. Do I need to leave it on all night (or turn it on in the morning for a few minutes before leaving the house) to allow my wireless router time to "talk" to my touch to update the badge notifications? Or will the calendar from Billminder automatically realize what the current day is and update my badge notifications? Thanks all!

From my understanding. Push notifications will only work if the device is on. If the device is off and you turn it on the notifications may not arrive. I believe Apple can queue them up but if your device is not on to receive them they may be purged and not guaranteed to arrive. Push notifications in general have no 100% guaranteed delivery.

Bren312
Feb 8, 2010, 10:25 AM
From my understanding. Push notifications will only work if the device is on. If the device is off and you turn it on the notifications may not arrive. I believe Apple can queue them up but if your device is not on to receive them they may be purged and not guaranteed to arrive. Push notifications in general have no 100% guaranteed delivery.

Much obliged, man. Thanks a lot!

IronLogik
Feb 8, 2010, 10:28 AM
Much obliged, man. Thanks a lot!

No problem.

I turn my phone off some nights and I do receive some notifications when I turn it on. But from what I have read in the SDK is that they are not guaranteed to arrive.

I have to assume the iPod Touch kills its wifi connection when you suspend it and turn the screen off. Which means the direct link to Apple's server is severed. Meaning you may or may not get messages very frequently and/or the likelihood of missing notifications is greater.

Someone with an iPod Touch will have to chime in though. I'm more used to the iPhone. So don't take my word for gospel. Others will likely reply with first hand knowledge.