Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
I searched the threads for a way to convert mp4 files to flv and found a lot of old posts some with links that don't work anymore, so I wanted to see if there is anything current and easy. Just need to convert one file that is a mp4 to a flv format and would like a free way to do it. Thanks!

Skengman

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2008
Essex/London
I searched the threads for a way to convert mp4 files to flv and found a lot of old posts some with links that don't work anymore, so I wanted to see if there is anything current and easy. Just need to convert one file that is a mp4 to a flv format and would like a free way to do it. Thanks!

Upload to youtube, then download from youtube?

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
"FLV" as a format could use the following codecs to compress video: On2 VP6, Sorenson Spark or H.264. Which one are you looking for?

If you are wanting to use a frontend SWF to act as a player for the FLV file, try simply changing the file extension to FLV.

I have DW and used it to insert an "FLV" that was simply an H.264 MOV with the extension changed to FLV. Played fine. Flash looks inside the file to determine if it can play it rather than looking at the file extension. I changed the file extension to FLV just because DW wouldn't do its thing without that step.

Using a player like JW Player, I could do this without even changing the extension.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
"FLV" as a format could use the following codecs to compress video: On2 VP6, Sorenson Spark or H.264. Which one are you looking for?

If you are wanting to use a frontend SWF to act as a player for the FLV file, try simply changing the file extension to FLV.

I have DW and used it to insert an "FLV" that was simply an H.264 MOV with the extension changed to FLV. Played fine. Flash looks inside the file to determine if it can play it rather than looking at the file extension. I changed the file extension to FLV just because DW wouldn't do its thing without that step.

Using a player like JW Player, I could do this without even changing the extension.

It is for an ad I am doing on a wedding site (http://www.weddingchicks.com/vendor-directory/?location=jose) they just said they need a flv file but didn't give any other info. You can see a sample a the very bottom of the page I put above the last listings has a "eye candy" button that pulls up a video. I have a highlight sideshow in a mp4 full resolution file that needs to be sized to a certain size in a flv.

thanks,
Mark

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.