Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Hi,

I have a gen. 1 MA, hence it is about 2 years old. I must say, with all the criticism this laptop has received, it has served me beautifully as initially a road warrior, and later as a laptop for the family in and around the house. It is SIGNIFICANTLY easier to travel with than the MBP we also have.

However, of course it is showing its age, and I want to stop by an Apple Center to get a few things fixed (if you think it is worth the trip):

- The battery is worn out, with 450+ cycles, it is at 85% health, and no matter how much I recondition it, it won't get better.
- The screen is wobbling. It easily has a few centimeters of travel in any direction if sitting it a 90 degree position to the keyboard.
- The overheating. It seems it is getting worse, and I wonder if it is dust in the insides.

Of course I have AppleCare, and I could just take it by the shop, but I know they will want to keep it for a few days (to recondition the battery), and I wonder if they will even be able to "fix" any of the small issues I am having?

What is your experience in the matter - be aware I am in Europe, where AppleCare is not a trouble-free as in the US.

Thanks in advance,

KB

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Hi,

I have a gen. 1 MA, hence it is about 2 years old. I must say, with all the criticism this laptop has received, it has served me beautifully as initially a road warrior, and later as a laptop for the family in and around the house. It is SIGNIFICANTLY easier to travel with than the MBP we also have.

However, of course it is showing its age, and I want to stop by an Apple Center to get a few things fixed (if you think it is worth the trip):

- The battery is worn out, with 450+ cycles, it is at 85% health, and no matter how much I recondition it, it won't get better.
- The screen is wobbling. It easily has a few centimeters of travel in any direction if sitting it a 90 degree position to the keyboard.
- The overheating. It seems it is getting worse, and I wonder if it is dust in the insides.

Of course I have AppleCare, and I could just take it by the shop, but I know they will want to keep it for a few days (to recondition the battery), and I wonder if they will even be able to "fix" any of the small issues I am having?

What is your experience in the matter - be aware I am in Europe, where AppleCare is not a trouble-free as in the US.

Thanks in advance,

KB

1. The battery is not worn out. I have 600 cycles right now and I'm only at 8 months of ownership. My health is at 88-91% average, sometimes it drops to 85%. If its over 80%, it's technically fine.

2. Never seen a screen wobble before...

3. The air actually doesn't collect dust like the MacBook or MacBook Pros... you can remove the bottom place and spray some canned air.

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
The wobbly hinge on the screen is covered, even if your warranty has expired.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.