PDA

View Full Version : Quantum trick for pressure-sensitive mobile devices

stridemat
Feb 9, 2010, 05:30 AM
Hand-held devices could soon have pressure-sensitive touch-screens and keys, thanks to a UK firm's material that exploits a quantum physics trick.

In January, Japanese touch-screen maker Nissha also licensed the approach from Yorkshire-based Peratech, who make the composite material QTC.
However, as part of the licensing agreements, Peratech could not reveal the phone, gaming, and device makers that could soon be using the technology to bring pressure sensitivity to a raft of new devices.
Besides control for scrolling, the pressure-sensitivity could lead to a "third dimension" in touchscreens.

For instance, instead of many "2-D" pages of applications, they could be grouped by type on a single page - using the press of a finger to dive into each type and select the desired app.

I see this being very beneficial to a new iPhone interface.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8504373.stm

Skengman
Feb 9, 2010, 05:45 AM
i just logged on here to post the same thing, but with a different view. I dont really see how this can be that useful.

I would be very clunky on such a small screen to have an interface as the article discribes

For instance, instead of many "2-D" pages of applications, they could be grouped by type on a single page - using the press of a finger to dive into each type and select the desired app.

I can see the potential for fast scrolling, but how would you inplement this without it being awkward?

stridemat
Feb 9, 2010, 05:49 AM
I can see how it would be 'clunky' on an iPhone screen. The iPad on the other hand. This could add a 'new dimension' instead of scrolling through pages and pages of apps.

Skengman
Feb 9, 2010, 06:02 AM
You know, I had somehow completely forgotten about that!

I suppose it would work very well on the iPad, probably far better than the current method used on there (streched iPod technology).

stridemat
Feb 9, 2010, 06:07 AM
Yes, I could see that on an iPad it would make that much more sense, instead of using something designed for a smaller screen. It says in the article that the company have been in discussion with yet 'unnamed' manufactures (Apple maybe) .

Skengman
Feb 9, 2010, 06:26 AM
Could be useful in trackpads for scrolling (amongst other things) on laptops and also things like volume buttons.

It's quite an interesting posibility really, but unfortunately, unless companies spend time working on it, it will probably end up being poorly implemented in a few Samsung phones and then disappear.

(Now I've said that, it will be in everything by the end of the year!)

stridemat
Feb 9, 2010, 06:43 AM
Its the same with any tech, if companies do not want/need it then it just dies.e

I for one hope this get developed a little further and we get to see some working prototypes. It's like taking 'multi-touch' to the next level.