PDA

View Full Version : So who is going to upgrade to Aperture 3?

anubis
Feb 9, 2010, 08:59 AM
As much as I like discussion thread on the main page story of Aperture 3 (sarcasm), it would be nice to have a thread that's mainly just the "Digital Photography Forum" regulars like myself.

So, are you going to upgrade to Aperture 3? Is anyone jumping ship from LR2? Just going to wait until LR3?

For me, while it's nice that Apple has brought Aperture into the 21st century with localized nondestructive edits ("Brushes" as Apple calls it), Lightroom has had this feature since the beginning. I started out using Aperture 2, but as a semi-pro photographer, the lack of nondestructive local edits was killing me, and I reluctantly made the switch to LR2. Although the Lightroom interface is much clunkier than Aperture, I needed those features more than I needed ease of use.

Unfortunately for Apple, I have built a massive Lightroom library and can't make another switch back to Aperture, so I'm just going to wait until LR3 comes out. On the other hand, if I had a huge Aperture library, I'd be chomping at the bit to get that update ASAP!

JDDavis
Feb 9, 2010, 09:12 AM
I've been with Aperture the whole time so I'll stick with it for the upgrade. The brushes are a welcome add as well as the editing presets. Faces and Places are neat but I may not use them much. The two biggest things that I am happy about is the 64 bit which will hopefully improve the speed and now it handles video. The video will be nice for the occasional video I take with the D90. I'm looking forward to the upgrade.

I will say though, Apple is giving me less reasons to upgrade iLife. I've stopped using iPhoto and all I really use now is iMovie and iWeb. Aperture 3 may give me enough to give up on iMovie...

Grimace
Feb 9, 2010, 09:15 AM
The clunkiness of LR has been the biggest source of kryptonite for me. Aperture is a bit more of a resource hog, but the workflow/UI are so much better. I'm definitely upgrading as soon as Apple starts sending out the download links.

Given that it is ONLY for Intel computers, I expect to see major support for multicore/multithreading/multiwhatever. So far, Snow Leopard hasn't done too much for me...

NeuralControl
Feb 9, 2010, 09:16 AM
I've never had Aperture before, but I am sure that I will purchase Aperture 3 in the next few months. I really like some of the new features in this revision.

chrono1081
Feb 9, 2010, 09:23 AM
I started out with Lightroom, and when I switched to Mac I gave Aperture a try and really liked it (it runs much faster then LR) and I love the UI, but stuck with Lightroom because of the exposure brushes.

Now that Aperture has them I'm going to give it another shot. I may end up being a convert.

Artful Dodger
Feb 9, 2010, 09:36 AM
I will wait for some good strong feedback from others before taking the plunge for the upgrade as I have Aperture 2. I have used LR before and since I have CS4 (PS in there of course) I think I'm covered just fine for the things I do and need at the moment. My big thing will be moving my old iPhoto library (15GB) over once I'm ready to as that is my main concern at this point ;)

cube
Feb 9, 2010, 09:41 AM
I see this more as an iPhoto upgrade.

Does it have the cool web publishing of Lightroom?

It states that Kodak DCS/Pro n is supported. Does this mean 14n too?

robbieduncan
Feb 9, 2010, 09:50 AM
I'll be upgrading. I've been pretty happy with Aperture 2 and this looks better all round.

VirtualRain
Feb 9, 2010, 09:50 AM
I'll definitely be upgrading. I hope the performance has improved.

Can someone explain what you can do with the new brushes?

wheelhot
Feb 9, 2010, 09:54 AM
I for one will definitely be upgrading cuz now the fullscreen mode will be much more usable, especially with the shift key :D

Anyone tried the trial yet? I registered but not getting any email from Apple yet.

SayCheese
Feb 9, 2010, 09:56 AM
ME ME ME, I will be upgrading.

I have just had a look at the new features in Aperture 3 and two of them really stand out for me.

The first is the merging of two libraries and the ability to switch without restarting Aperture. I reguarly take images out and about and edit them. When I get home I then upload to my main library on an external HDD. At the moment to do this I have to export from my local library as a project then import to the external. This should solve the issue for me.

The second is some of the brushes features. Had a look at the Chase Jarvis video on the Aperture page and it looks like they could be useful.

Oh and the other one that could be good is Geotagging. My camera is not GPS enabled (1D Mk II), however it looks like I can take a single image with my iPhone, then import the GPS data from there.

Lets hope that Apple have also improved the sharpen tool and it'll be near enough perfect.

SayCheese
Feb 9, 2010, 09:58 AM

Have a look at Chase Jarvis utilising the brushes here (http://www.apple.com/aperture/action/jarvis/)

spice weasel
Feb 9, 2010, 10:05 AM
I'll be buying Aperture 3. I never upgraded to Aperture 2 from 1.5, and then realized that 1.5 doesn't work on Snow Leopard. I was expecting an update, so I never bothered buying 2.0.

I'll have to wait a bit for the university computer store to stock it, though. According to the Apple Store page, the upgrade price is not available to the academic 1.5 version, and I'm not going to pay $200 for it; the computer store usually sells Aperture (and Final Cut Express, which I'm also hoping will be updated soon) for $75.

Grimace
Feb 9, 2010, 10:06 AM

It's localized non-destructive editing. Before, you could change brightness (etc.) overall to the entire image, but to do a specific area, you had to use dodge-and-burn which would give you a TIFF image.

Web page export options are the only thing I like better about LR. Let's hope Ap3 ponies up for some new options that aren't tied to MobileMe.

spice weasel
Feb 9, 2010, 10:08 AM
Oh and the other one that could be good is Geotagging. My camera is not GPS enabled (1D Mk II), however it looks like I can take a single image with my iPhone, then import the GPS data from there.

Check out the iPhone app called "Tracks." It's a geo-logger. Start up Tracks and wait for it to get a GPS lock, then start taking photos with your 1D Mk II. You can then email the gps log to yourself and use that to geotag your photos. I use it in conjunction with HoudahGeo to match up the gps log and the time stamps and tag the EXIF data, but it seems like you might be able to run the track log through Aperture 3.

pit29
Feb 9, 2010, 10:17 AM
Why is the trial 800MB+?? :eek:

robbieduncan
Feb 9, 2010, 10:20 AM
Why is the trial 800MB+?? :eek:

Probably includes a sample project...

spice weasel
Feb 9, 2010, 10:33 AM
Probably includes a sample project...

Actually, according to the download box, it doesn't. You can only get sample images by purchasing the retail box version. Also, the trial download is only showing up as 558 megs for me.

Westside guy
Feb 9, 2010, 10:33 AM
I will probably wait a short while, but in all likelihood I'll be upgrading to Aperture 3. Everyone's different; but Lightroom never did it for me - it always felt like it got "in the way" and forced me to follow its regimen. Aperture just gets out of the way and lets me do my work (most of the time).

I'm happy the "non pro" features like Faces got added - that'll be useful with cataloging a lot of old family shots. :D Since Aperture and Lightroom have had red-eye reduction since day one, it's always been obvious they weren't intended to be strictly pro apps - not that I've needed red-eye reduction, but there's nothing wrong with making apps user friendly!

I'm sure the localized adjustments will be useful, but it's not something I need all that often. It just means my trips to Photoshop may dwindle from infrequent to almost never. :p

gfiz
Feb 9, 2010, 10:43 AM
can someone explain to me like I'm a 10 year old exactly why I might want Aperture as a non-professional consumer? What benefit would I get out of it that I don't already have? I for some reason feel compelled to buy this software but can come up with zero justification for it...just an itchy "buy now" finger...:eek:

Westside guy
Feb 9, 2010, 10:51 AM
can someone explain to me like I'm a 10 year old exactly why I might want Aperture as a non-professional consumer? What benefit would I get out of it that I don't already have? I for some reason feel compelled to buy this software but can come up with zero justification for it...just an itchy "buy now" finger...:eek:

I'd say "download the trial and see for yourself". And while I'm not a Lightroom fan, I'd suggest the same for that program as well.

I am strictly a hobbyist, not a pro - but I find the Aperture workflow and editing tools to be extremely useful. Having the editing, cataloging, and other management tools all rolled into one app makes it easier to think more about my actual photography.

It takes some getting used to, though. A lot of people continue to fight with the idea that the app becomes their organization/management tool - they still want to put things in their own folders, name the images the way they want, etc. So be aware that, if you want to try it (or Lightroom), you should give it more than a 2-minute chance. Also note if you're very used to Photoshop already then Lightroom will probably feel more comfortable at first, since its tools are very much like Photoshop's. I encourage you to give Aperture a good chance, though. You may still end up preferring Lightroom; but some of us find Aperture's "get out of the way and let the photographer do his/her thing" style to be just the ticket.

robbieduncan
Feb 9, 2010, 10:52 AM

Do you use iPhoto? Wish that it could do stuff that it can't? The consider Aperture. :p

Westside guy
Feb 9, 2010, 11:11 AM
Looking through the new features... nice to finally have "official" management of multiple libraries. I use Aperture both for work and for my own stuff, so it'll be one less thing I have to think about in terms of organization.

All in all, it appears to be a worthy update.

Ish
Feb 9, 2010, 11:15 AM
I'd been looking at Aperture then read the threads on here and decided to wait as it seemed an upgrade was imminent. Think I'll have a look at the free trial and maybe make a request for my birthday.

If I download the free trial, I'm assuming it won't automatically reorganise my existing folders, leaving me to resort them if there's a gap between trying and buying it?

SayCheese
Feb 9, 2010, 11:22 AM
Check out the iPhone app called "Tracks." It's a geo-logger. Start up Tracks and wait for it to get a GPS lock, then start taking photos with your 1D Mk II. You can then email the gps log to yourself and use that to geotag your photos. I use it in conjunction with HoudahGeo to match up the gps log and the time stamps and tag the EXIF data, but it seems like you might be able to run the track log through Aperture 3.

You don't happen to have a link to that app do you? I did a search for tracks and couldn't find it.

steve-p
Feb 9, 2010, 11:30 AM
I'm definitely upgrading - ordered an upgrade copy just as soon as the UK store came back up. It should ship within 24 hours.

Apart from all the other great improvements, I was specifically hoping for proper geotagging support and this should fit the bill. Now all I need is for Nikon to do a proper job with the D90 replacement and build in GPS, rather than expect users to buy the clunky, expensive and hard to get hold of GPS-1 add-on. At the moment I'm using a GisTEQ PhotoTrackr which was a fraction of the price, clipped to the camera bag. It works well, but means an extra workflow step to get the locations into the image metadata - which wouldn't be necessary if the camera did it.

chrismacguy
Feb 9, 2010, 11:30 AM
I think this is the version that makes me finally jump up from iPhoto, Ive been using the Trial of V1 and V2 on and off for a lil while, and the new features of 3 have shoved me across :D

compuwar
Feb 9, 2010, 11:41 AM
I'm seriously considering switching to LR. While I prefer Aperture's workflow, it's just a resource hog and it seems that things like X-rite's Passport support LR out of the box- so unless they were simply waiting for Aperture3 to be released to announce support, I'm probably going to jump ship when LR3 hits the streets.

telecomm
Feb 9, 2010, 11:54 AM
I've been waiting for a while to move to either Lightroom or Aperture, and I've been trying the beta of Lightroom 3 and the demo of Aperture 2 for a couple of weeks now.

While Aperture 3 addresses what I thought was the biggest shortcoming of Aperture (no adjustment brushes), I've sort of gotten used to the Lightroom way of doing things. So, I'll give the demo for 3 a try, but I think I might be going with Lightroom.

Also, the mystery and secrecy surrounding Apple's projects doesn't bother me when it comes to hardware, but it's a real annoyance when it comes to software. The user community for Lightroom is pretty big, and even some Aperture fans were wondering whether Apple might just drop Aperture altogether...

yaroldb
Feb 9, 2010, 11:55 AM
I've always liked the work flow a bit better on Aperture, but having all my pictures load at once drove me up the wall. I switched to LR because it could handle catalogs so well. I would create a new catalog for each different shoot and then only work with those. I could never do that in Aperture. Now, it seems like you can switch libraries. I'm very excited to download and play with this tonight. If it can handle this, I'll be very happy and can switch back to Aperture. I've used the beta Lightroom 3 and like the new features. Noise correction on that is incredible. I hope Aperture 3 can do the same.

Westside guy
Feb 9, 2010, 12:07 PM
Noise correction on that is incredible.

Please don't take this as a slam (or an attempt to derail the thread) - but is noise really a big issue? I've generally thought of noise correction as being much more of "a solution in search of a problem" than anything else. It's rarely an issue with decent equipment and proper technique; plus it seems to fall mainly in the realm of pixel-peeping.

CrackedButter
Feb 9, 2010, 12:24 PM
I just hope I can turn off Faces and Places, I don't need it working its way through my library, I'm on a 2Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 with the RAM ceiling of 3GB. I don't need it wasting processor cycles finding faces I won't need.

EDIT: There is an option to turn it off, I just noticed on the features page. :-) Which is nice.

cosmokanga2
Feb 9, 2010, 12:39 PM
This is the update I've been waiting for. A couple notworthy, in my case, update:

Full IPTC metadata and the ability to import Metadata sidecars
You can have multiple Libraies, and switch between them
You can do all of your work, fullscreen
Image adjustments on import
Adjustment live preview

The list goes on! It's just amazing!

Full list: 200+ (http://www.apple.com/ca/aperture/features/)

romanaz
Feb 9, 2010, 12:41 PM
I'm definitely upgrading, Faces in Aperture will make my weightlifting photography that much easier to organize, as every shot in every sequence has a clear shot of the face, this is going to speed my turn around time up so much now.

also the 64bit support is awesome.. now only if Final Cut had that..

spice weasel
Feb 9, 2010, 12:41 PM
You don't happen to have a link to that app do you? I did a search for tracks and couldn't find it.

My bad - it's not Tracks, it's called Trails. Here's the link:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trails-gps-tracker/id289190494?mt=8

steve-p
Feb 9, 2010, 12:52 PM
My bad - it's not Tracks, it's called Trails. Here's the link:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trails-gps-tracker/id289190494?mt=8

I just found that too, I'm going to give the free version a try. Also there's this one which has a free version as well:

http://gpslogapp.com/

The problem with most of the other apps is that they want to use a data connection all the time while running, which is no use for my travelling.

The problem with all of them of course is that they have to be running all the time and you can't let the iPhone sleep, or they stop logging. If only Apple would allow multitasking... maybe I'll have to stick with the GiSTEQ PhotoTrackr Lite. I believe it can export GPX which Aperture should be able to import directly and match up the photo times. The GiSTEQ software is horrible so this would be a big step forward anyway :)

pna
Feb 9, 2010, 01:33 PM
Hm. Just registered for the trial and received a body-less email from apple with subject: Getting started with Aperture 3. Same deal when sent to another account and using safari vs. firefox. Odd.

steve-p
Feb 9, 2010, 01:35 PM
Hm. Just registered for the trial and received a body-less email from apple with subject: Getting started with Aperture 3. Same deal when sent to another account and using safari vs. firefox. Odd.

Are you using web email or the Mail application? Others have said it's not blank in Mail, just in browsers.

pna
Feb 9, 2010, 01:44 PM
Are you using web email or the Mail application? Others have said it's not blank in Mail, just in browsers.

Wow. Sure enough. I just had to set up Mail with my gmail account to get the link, which seems odd, but there it is. Thanks for the tip.

Edge100
Feb 9, 2010, 01:48 PM

Me too. Seems they're having an issue with the trial notification on webmail.

stujmac26
Feb 9, 2010, 05:23 PM
Me too. Seems they're having an issue with the trial notification on webmail.

yep - didn't work for me on Gmail or Outlook in the office. :apple: Mail on my iMac displayed it as if I was a fool for not seeing it in the first place.

Weird! :eek:

Phrasikleia
Feb 9, 2010, 05:35 PM
I'm seriously considering switching to LR. While I prefer Aperture's workflow, it's just a resource hog and it seems that things like X-rite's Passport support LR out of the box- so unless they were simply waiting for Aperture3 to be released to announce support, I'm probably going to jump ship when LR3 hits the streets.

I'm in the same boat, although I'm unfamiliar with X-rite's Passport and should probably have a look at that thread you started about it.

My concern is that Aperture is too sluggish and buggy, and it produces output that is a bit grungy (it's especially bad at interpolation). At least that was my experience with version 2. I'll be sorry to dump my organization and editing of some 54,000 photos that I now have in Aperture, but I'm seriously considering a switch to LR. If I keep getting those red "unsupported format" screens in this new version of Aperture, I'll scream...and run as fast as I can to Lightroom.

jbg232
Feb 9, 2010, 06:14 PM
64 bit = Happy Aperture User ????

While I love the look and feel of Aperture 2 it is annoyingly slow unless in preview mode. Given that it is now 64-bit I am excited, but we will have to see if it is actually faster. Either way I'll upgrade though for the combination of features that are upgraded make this a very decent upgrade (especially compared to the other "upgrades" that apple puts out there).

Westside guy
Feb 9, 2010, 10:14 PM
64 bit = Happy Aperture User ????

While I love the look and feel of Aperture 2 it is annoyingly slow unless in preview mode. Given that it is now 64-bit I am excited, but we will have to see if it is actually faster.

If your sig reflects the computer you're using Aperture on, I'll be surprised if going 64-bit makes a significant difference - the speed issues are probably due to the 9400M graphics (which are a huge step up over the Intel integrated graphics, but still...).

I've used Aperture 2 on a MacBook Pro and on a MacBook Air, both driving the same external display. Things that were speedy on the MBP are a trifle sluggish on the Air. It's still very usable, but the difference is noticable. Note that the MBP and the Air both had the same amount of RAM, and the processor speeds weren't that different.

Bryan Bowler
Feb 9, 2010, 11:21 PM
Without a doubt, I will be upgrading to Aperture 3. There are a ton of great new features...

Bryan

thomahawk
Feb 9, 2010, 11:37 PM
i used aperture 2, never liked it, took way too much resources. fell in love with lightroom 2 been using it ever since. Now after comparing the lightroom beta 3 and current aperture 3. I might make the jump to aperture 3 now. the software is much well built, no lag, and much less resource hogging. LR3 doesnt seem to offer much. however i'll miss certain filters and presets i made from that program. but its time for aperture 3 now. :)

firstapple
Feb 10, 2010, 01:55 AM
Already made the upgrade!

benlangdon
Feb 10, 2010, 02:04 AM
just don't have the money right now :(

i think im going to try and get the trial, then see from there. ugh, money sucks.

Galarina
Feb 10, 2010, 02:38 AM
I just found that too, I'm going to give the free version a try. Also there's this one which has a free version as well:

http://gpslogapp.com/

The problem with most of the other apps is that they want to use a data connection all the time while running, which is no use for my travelling.

The problem with all of them of course is that they have to be running all the time and you can't let the iPhone sleep, or they stop logging. If only Apple would allow multitasking... maybe I'll have to stick with the GiSTEQ PhotoTrackr Lite. I believe it can export GPX which Aperture should be able to import directly and match up the photo times. The GiSTEQ software is horrible so this would be a big step forward anyway :)

My GeoLogTag (http://itunes.com/apps/galarina/geologtag) iPhone app is an all-in-one geotagging solution for Mac users. Besides logging your location it also geotags your photos over WiFi.
It doesn't require a data connection so it's great for travelling.
You can try out the almost fully functional free version (http://itunes.com/apps/galarina/geologtagfree) (the logged locations are automatically deleted after 2 hours instead of 90 days).

I already did some testing with the Aperture 3 Trial and photos geotagged by GeoLogTag show up in Places automatically.

compuwar
Feb 10, 2010, 09:30 AM
I'm in the same boat, although I'm unfamiliar with X-rite's Passport and should probably have a look at that thread you started about it.

My concern is that Aperture is too sluggish and buggy, and it produces output that is a bit grungy (it's especially bad at interpolation). At least that was my experience with version 2. I'll be sorry to dump my organization and editing of some 54,000 photos that I now have in Aperture, but I'm seriously considering a switch to LR. If I keep getting those red "unsupported format" screens in this new version of Aperture, I'll scream...and run as fast as I can to Lightroom.

You should check the webinar in that thread out.

I only really use Aperture for organization/cataloging, but I'm thinking it's time to download the LR3 beta and give it a run. I suppose I'll try the Aperture 3 beta too- but at this point Apple's underwhelmed me so far.

CrackedButter
Feb 10, 2010, 02:45 PM
It strikes me that this version of Aperture goes that bit further (for me in any case) so that I don't have to dip into photoshop. I just basing this solely off the new preview function. As a journalist photographer, there isn't a lot in Photoshop I care for. Now I seem to be caring even less for it.

The slideshow functions are amazing, I don't need to dip into iMovie now either! Woo!

jbg232
Feb 10, 2010, 02:50 PM
If your sig reflects the computer you're using Aperture on, I'll be surprised if going 64-bit makes a significant difference - the speed issues are probably due to the 9400M graphics (which are a huge step up over the Intel integrated graphics, but still...).

I've used Aperture 2 on a MacBook Pro and on a MacBook Air, both driving the same external display. Things that were speedy on the MBP are a trifle sluggish on the Air. It's still very usable, but the difference is noticable. Note that the MBP and the Air both had the same amount of RAM, and the processor speeds weren't that different.

I am using the 9400M but from using aperture on a friend's current nehalem mac pro with an nvidia gt-120 and 4gb of memory there still was quite a bit of lag when not in preview mode. Aperture seems to put about 20 picutres in cache but once going beyond that and scrollling raw photos it is noticeably slow. I feel that scrolling though raw photos should not take as long as it does in aperture with a top of the line system. Just my 2 cents.... but I still love the program in general.

Ecoh
Feb 10, 2010, 05:30 PM
I am using the A3 trial on a new i7 iMac with 8 gb RAM and it runs smooth and quick. Imported my A2 library of over 35,000 images and I can't believe how responsive and zippy A3 is behaving. Brushes are very responsive, even when zoomed in 100 %. I just ordered the upgrade.

pprior
Feb 10, 2010, 05:35 PM
I'm sad to say I'm sticking with LR.

I actually bought my very first mac (a 2007 mac pro) specifically and ONLY to run aperture. It was the killer app that brought my to apple after 20+ years of PC use.

However I found it increasingly unstable and with 30,000+ raw files in my library I had too many problems so I switched to LR about 10 months or so ago.

I don't see anything in aperture 3 that draws me back. The focus on stupid stuff like faces shows me that aperture is not aimed at the pro market any more. I think LR has a better shot long term for those of us serious about photography.

Again, I say that with sadness.

Phrasikleia
Feb 10, 2010, 05:40 PM
I'm sad to say I'm sticking with LR.

I actually bought my very first mac (a 2007 mac pro) specifically and ONLY to run aperture. It was the killer app that brought my to apple after 20+ years of PC use.

However I found it increasingly unstable and with 30,000+ raw files in my library I had too many problems so I switched to LR about 10 months or so ago.

I don't see anything in aperture 3 that draws me back. The focus on stupid stuff like faces shows me that aperture is not aimed at the pro market any more. I think LR has a better shot long term for those of us serious about photography.

Again, I say that with sadness.

How has LR been performing for you? Is it stable? Any complaints?

maflynn
Feb 10, 2010, 05:48 PM
I'm weighing the prospects of upgrading. I switched over to LR for two basic reasons.

First as apple's perceived inattention to aperture due to the lack of updates. This is still a concern, their track record is do a major upgrade and then infrequent updates. RAW support is similar.

Second issue was the localized non destructive editing.

One thing I missed when I switched over to LR was Aperture's tight integration with apple's other stuff. I could easily keep pictures on my iPhone, import them into iWeb even into RapidWeaver which isn't even an apple product.

I do like how LR displays the grid of images in the library module. I can see the image name, date, index # and the rating. With aperture I need to switch over to the metadata tab and then I only see the info on one image.

Overall however I like aperture's clean interface much better and how it organizes the images over LRs.

I'm about 85 - 90% sure I'll switch back and given the low price of the upgrade, it makes the decision easier. I mistakenly purchased an OEM copy of LR2 while legal, I cannot upgrade that, so I'll be on the hook for the full price - another reason why switching makes more sense.

SayCheese
Feb 10, 2010, 06:05 PM
I went into the Apple Store, Regent Street, London today as I was up there and passing the door. Asked the guy if I could buy a copy of the new Aperture 3 and he said no. He then explained that they were supposed to have had a delivery this morning but that it hadn't arrived. Therefore there were no Aperture copies in the store to buy.

I was really hoping to get a copy today so that I could upgrade soonest. :(

steve-p
Feb 10, 2010, 07:31 PM
I went into the Apple Store, Regent Street, London today as I was up there and passing the door. Asked the guy if I could buy a copy of the new Aperture 3 and he said no. He then explained that they were supposed to have had a delivery this morning but that it hadn't arrived. Therefore there were no Aperture copies in the store to buy.

Ordered mine online Tuesday as soon as the UK Apple store came back up, and it shipped the same day, should be here tomorrow with a bit of luck. Looks like maybe online was quickest for a change :)

cosmokanga2
Feb 10, 2010, 08:38 PM
Ordered mine online Tuesday as soon as the UK Apple store came back up, and it shipped the same day, should be here tomorrow with a bit of luck. Looks like maybe online was quickest for a change :)

If you download the trial and then activate it, you can purchase a key immediately through Aperture. You don't get a box or anything, but you don't really need it anyway. The manual is online to.

jbg232
Feb 10, 2010, 08:55 PM
If you download the trial and then activate it, you can purchase a key immediately through Aperture. You don't get a box or anything, but you don't really need it anyway. The manual is online to.

I called all the Manhattan stores and none of them have them in yet. They told me they were expecting them "by the end of the week." When I called the apple store the person on the line told me that they started shipping Monday and that people who buy online were getting them shipped now.

If you want to upgrade you cannot upgrade through the free download because that requires a full version product key to activate.

Jaro65
Feb 11, 2010, 12:01 AM
I have both Aperture and Lightroom and I'm not completely certain which way I'll go, but I'm leaning more towards Lightroom. I really like the way it automatically uses multiple monitors. Let's see though what Lightroom 3 is going to do as far as video goes.

neutrino23
Feb 11, 2010, 02:36 AM
This looks like a very solid upgrade. The new 13x10 book looks very cool. Aperture 2 has worked well for me so I'm happy about upgrading. I've already put my order in.

To the person who complained about scrolling through RAW files in Aperture, it seems that at some point you are limited by the speed of your hard drive. My 40D only shoots 10MP RAW resulting in about 13 - 17MB files. If your camera has more resolution then the files could easily be much larger. Hard drives only feed data at about 20 - 30MB/s so it is hard to see how the software could be expected to run through RAW files much more than about 1 per second. That's why there is preview, to run through lots of images quickly.

CrackedButter
Feb 11, 2010, 02:46 AM

Ditto for going in, but i was spun a different line as to why there were no copies in store.

peskaa
Feb 11, 2010, 03:55 AM
I'll upgrade my copy of A2 in the next few weeks to A3, mainly for the speed increase I'll get due to 64bit and other tweaks. I've been happy with Aperture, and to be honest I rarely ever feel the need to use dodge/burn/etc so the new features in that regard may go a bit unused.

SayCheese
Feb 11, 2010, 04:01 AM
Ditto for going in, but i was spun a different line as to why there were no copies in store.

Hmm, Interesting. Why were you told no copies in store?

Also on a side note. When I get the software to upgrade, what is the best way to go about it?
I have an original full version of Aperture 1.5 (the first version I purchased). I then brought the upgrade to A2 pack.

Should I uninstall everything, then reinstall the A1.5 (full version) before installing the A3, or just install the A3 upgrade on top of the A2 that's already there?
Will it make any difference to the amount of space used on the disk or the speed at which it runs?

Also I have been thinking for a while about buying an extra 1Gb of RAM. I currently have 2GB on my 2.33Ghz Core2Duo MBP (late 2007). Do you think i'll see a difference in Aperture if I do upgrade?

smiddlehurst
Feb 11, 2010, 05:38 AM
Aperture 3 has come along at just about the perfect time for me as I'm about to switch from a D40 to D90, start shooting RAW for the first time and also have a new MBP on the way. As I've got to do a mass migration of data off the old MBP anyway, it makes a lot of sense to shift up to Aperture from iPhoto, especially as the education pricing brings it in under 60.

Main things I'm excited about, other than just the giddy thrill of having new shiny software to play with obviously *cough*, are the ability to easily manage libraries so I can offshore a backup to an external drive, brushes and just the increased flexibility in terms of image manipulation. I've given Aperture 2 a quick whirl but as my old laptop only has a 160Gb drive I can't really run both Aperture and iPhoto properly at the moment (although once everything's transfered over to the new machine the old MBP is getting a clean install of Snow Leopard and Aperture rather than iLife).

CrackedButter
Feb 11, 2010, 06:24 AM
Hmm, Interesting. Why were you told no copies in store?

Also on a side note. When I get the software to upgrade, what is the best way to go about it?
I have an original full version of Aperture 1.5 (the first version I purchased). I then brought the upgrade to A2 pack.

Should I uninstall everything, then reinstall the A1.5 (full version) before installing the A3, or just install the A3 upgrade on top of the A2 that's already there?
Will it make any difference to the amount of space used on the disk or the speed at which it runs?

Also I have been thinking for a while about buying an extra 1Gb of RAM. I currently have 2GB on my 2.33Ghz Core2Duo MBP (late 2007). Do you think i'll see a difference in Aperture if I do upgrade?

I would get the full 4GB of RAM personally then it will fly faster.

The chap I spoke to in the store just said they haven't had any deliveries and won't do for a few more days yet. Something about online order taking a few days and they won't necessarily get them earlier this time.

maflynn
Feb 11, 2010, 07:16 AM
I have both Aperture and Lightroom and I'm not completely certain which way I'll go, but I'm leaning more towards Lightroom. I really like the way it automatically uses multiple monitors. Let's see though what Lightroom 3 is going to do as far as video goes.
Aperture very easily uses multiple monitors as well. In fact I had less trouble setting up multiple monitors in A3 then LR

Grimace
Feb 11, 2010, 07:27 AM
Aperture very easily uses multiple monitors as well. In fact I had less trouble setting up multiple monitors in A3 then LR

Agreed. Even Aperture v.1 had multi-monitor support in a variety of helpful configurations when LR had only single monitor support (aside from manual spanning that you can do with any program).

NoNameBrand
Feb 11, 2010, 01:40 PM
I expect my copy tomorrow or Monday. :)

FWIW (not much) I've got a similar number of RAWs and haven't had the same problems.

I don't see anything in aperture 3 that draws me back. The focus on stupid stuff like faces shows me that aperture is not aimed at the pro market any more.

I think most of the new features are aimed at Pros. I think Apple sees a great market in iPhoto users who are or might be looking for more, which is why the PR seems to be touting Faces so much. I welcome the addition of Faces and Places for my personal photographs which I keep in Aperture. That Aperture's Faces can be limited in scope to specific projects means that it will see a lot of use with event photographers.

OreoCookie
Feb 13, 2010, 06:08 AM
I only really use Aperture for organization/cataloging, but I'm thinking it's time to download the LR3 beta and give it a run.
I was underwhelmed by Lightroom's supposed performance advantage. It lagged in different places, e. g. when applying certain brushes or zooming in.

pprior
Feb 13, 2010, 09:09 AM
How has LR been performing for you? Is it stable? Any complaints?

I never really had performance complaints about aperture, it was more stability issues.

I don't want to cloud this thread with LR comments, but basically it has design and interface issues, IMO but for my work flow it was still preferable to Aperture.

pilotkid
Feb 13, 2010, 10:54 AM
I didn't want to start a new thread on this so I'll ask on this ongoing one. I have Aperture 2 is there any advantage to buying the full Aperture 3 or is the upgrade fine?

compuwar
Feb 13, 2010, 11:23 AM
I was underwhelmed by Lightroom's supposed performance advantage. It lagged in different places, e. g. when applying certain brushes or zooming in.

I do most of my adjustments in a raw converter and the rest in Photoshop- LR or Aperture for me is an image management application. Once I get back to evaluating them, I'll probably benchmark the parts that interest me. So far, I have to say that LR3 is significantly faster at importing than A2 ever was.

Paul

Stevo B
Feb 13, 2010, 01:44 PM
I've downloaded the trial and played with Aperture 3 for a few days now. I'm having tons of graphics issues on my MBP where it shows splotchy blocks over any adjusted area of a photo. This is an issue I've never had with Aperture 2 (which I own but don't use as primary). Further research shows that this has been a problem for many people in Aperture 2 since it came out, and has never been resolved. To me, I like the new features Aperture promises, but it is a major system hog and is being extremely glitchy for me. I will not be switching to Aperture from Lightroom. I will be upgrading to LR3 when it is released. The LR3 beta has me impressed. I don't know what people are talking about LR being clunky. To me, its nothing but smooth sailing. I love the interface.

steve-p
Feb 14, 2010, 05:43 AM
I didn't want to start a new thread on this so I'll ask on this ongoing one. I have Aperture 2 is there any advantage to buying the full Aperture 3 or is the upgrade fine?
The upgrade version is exactly the same as the full price version, except it either requires Aperture 2 to be installed, or asks you for an Aperture 2 serial number as well as the Aperture 3 one if it isn't installed. I upgraded mine with Aperture 2 installed and it just replaced it and then converted the existing library.

steve-p
Feb 14, 2010, 06:13 AM
One thing I noticed about moving from 2 to 3 which wasn't great is if you have any devices set up in iTunes which sync photos from Aperture projects or folders, they get unselected, and you have to set them up again. I had about 30 projects/folders ticked out of 100+ total to sync to Apple TV. After the upgrade, iTunes settings for Apple TV had changed to not sync any photos, and I had to go and select all the ones I wanted to sync again. Of course it then deleted them on Apple TV on the next sync and resent them, even though they hadn't actually changed. That was 15GB of network traffic that wasn't strictly necessary.

Other than that, so far the upgrade has been overall very positive. On the downside, it's crashed on me twice in about 20 hours use, and I'm not convinced it's any faster than 2 was - it seems about the same to me (2.93 UMBP with 4GB RAM).

There are a lot of really good things though. The new full screen functionality is great. The Places stuff is awesome if you have geotagged photos. I have been geotagging for two years even though up until now I had no way of making use of it - now it's all come to life. I imported some GPS tracks too and it's neat to be able to see those on the map as well as the pins marking where you took pictures. And the whole adjustment preset thing is superb - and you can even apply a preset when importing which is one less step afterwards. Now you can export as library, merge libraries and sync libraries I'm wondering about getting a Mac Pro as well. I haven't even got on to a lot of the new things like brushes etc yet. Overall, well worth the upgrade cost for me.

macrumormonger
Feb 14, 2010, 05:52 PM
I just upgraded a couple of hours to A3. The installation was a breeze and it took about 7 minutes to import and sort 4,000+ pics. That was the good part, using A3 is slow. Not "snappy" on my Imac 24", 2GB, and 2.4ghz Intel 2 core duo. Maybe I need for it to settle.

stagi
Feb 14, 2010, 06:53 PM
everyone who has experienced "slow" issues with aperture 3 are you using Snow Leopard? or another OS? Just curious how much the 64 bit makes a difference?

Clix Pix
Feb 14, 2010, 07:05 PM
I have not upgraded to Aperture 3 yet, but definitely am planning to do....once the dust settles a little. I've read about various problems and issues and so decided that I can continue with Aperture 2 for another little while, maybe even until the first software update patch for Aperture 3. I've used Aperture since it was first debuted and have no intention of switching out now. As for "Faces and Places," I will immediately disable those the minute I can in the installation process, as I am not interested in those features at all. For my style of post-processing Aperture has been just great and I'm looking forward to trying out the new features!

macrumormonger
Feb 14, 2010, 08:17 PM
it crashed.:mad: I have a tl;dr crash report. An excerpt:

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 23

peskaa
Feb 15, 2010, 05:02 AM
Upgraded from 2 to 3 last night. Took about an hour to import my old library, and then I went to bed! I'll have to sit down and have a play this evening...

mrtrilby
Feb 15, 2010, 11:28 AM
Me. I started the upgrade at the weekend, and my AP3 CD turned up in the post today which makes it official. There are a few rough edges that I've spotted, but nothing that gets in the way of my work. Some of the new features are just too good to wait for.

jbg232
Feb 15, 2010, 11:40 AM
everyone who has experienced "slow" issues with aperture 3 are you using Snow Leopard? or another OS? Just curious how much the 64 bit makes a difference?

It was a little slow right after I started and it is a resource hog but I just had to restart my computer and reset the memory useage (I have 4GB so no slouch) and it works well now. Overall, very very much worth the upgrade (I mean curves, 64-bit, multiple libraries, and local editing functions are HUGE feature upgrades, not to mention all the little niceties like the new metadata screen and faces/places which while I initially thought were gimmicky are actually pretty cool.) The nice thing about faces is that I have all my old negatives scanned in (thousands of them!) and now that I have cataloged all the faces I can see a person age by their face over the last 25 years in the faces screen. That to me is simply amazing.

peskaa
Feb 15, 2010, 01:41 PM
It was a little slow right after I started and it is a resource hog but I just had to restart my computer and reset the memory useage (I have 4GB so no slouch) and it works well now.

Totally agree. Creating previews, and then running Face recognition slowed my system right down, but once it had finished processing it was snappy.

macrumormonger
Feb 15, 2010, 06:51 PM
Because that's what was slowing me down. Faces is slooooowww especially if you have bajillion pics. Once I turned the two things off, the only performance improvement I've noticed is start-up. Adjustments seem slower to load. I have a folder of nothing but HDR and Panorama pics that use to take A2 forever to load, I'm going to see if A3 can handle them better. If not, well you better love the new features they have.

Westside guy
Feb 15, 2010, 08:32 PM
I must say I'm enjoying using Faces for family pics.

It is a bit funny when the software identifies a "face" in one of my landscape photos though. :D