PDA

View Full Version : powerbook pismo doesn't boot after HD-replacement

uwet
Aug 26, 2004, 02:41 PM
My powerbook pismo doesn't boot after HD-replacement. Even after replacing the new HD agains the old one again, wich used to work fine but was too small, it doesn't boot anymore.
After pushing the power botton i can hear how the HD starts to spin. But that's the only thing happening.
Does anybody know how to leave this nightmare?

parrothead
Aug 26, 2004, 02:51 PM
Have you installed an OS on it yet? If not, boot up with a OS cd in the drive and hold down C to tell the computer to boot from the CD. Then you can install whatever OS (9.x, 10.x) on the hard drive.

LeeTom
Aug 26, 2004, 03:12 PM
Also, try resetting the PMU.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449

Lee Tom

seamuskrat
Aug 26, 2004, 03:21 PM
Lets start with the basics:

Are you sure you reassembled the Pismo correctly? I know the ribbon cable for the drive can come loose at the logic board as well. The fact it would not boot up could be a loose or misaligned cable to the drive or logic board. The fact that it happens with the new drive and the old one also suggests possible damage to the cable itself, They are very delicate.

The other suggestions of a PRAM reset and the PMU reset may help.

You can also see if the Mac recognizes and sees the drive. Boot from the OS X instal Disk (or OS 9) and open disk utility and see i the drive shows up.

In theory its an easy upgrade. Pop out drive A and replace with drive B and reboot. But the assembly of a powerbook can be tricky. If you were unplugged for a long time and without power, the internal battery (think small watch battery) on the board may have lost the boot drive setting. Again, the Bot CD should allow you to reset this.

My powerbook pismo doesn't boot after HD-replacement. Even after replacing the new HD agains the old one again, wich used to work fine but was too small, it doesn't boot anymore.
After pushing the power botton i can hear how the HD starts to spin. But that's the only thing happening.
Does anybody know how to leave this nightmare?

spaceballl
Aug 27, 2004, 12:31 AM
I'm not too familiar with the Pismo. However, if the drive was near any circuitry, if you weren't careful enough, you could have scratched a trace, causing either an open circuit or a short. It only takes one of those to mess up a computer.
-Kevin