Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

just66horns

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2009
Denver CO
Hi,
Question before I start down the wrong road.

I will be collecting simple data, about 5 data points in every record, and wish to graph and display ONE OF THEM (in an iPhone app).

What method should I store my data, and how to create the graph.
The data could be edited, taking out entire records.

I'm new, so I would tend to keep it simple.

One record will be created each entry...
Also, how do I get present time/date, for entry into one of the fields...?

Thanks in advance

kyzen

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Colorado
I feel the urge to be nice to a fellow Coloradoan, but how much programming experience do you have? You've stopped just short of asking how to create your entire app, and if you're that new to coding, I'd direct you to the stickies ;)

just66horns

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2009
Denver CO
excuse me

I feel the urge to be nice to a fellow Coloradoan, but how much programming experience do you have? You've stopped just short of asking how to create your entire app, and if you're that new to coding, I'd direct you to the stickies ;)
I am new. I am unemployed and trying to support my family.
I don't wish you to create my program, I was just looking for "use core data", or simple use NSfilemanager ...
I just don't know how to create the graph at this time. I was looking for pointers... I thought this was the place to ask.

kyzen

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Colorado
Somebody here might be able to help you out, there's some real geniuses around. Barring that, Apple's documentation online is pretty great.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Although there are quick and dirty solutions, in the long run you are going to be better off using Core Data. It might seem daunting at first but Apple even has a tutorial called "Your First Core Data Application" or something like that. Not sure what to tell you about the graphing side of things.

North Bronson

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
San José
The graphing might be handled with Core Graphics. You could take a look at the "Formulaic" Apple sample code. The code is supposed to help you learn how to use voice-overs in your application, but there is some code to draw a graph that might be kind of handy.

just66horns

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2009
Denver CO
experience

Can I ask how much, how and what you've educated yourself with so far (just in terms of overall iPhone development)?

I have 20+ years with VB and VBA, PLC programming, some SQL. I've been working on Objective C since this fall, taking online webinars and reading the better part of 4 books on the subject.
For me, "doing it" helps me learn. That is the phase I am in now.

As I apply it all to real world, rather that someone's rehearsed programming code, it starts to make sense.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I have 20+ years with VB and VBA, PLC programming, some SQL. I've been working on Objective C since this fall, taking online webinars and reading the better part of 4 books on the subject.
For me, "doing it" helps me learn. That is the phase I am in now.

As I apply it all to real world, rather that someone's rehearsed programming code, it starts to make sense.
Great. And good luck!

drf1229

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
Although there are quick and dirty solutions, in the long run you are going to be better off using Core Data. It might seem daunting at first but Apple even has a tutorial called "Your First Core Data Application" or something like that. Not sure what to tell you about the graphing side of things.

I think this is it: http://developer.apple.com/iphone/library/documentation/DataManagement/Conceptual/iPhoneCoreData01/Introduction/Introduction.html
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.