Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djarsalan2006

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
New York City
Hey guys
I was wondering is there a way to track people down using iPhone, by their phone numbers, I was thinking of an app or something
any clue ?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
What do you mean "track them down"?

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Theres many social apps on the appstore that can track down friends location as long as they have the app running and allow their location to be broadcasted to their friend list.
Examples are glympse, loopt and others....

djarsalan2006

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
New York City
What about an app that would just track them down using their phone numbers, what I mean is find their location!
And some kinda app that wouldn't need any permission and stuff

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
What about an app that would just track them down using their phone numbers, what I mean is find their location!

Im assuming your trying to develop this for private use? Because surely you realize Apple would NEVER allow that on the app store.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Do you need to ask that? That would be illegal.
Imagine anyone beeing able to track your position just by punching in your cellphone number.
What are you some kind of stalker or something?

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
Want to go to prison? There's an app for that.

LOL. this is illegal because imagine you having some creeper knowing where you were every second of the day....its an invasion of privacy and is pretty much the same as stalking. if you have a family member like a kid who you want to know where he is at times...you can get mobileme and it includes a find my iphone feature...but u'll have to get ur kid an iphone too. or you can get familytracker for like 5 bucks...its not that accurate though...

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma

You sound like a stalker trying to find a g/f or b/f so you can do something nasty. I only hope you don't go through with whatever criminal activity you are planning.

Tracking people down is known as stalking and is illegal in most states.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I don't think that the App store will cater to that sort of thing!

Technically they do when an app allows GPS coordinates, I have a camera app that does that) and any social networking app. Hell Shazam will also allow your location if you say it's ok.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Technically they do when an app allows GPS coordinates, I have a camera app that does that) and any social networking app. Hell Shazam will also allow your location if you say it's ok. [emphasis added]

The emphasis is on permission. The OP wants an application that will track another person's location without their knowledge or consent. You can't possibly be comparing my geotagging my own photos or intentionally posting my location on a social networking site to someone I don't even know being able to remotely and clandestinely track my real-time position.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
If I write you an app that just pops up and says, "Yes, she's off doing that guy you hate. Ditch her now and preserve your self respect. No one is worth being reduced to this," would you buy it?

kelpi

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
While I could see using the MobileMe find my iPhone for your kids; that's if you trust them with one, but an independent app to stalk someone is a big no no.

Nezchi

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2012
I need answers, help.

This is a really good question, My boyfriends ex keeps popping up on us, she got his new phone number thru a friend of his and now she is pretty much able to know his location at every step of the way.. Can someone track you down with via Iphone with just the phone number? I need help, this chick is really annoying..

3sh1a

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2012
What if the police want to find you.. It's just a what if. It's for research

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.