Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HSJR

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Hii alll,

I've upgraded my Quad MP ram to 6 GB recently, but win7 identify 4.9 GB Only. Moreover, my MP behaved strangely after the upgrade, when it is running under win7. The graphic card (Ati 4870) rating went down from 7 to 2. I installed the latest driver from ati, but all games were crashing once I started or performed any action. I had no other option expect to remove win 7 partition and reinstall it again to solve this issue; and make the lovely phone call for Micro to activate it? (believe or not; you have to phone them every time you made a format to your Pc to activate win 7). Regards what I've done with win 7; it could not identify 6GBz; it identifies 4.9GB only. Are there any solutions or recommendations to solve this issue??? and why pc performance has affected because of the ram upgrade??

Thanks in advance

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
First rule of troubleshooting. If you suspect a hardware change is causing problems, roll back the hardware change and make sure everything works. Can you remove the new RAM, i.e. go back to the stock configuration and make sure everything is fine both in OS X and Windows?

Where did you get the RAM? What kind is it?

You should not have to re-activate by phone for reinstall even with a RAM change, so something else is wrong.

B

HSJR

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Thanks for your respond; the Rams are used apple ram I bought them through ebay, the owner did not use them since he swap them immediately as he mentioned to me; I do not have any problem while I am running under mac osx. Mac OSX has identified the ram once I installed them. But win 7 has different story. And yes you have to go to the same activation process again for win 7 not sure why, but I will confirm with them tomorrow. The activation combination numbers win 7 agent gave to me were completely different numbers??

Definitely there is an issue with win 7 if you swap hardware in MP :(

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Have you run a thorough RAM test? http://guides.macrumors.com/Testing_RAM It may be that OS X just isn't as sensitive to whatever the problem is as Windows is, but it can still be not right.

For example, the person who sold it to you may not have adequately protected the RAM against static discharge when they removed it... And now you've got flaky RAM.

B

HSJR

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
I run memtest, the test shows failure in lock at the begining, but test passed at the end. Not sure what is the cause and I am not sure how to solve it. I won't make any judegment against the person who I bought ram from him because he was honest with me.

hollyw0od

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2010
I had no other option expect to remove win 7 partition and reinstall it again to solve this issue; and make the lovely phone call for Micro to activate it? (believe or not; you have to phone them every time you made a format to your Pc to activate win 7).

That's strange. I've reinstalled twice on the same machine and then switched to a Mac Mini without having to call them.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
If nothing else, I'd reseat the RAM and maybe even swap the locations of the new and old RAM and re-run memtest. You may just have trapped a dust bunny in your RAM slot.

B

HSJR

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
That's strange. I've reinstalled twice on the same machine and then switched to a Mac Mini without having to call them.

I do not know why this happened, but I had to phone them again to get win 7 activiated.

If nothing else, I'd reseat the RAM and maybe even swap the locations of the new and old RAM and re-run memtest. You may just have trapped a dust bunny in your RAM slot.

B

I guess I should do that, I will try combination of old and new RAM and I will check the results and try to figure out if there is any defective RAM. I will be offline for a while. I may post the results later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.