Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oi-Oi-Oi

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
New York
Hi all,

well I've had my Samsung 305T Plus for 18 months now, 10 of which it's been connected to my MacMini running at full res. via Apples Mini-Display Port to Dual DVI connector.

Sadly, yesterday the monitor started to flicker quite badly and is basically unusable now.

Like so many other people who are stuck with using one of Apples worst products (the display connector) I did have the occasional screen issue etc, but that was usually resolved by turning on the screensaver (hot corners) which was a blank screen, and then coming back out.

While connected to the MacMini, I did notice that the monitor emitted a strange low-volume high pitched noise. It never did this while connected to my PC for the 8 months prior to this.

I'll call the local Samsung service centre tomorrow and see what the go is in terms of repairing the unit. Since it's more than a year old I am pretty sure I'll be up for a hefty repair fee, if it's possible and economical. I've only ever used Samsung monitors and have never had one fail on me. This is the first one. Sadly it's a AUD$1,900 unit :mad:

Question is, has anyone else had a monitor fail (flicker or otherwise) after using Apples MiniDP-Dual-DVI connector?

Cheers,
G

Mr Bow

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2010
Peterborough, UK
Not 100% related to your issue but I had similar problems in the run up to Xmas with my early 2009 Mac mini and a 24" ACD - flickering, screen artifacts and a really unusual split-screen effect. Happened regularly.

I reset the PRAM (shut down, start up, hold Command-Option-P-R until the bong) and the issue has not come back for six weeks now. Have you tried this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.