Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
mtv1.jpg

MTV is embracing change. In nearly three decades on the air, almost everything about the cable network -- from its programming, to its focus, to its place in popular culture -- has changed with the times, except for its famous tagline, "Music television." Recently, the network quietly unveiled a new logo which has dropped the tagline entirely, indicating that MTV itself is leaving its original mission of an all-music channel in the dust.

The new logo is meant to put the focus on MTV's current slate of talent -- the stars of mostly reality shows like "Jersey Shore," "Teen Mom," and "The Buried Life." Since the logo (which seems to have a shorter "M" than the original) is also available in a see-through model, it can change when new stars come into the fold. Tina Exarhos, a spokesperson for MTV's marketing team, explained the change to "The New York Daily News": "If you watch the channel, you've seen that it's definitely going in a new direction. We really wanted to see the logo featured in a new way, and this was really meant to be able to house all the great things that are happening at MTV at any given time."

When MTV first revolutionized television in 1981, it was based on the idea of one network devoted entirely to music, a central hub where fans could watch music videos, see interviews with their favorite recording artists, and even get their news from a music fan's point of view. The channel was also a valuable promotional tool for the music industry itself, which no longer had to depend mainly on radio to get its product on an audience's radar. But over the years, MTV morphed into a channel that focused less on any one theme and more on targeting a specific teen and young-adult audience, ditching its music roots to deliver whatever the network perceived that audience wanted.

And, clearly, that audience is more into shows like "Jersey Shore" than old-school music video blocks like "120 Minutes."

"The MTV brand, to me, stands for such an irreverent groundbreaking brand, and unfortunately I feel a little underwhelmed when I look at this," Hamish McLennan, global chairman-CEO of advertising powerhouse Young & Rubicam, told Ad Age.

The new logo and its focus on the personalities that drive the channel is based on recent show successes like "Jersey Shore," which turned its stars into celebrities overnight. According to Ad Age, MTV is looking into developing a new tagline to match its new logo. Any suggestions?

LINK

Maybe this will satisfy all of those critics who say MTV is no longer about music. They're admitting that they aren't and changing their marketing and logo to reflect it.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
More than a decade after the complaints rolled in?

All I'm saying is at least they are making this change and ending the confusion that the current logo with the tag of "Music Television" communicates. As they say, "better late than never".

Disc Golfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
Does anyone born in the 80s or earlier even watch that channel anymore. Pile of sh...
I'm pretty sure that no one born ever watches that channel anymore. I'm not sure where they're getting the funding to even remove parts of their logo, much less have television stations.

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
I'm pretty sure that no one born ever watches that channel anymore. I'm not sure where they're getting the funding to even remove parts of their logo, much less have television stations.

Perhaps that's why they chopped the bottom half of the logo off...Lack of funding.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I think the internet has killed music videos for the most part. When they were first introduced it was a way to connect and learn more about your favorite music artists. Prior to this the only options were to see live shows or join the fan club. But, by watching a music video I could see behind the scenes or get a better feel for the artist's style, personality, showmanship, etc. etc. The internet provided music artist and labels a new and easier way to connect with their fans. Myspace took it to a new level in it's beginning by allowing unsigned artist a chance to grow a fan base on a more personal level. With all that the internet provides today it's easy to see that music videos on television can't keep up. You have to applaud MTV for recognizing this and changing their business strategy to remain successful. While those, like me, who were born in the 70's and grew up with MTV can pine away about the "good ole' days", we have to recognize that if MTV had stuck to music videos as it's primary form of programming then it would have long ago failed.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I think the internet has killed music videos for the most part. When they were first introduced it was a way to connect and learn more about your favorite music artists. Prior to this the only options were to see live shows or join the fan club. But, by watching a music video I could see behind the scenes or get a better feel for the artist's style, personality, showmanship, etc. etc. The internet provided music artist and labels a new and easier way to connect with their fans. Myspace took it to a new level in it's beginning by allowing unsigned artist a chance to grow a fan base on a more personal level. With all that the internet provides today it's easy to see that music videos on television can't keep up. You have to applaud MTV for recognizing this and changing their business strategy to remain successful. While those, like me, who were born in the 70's and grew up with MTV can pine away about the "good ole' days", we have to recognize that if MTV had stuck to music videos as it's primary form of programming then it would have long ago failed.

I don't think the internet killed music videos, it killed channels that showed nothing but music videos. Artists are still making them, but now you can just go to their YouTube channel and watch it whenever you want, you don't have to wait for MTV to get around to playing it.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I don't think the internet killed music videos, it killed channels that showed nothing but music videos. Artists are still making them, but now you can just go to their YouTube channel and watch it whenever you want, you don't have to wait for MTV to get around to playing it.

Um... Err... but my post clearly says.... I'm kinda at a loss for words here, so I guess I'll just say, "that's a nice grasp of the obvious you have there." ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.