Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MarketWatch yesterday briefly noted comments from Disney CEO Bob Iger during his company's earnings conference that signaled his company's excitement over Apple's iPad and the possibilities for Disney's content on the device. According to the full transcript of the call, Iger was specifically asked about the impact of the iPad by analyst Doug Mitchelson of Deutsche Bank, and his responses indicated that Disney has already been thinking about how to take advantage of the platform.
We think it could be a game changer in terms of enabling us to create essentially new forms of content. Obviously it will be a great device to play games on and to watch videos because of the clarity of the screen. But the interactivity that it will allow on a portable device with such a high quality screen is going to enable us to really start developing products that is different than the product that you typically see on an internet connected computer or on a television set.
In addition to promoting possibilities for Disney eBook-like content, Iger also raised the possibility of television tie-ins, such the ability to create an interactive experience for shows from Lost to ABC News. And in particular, Iger pointed to Disney's ESPN ScoreCenter iPhone application and how the iPad opens up tremendous possibilities for enhancing the delivery of sports scores.
ESPN Score Center which is a great App on the iPhone and provides relatively rudimentary information scores basically suddenly we have an opportunity with a platform we can really make the scores come to life.
Apple and Disney have held a relatively close relationship in recent years, with Apple CEO Steve Jobs serving as a member of Disney's Board of Directors and largest individual shareholder by virtue of the company's purchase of Pixar in 2006. In recent months, Disney has been seen as a possible lead partner in Apple's rumored plans for a television subscription service, while Disney reportedly drew on Steve Jobs' and Apple's experience in developing plans for a makeover of the company's retail stores.

Article Link: Disney CEO Bullish on 'Game Changer' iPad

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
When people start seeing the apps that will be developed specifically for the iPad, their perception of the device is going to be drastically changed...

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
When people start seeing the apps that will be developed specifically for the iPad, their perception of the device is going to be drastically changed...

Agreed. Until the App Store one could argue the iPhone was just another phone. It's not a big iPod Touch. A year from now most of the naysayers will probably own an iPad.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I wonder if Steve J. involved Disney at all during the development of the iPad? I agree with Iger that the iPad seems made for Disney and ESPN.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Im looking forward to the future.
Gaming and Video tied in with the Internets interactivity will def make this an exciting product.

the-oz-man

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Still waiting on that elusive tv subscription contract. That would be Apple's greatest accomplishment in taking down the powerhouses of TV.

allpar

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
...and what Disney CEO would be nuts enough to annoy Steve Jobs with a tepid response?

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Just think about it, when you launch your Disney iPad applications you will get the enjoyment of sitting through 10 minutes of mandatory Disney advertisements that you must watch to use your Disney application!

Disney are a bunch of bastards and the sooner people realize it the better. Do American kids know that those Disney toys and clothes they love so much are made by other kids in sweatshops?

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I can see why there is so much negativity with this product.
I for one have been waiting for a MacPro refresh e.g. Quadro FX5800 compliant, and MacBook Pro refresh e.g. i7, faster video options....
However this product is also on the top of my list for personall use and after maybe work.
I could join the lot of you and b*tch away but Ill just sit and press refresh the pages for positive news :)

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Perhaps it will be a game changer and there will be a bunch of people carrying around this device.
Subscription TV? To me that equates to being charged for things I am streaming free right now. Sounds good to me :rolleyes:

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
Yeah, yeah, yeah. We get it already! The iPad has great potential, most of which hasn't even been realized yet. What I wish people would realize is that many devices before it have had all this great potential and more often than not all the great ideas do not come to fruition.

ScoreCenter is one of my favorite apps on my iPhone but I'd hardly call it some great invention. It's just a portal to ESPN websites. I'm sure on the iPad they will add video highlights and call it a great interactive experience :/

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I'm really looking forward to some interactive ESPN apps. It would be cool to be able to control how you watch a game. For instance, in football, they have cameras ringing the field from high to low, on a wire over the field, on the goal posts, and even in a blimp sometimes. It would be cool to switch between all the views that those cameras are seeing. The ability to toggle on and off special field markers, like 1st down, field goal range, etc and bring up real time player stats and historical records. It would be like we're directing the game. Now that would be a "game changer." Hah.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I'm really looking forward to some interactive ESPN apps. It would be cool to be able to control how you watch a game. For instance, in football, they have cameras ringing the field from high to low, on a wire over the field, on the goal posts, and even in a blimp sometimes. It would be cool to switch between all the views that those cameras are seeing. The ability to toggle on and off special field markers, like 1st down, field goal range, etc and bring up real time player stats and historical records. It would be like we're directing the game. Now that would be a "game changer." Hah.

Watching a game the last thing I want is my greasy buffalo wing covered fingers manipulating a touch screen. 54 inch display to watch a game or a 10inch. too close to call

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Just think about it, when you launch your Disney iPad applications you will get the enjoyment of sitting through 10 minutes of mandatory Disney advertisements that you must watch to use your Disney application!

Disney are a bunch of bastards and the sooner people realize it the better. Do American kids know that those Disney toys and clothes they love so much are made by other kids in sweatshops?

The new cant skip over previews and what not will become the norm.
The other day I was watching SNL via on demand, and tried to FF, a little window pops up, no FF.
Nice

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009

Sorry, maybe I'm straying off the thread topic a bit, ...

I'm not a proponent of sweatshops, but aren't many things we buy (including Apple stuff) made in sweatshops? ... my point is, it's not just Disney. Nor, is sitting thru ads just a Disney thing. If this makes them 'bastards' , then so are most of the other companies out there.

CBGEEK626

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2010
I had a thought as I was drifting off to sleep last night about the Ipad and it's (known) OS and how smart it is to go that route at launch. The thing about this device is that it's a culture changer. THAT is the #1 reason it is so polarizing in my book. It's not that it is (or isn't) a device for the average MacRumors reader/ poster. It's that it isn't a device ONLY for you. It's for everyone.

So at launch Apple rolls out a device that, as SJ remarked during the Keynote, millions of people around the world intuitively know how to operate right out of the box. And if that's all you need it for (emailing, text files, video watching) then you are a happy camper who (hopefully) never needs to upgrade. THEN, a few months later Apple rolls out OS 4.0 (or whatever) for the Ipad, rich with advanced features such as multitasking etc that are of interest to more advanced users.

How much sense does this make? Allow basic users to become advanced users when THEY are ready to do so instead of forcing complexity on them just to send an email.

And then I slept like a baby.

Dave

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Yeah, yeah, yeah. We get it already! The iPad has great potential, most of which hasn't even been realized yet. What I wish people would realize is that many devices before it have had all this great potential and more often than not all the great ideas do not come to fruition.

That's because other devices just use the same software/OS as the desktop, which was never convenience for a touch device. Other devices didn't have touch SDK so developers around the world can develop great apps on.

CyberBob859

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Iger also raised the possibility of television tie-ins, such the ability to create an interactive experience for shows from Lost to ABC News.

Gee, it would be nice if they can do this for the Apple TV, so we can experience this on our nice big-screen, hi-def TV's, in our living room, for the whole family to enjoy.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Watching a game the last thing I want is my greasy buffalo wing covered fingers manipulating a touch screen. 54 inch display to watch a game or a 10inch. too close to call

While I don't see it happening any time soon, why not control what see on the 54" screen by manipulating the view on the 10" screen? Or maybe access your guide and get a preview of other shows on the iPad without shrinking the image on your TV. If someone wanted to do it, a device like the iPad could be integrated incredibly well with a TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.