Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnthonyCM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Maybe this should be in the app section, but it does concern my Mini.

I bought the Mini last week to serve as an HTPC. No keyboard or mouse was going to be needed. I downloaded the AirMouse Pro and Touch Mouse to my iTouch. However, I cannot get them to connect to the Mini when the computer is asleep, and have to attach a regular mouse to wake the computer before being able to use the apps. Do any of y'all have a fix for this?

BTW, it's hooked up to a 46" 750 series Samsung, and it looks great. No overscan issues at all, surprisingly.

Thanks,
-anthony

Hberg

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
Overland Park, KS
Maybe this should be in the app section, but it does concern my Mini.

I bought the Mini last week to serve as an HTPC. No keyboard or mouse was going to be needed. I downloaded the AirMouse Pro and Touch Mouse to my iTouch. However, I cannot get them to connect to the Mini when the computer is asleep, and have to attach a regular mouse to wake the computer before being able to use the apps. Do any of y'all have a fix for this?

BTW, it's hooked up to a 46" 750 series Samsung, and it looks great. No overscan issues at all, surprisingly.

Thanks,
-anthony

Disable the sleep function. I am sure you turn off the Samsung when not in use, but I cannot think of a reason to have the Mini sleep. I do not have my Mini set to sleep. I only turn off the Mini when I know I am not going to use for an extended period of time.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Mobile Airmouse Pro does support waking computers, but there are some limitations:

Mobile Airmouse Pro site said:
Please note that wake on lan requires that your computer be connected to your router using an ethernet cable. Many computers may require additional setup to support wake on lan. Our app simply sends a wake on lan packet to your computer, if your computer does not wake up, you will need to troubleshoot this on your own since this has to do with the configuration of your computer.

http://www.mobileairmouse.com/support.html

This is a limitation of the Wake-on-LAN technology, and not of the Airmouse program. Now Apple does have a new technology in SL that allows for wake-on-wireless if you have a new enough Mac and an Airport router.

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/08/29/snow-leopard-extends-wake-on-lan-feature-if-your-config-is-ri/

TUAW said:
The second feature requires that you pair your recent-vintage Airport with a recent Mac model (all 2009 versions, and possibly some 2008 models as well): you can wake the machine over Wi-Fi, rather than just over Ethernet. If you go to System Profiler, to the Network section and the Airport data sheet -- look for a line that says "Wake on Wireless." If it's there, you've got the capability. Your mileage may vary but it's certainly fun to try waking up your machine remotely over the WLAN -- or, for fun, your spouse's machine, just to watch them jump.

I don't see that the MAP website discusses this, so I don't know if it's supported or not, but if you have the right hardware, try turning on the feature in SysPrefs and see if it works?

elcid

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2007
I have the same setup using Plex. I use "Wake on Oui" to wake it up. Basically a WoL tool. Regardless of the program you use on your Touch you will have to have the thing plugged into ethernet...wont work over wireless.

Also, if using plex, I recommend "Snatch". Great custom remote capabilities.

AnthonyCM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Thanks for the replies. Looks like a large part of the problem was running the Mini wireless. I'll hook it up with the ethernet cable tomorrow. I had planned on eventually doing so anyway to help with the streaming of the video.

There's no way to have multiple computers wired without running cables everywhere, right? I think Time Warner told me I'd have to get a different account if I got a 2nd modem.

ADent

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
I use the Apple IR remote to wake it up.

Or Wake On LAN if I am near a computer. Wake on Oui iPhone app looks good.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
There's no way to have multiple computers wired without running cables everywhere, right? I think Time Warner told me I'd have to get a different account if I got a 2nd modem.

Well, no, there's really no way to give a computer a wired network connection without attaching an ethernet cable to it. :p

What you'd really need is a router with wired LAN ports -- they almost all have them. The router then provides wireless and wired connections to devices. If you only have one device needing WoL, the easiest setup is to do something like this:

DSL/Cable modem -> router -> wired connection to HTPC

And then you just connect everything else to it wirelessly on the router. If you can put the modem next to the HTPC Mac, then you really don't have many wires running around.

AnthonyCM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Well, no, there's really no way to give a computer a wired network connection without attaching an ethernet cable to it. :p

Maybe my question/comment wasn't clear. What I was hoping to do was buy two modems and wire computers in different rooms (instead of running wires through walls, down hallways, etc.). I don't think this is possible under the same account. I realize I can have one room wired and one wireless, but I'd prefer to have both my iMac in the guestroom wired, and the MacMini in the living room wired as well.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Oh, I wouldn't know about that.... you might incur an increased monthly fee from your provider for that.

This is making me want to put an ethernet cable on my EeeBox, though, and see if it will wake on LAN. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.