PDA

View Full Version : FlexGrip Case for iPad by Griffin

Alchematron
Feb 10, 2010, 11:52 AM
Looks like a winner

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/flexgrip-ipad

Griffin's FlexGrip case wraps your iPad in durable silicone that's easy to grip and protects against dirt, dings, dents and scratches. Fits snug around your tablet, and allows complete access to the audio output jack, dock connector, MultiTouch display and all controls.

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/6589/flexgripipad1.jpg

TraceyS/FL
Feb 10, 2010, 12:06 PM
I really liked this - i just wonder if it will work on the dock, and wishing it could also be combined with something like the Apple case.

I think we might have to use it for a week or so and see what direction to go in the case area (we meaning our household).

chrisesposito
Feb 10, 2010, 12:08 PM
Looks like a winner

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/flexgrip-ipad

Griffin's FlexGrip case wraps your iPad in durable silicone that's easy to grip and protects against dirt, dings, dents and scratches. Fits snug around your tablet, and allows complete access to the audio output jack, dock connector, MultiTouch display and all controls.

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/6589/flexgripipad1.jpg

No explicit mention of a screen protector, but apart from that I mostly agree. I've got an iSkin Revo2 case for my 3GS that has plugins for the dock and headphone ports and I'd like to see the same in an iPad case.

mrgreen4242
Feb 10, 2010, 12:29 PM
Looks OK, but I like the fact that Apple's case covers the device, has a screen protector, and doubles as a stand. Still waiting to see other companies offer similar multifunction cases.

ScrewTheDaisies
Feb 10, 2010, 03:40 PM
My iPhone slips right into my pocket, so I don't feel like I need a case that covers the front, but for the iPad, I think I might rather have something closer to Apple's design. The fact that can act as a stand is a nice bonus.

But who knows--in actual real-world use I might find out I prefer something like the FlexGrip, where it has less bulk and no cover to deal with.

rayward
Feb 10, 2010, 03:45 PM
My iPhone slips right into my pocket, so I don't feel like I need a case that covers the front, but for the iPad, I think I might rather have something closer to Apple's design. The fact that can act as a stand is a nice bonus.

But who knows--in actual real-world use I might find out I prefer something like the FlexGrip, where it has less bulk and no cover to deal with.

FlexGrip for when it's on the coffee table; Apple case for when it's on the road.

jazz1
Feb 10, 2010, 04:54 PM
The Griffin offering looks nice. I wish there was a way to have these cases fit into a dock without having to take them off. I suppose if you do then you compromise protection of the exposed areas.

applesupergeek
Feb 10, 2010, 05:06 PM
I don't really like it guys and gals, but whatever floats your boat. I don't like silicone cases, and these colours...wow can they be more garish...

I am too looking out for a multipurpose case like the apple one. As for the griffin one, I 'd prefer it in leather.

But I am more into the wear and tear of my devices instead of covering them all up in junk.

TraceyS/FL
Feb 10, 2010, 06:45 PM
I don't really like it guys and gals, but whatever floats your boat. I don't like silicone cases, and these colours...wow can they be more garish...

I am too looking out for a multipurpose case like the apple one. As for the griffin one, I 'd prefer it in leather.

But I am more into the wear and tear of my devices instead of covering them all up in junk.

All about the audience....

The iPad in this house is going to a teen, with little sisters sharing it too. Silicon is good! LOL!!

Matthew9559
Feb 10, 2010, 08:14 PM
This case looks great. I know I am getting the Apple leather case but this would be nice also.

greygray
Feb 10, 2010, 11:49 PM
Looks nice. I can't wait for one from iSkin.

macduke
Feb 11, 2010, 01:47 AM
Looks OK, but I like the fact that Apple's case covers the device, has a screen protector, and doubles as a stand. Still waiting to see other companies offer similar multifunction cases.

iLounge:
...vinyl-like PVC plastic...looks and feels somewhat cheaper than any prior Apple-designed case for an iPod, but it's not terrible.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/apple-ipad-case/

This concerns me a little because I was excited about buying this case. I didn't realize it was a cheap plastic piece of crap. I guess I'll have to wait until I can see it in the store, but $40 seems a bit high for something like this.

applesupergeek
Feb 11, 2010, 01:54 AM
All about the audience....

The iPad in this house is going to a teen, with little sisters sharing it too. Silicon is good! LOL!!

haha, good points, I am sure the children are going to have great fun with these, plus, hopefully a lot of opening up to their young minds. We can only wish such devecies where available to us at such young age.

testcard
Feb 11, 2010, 02:02 PM
WaterField have released their range of cases for the iPad: http://sfbags.com/products/ipad-cases/ipad-cases.php

mrgreen4242
Feb 11, 2010, 02:14 PM
iLounge:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/apple-ipad-case/

This concerns me a little because I was excited about buying this case. I didn't realize it was a cheap plastic piece of crap. I guess I'll have to wait until I can see it in the store, but $40 seems a bit high for something like this.

It's tough to say if the final product will be "cheap plastic crap" as the ones at the announcement were likely pre-production versions. That said, even if it's just a basic plastic sleeve it doesn't change the fact that it DOES a lot compared to the other things we've seen so far - stand in two positions and a full cover, front and back.

As for $39 being too high - I'm betting that even the Griffin sleeve posted here, which is just a plastic slip on cover, will be $29, $19 at the least. $40 for covering the screen and having a multi-position stand is a pretty good deal.

Jaro65
Feb 11, 2010, 02:52 PM

I agree - the tilt-up feature is especially handy. No doubt sooner or later there will be other alternatives to Apple's case. Still, if Apple's is any good, I may just end up using that.

mrgreen4242
Feb 11, 2010, 03:16 PM
I agree - the tilt-up feature is especially handy. No doubt sooner or later there will be other alternatives to Apple's case. Still, if Apple's is any good, I may just end up using that.

The big +1 Apple will get with their case is that I can get it at the same time as the iPad... protected from day 1. Can always get a new one down the road if you want to.

applesupergeek
Feb 11, 2010, 10:40 PM
I really love waterfield designs, but so far no option for a tilt back case a la apple.

MacAgnostic
Feb 12, 2010, 11:19 AM
Ok, I get that you don't like silicone cases, but how do you figure black or white are garish? Are you dissing it because they offer a variety of colors?

What does that mean? You like them looking scratched to hell?
Sure. Apple's products generally look better uncovered, but it's not like the iPad, iPod or iPhone have any built-in provision to protect them from scratches caused by simply setting them on a surface.

mrklaw
Feb 12, 2010, 01:14 PM
I don't bother protecting my ipod touch and its held up pretty well.

I don't see the point in covering the shiny back to keep it shiny, when you never see the .... shiny..

Although with the ipad I'm thinking practically. Something a little soft, and a little sticky would be good for
- stopping it marking my coffee table
- stopping it spinning/rocking if you're laying it on a table and sharing the display with someone
- stop it sliding off your lap if you have it propped up on the sofa/bed

bowzer
Jun 5, 2010, 02:55 PM
Picked one of these up today as it seemed like the best one that they had instock at best buy... Was loving it, until I placed it on the sofa where my dog sits, total dog hair magnet :/

Probably going to have to return it, as it's already driving me crazy being able to feel all the hairs stuck on the back as I am typing this.

Otherwise I really liked it, perfect fit and very little extra bulk.