PDA

View Full Version : Help! iPod battery problem

Eevee
Aug 26, 2004, 11:22 PM
I fully charged my 4G (20 GB) iPod and it just won't play longer than 2-3 hrs instead of the acclaimed 12hrs! Could my new iPod be defective? Does anyone have similar problems? Any insights/tips/comments? Thanks!

apple2991
Aug 26, 2004, 11:44 PM
Sure sounds like a defect.

Make sure you don't have any weird settings turned on like all the equalization crap, the backlight always running, contrast all the way up, etc. Also, if you are playing extremely high quality files and picking and choosing your songs a lot--say, like, listen to one song from a playlist, then going to a totally different artist--could reduce the time you get from a charge.

Are you operating it in an extremely hot/cold environment? Have you dropped it?

None of these are probably the case, and even if they may be a contributing factor, it still may very well be a defective battery. Remember, however, that 12 hours is the ADVERTISED battery life. 12 hours is certainly attainable if you use 128k or 192k encoded mp3 files and don't change playlists too much (causing the cache to get erased and re-filled), but not necessarily a guarantee.

P.S. I dropped my 4g 20gig on the kitchen floor yesterday from counter-height. It ****ing sucked, but all seems well.

yoda13
Aug 26, 2004, 11:49 PM
While I am skeptical of the 12 hour battery life that Apple claims, 2-3 would not be acceptable from the old models. I would get on the phone with Apple as soon as possible. Or if you have a store nearby, take it back and get some help.

Eevee
Aug 27, 2004, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the replies! So, apple2991: since you have the same iPod, how long would your fully-charged battery normally last (given no extreme operating conditions/settings, selecting songs from various playlists, etc.)?

And even if my battery is defective, would Apple take it back or something?

apple2991
Aug 27, 2004, 01:04 PM
If the battery does prove to be defective under Apple's specifications--which, if 2-3 hours is the absolute MOST you can get that battery to last, you would certainly qualify--they will most likely just hand you a new iPod.

As far as my battery life, I have only had mine for a couple of weeks, and it is my first iPod. So far, however, I would estimate probably 8 hours if I just went through and constantly picked individual songs. Don't be skeptical of the 12-hour estimate--it can happen!

AliensAreFuzzy
Aug 27, 2004, 01:16 PM
A friend of mine has a 4G ipod and when he uses it with his iTrip he gets a good 10 hours from it.