Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
UK
Hi,

I just bought an old iMac G4 17" 1.25GHZ, 768MB RAM on eBay (still love the design and I am currently out of a 'serious' Mac as my MBP died, but I need to at least use photoshop at home for uni work until new Macs are out). Are there any tips from iMac G4 users on what's upgradable, to what extent, and how to best clean the plastic, etc. (any other tips welcome, too).

I would guess the max. RAM on this thing is 1GB, is that right? What kind of RAM does it use, how big is the max. HDD it would take, is airport card installation possible (how much?) etc. (I am guessing there's no 3rd party cpu upgrade for the iMac's G4..?)

Finally, is it hard to open the iMac G4 to replace those components? (I know my way around hardware a bit, have assembled two Windows PCs in the past and replaced the HDD on a non-unibody MBP. Also, performance-wise which versions of Photoshop and FCP would run the best (I am aware that this is an old machine and it will be slow)? Is PS cs4 even remotely possible?

Thanks,
Chris

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
UK
hi, thanks for the URL. How about the software side of things? And the difficulty? (see first post).

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
photoshop cs 4 is for osx tiger available, so should be fine on the imac g4 , maybe not as fast as on a iMac with i7 , but you didnt expect that or did ya ?

and upgrade the ram to max possible (2 gb ), other then that maybe a bigger harddrive if you wish , when you upgrade the ram to full 2 gb you have to take the iMac apart anyway so fitting a bigger drive is easy done then

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Hi,

I just bought an old iMac G4 17" 1.25GHZ, 768MB RAM on eBay (still love the design and I am currently out of a 'serious' Mac as my MBP died, but I need to at least use photoshop at home for uni work until new Macs are out). Are there any tips from iMac G4 users on what's upgradable, to what extent, and how to best clean the plastic, etc. (any other tips welcome, too).

I would guess the max. RAM on this thing is 1GB, is that right? What kind of RAM does it use, how big is the max. HDD it would take, is airport card installation possible (how much?) etc. (I am guessing there's no 3rd party cpu upgrade for the iMac's G4..?)

Finally, is it hard to open the iMac G4 to replace those components? (I know my way around hardware a bit, have assembled two Windows PCs in the past and replaced the HDD on a non-unibody MBP. Also, performance-wise which versions of Photoshop and FCP would run the best (I am aware that this is an old machine and it will be slow)? Is PS cs4 even remotely possible?

Thanks,
Chris

You can use the Magic Eraser to clean the white plastic. It worked on mine. The max memory this can take is 2gb of DDR or 2x 1gb. DDR PC2700-3200 will work and it uses one desktop sized stick(inside) and a sodimm(laptop) sized in the user serviceable slot underneath the bottom, there's also an Airport Extreme slot under there too.

Any ATA/IDE HDD will work, and I believe the largest is a 640gb? You could also use an SSD or compact flash card with an adapter for a near silent and cooler Mac.

The CPU is not upgradable as it's soldered to the logic board along with the graphics card. However, the CPU is actually overclockable but usually the benefits aren't worth the extra 1-300mhz. Sure is fun to mess with them though :p.

Just remember that if you take it apart aside from just the serviceable slot underneath, that you will need to reapply thermal paste to the contact pads of the heatsinks, otherwise you run the risk of overheating and cooking your components :)

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
UK
Thanks for all the input guys. How does opening the case to replace the HDD and the internal RAM compare to doing an HDD swap on a MBP (non-unibody) in terms of difficulty?

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
UK
Hi, I just picked it up. I love it!

A few more questions and a few tips from myself to existing iMac G4 users:

- the screen (matte) has a very very fine scratch, only visible if you focus on it. Is there any way to remove that scratch (with plastic polisher / scratch remover?)

- the bezel seems to be made of a similar plastic to the old glossy plastic iPod fronts. I tried applying AppleSauce (removes scratches on certain types of glossy plastic, I also used this to fix my Samsung T260HD screen bezel. It fell over on my desk once and got scratched up pretty badly, it looks like new now!) and it worked, but only if you use the dry wipes that come with AppleSauce).

- how do you polish chrome (I believe this is what the front Apple logo is made of?)

- thanks for the Magic Eraser tip, I willtry that..so far I've been using disinfectant wipes, which work pretty well, too because of the alcohol in them.

- is there any way to put a more silent fan in there? or is that major major surgery?

- does apple still sell airport cards in store?

cya,
Chris.

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
UK
15" ones go for around 70-150 pounds, 17" ones go for around 150-300 pounds and 20" ones aren't on eBay that often, but go for around 250-400 when they are. I guess the prices are still quite high because many people still looooove the design and because they are actually still usable for general stuff (especially the highest end at 1.25GHz, G4 and if you max. out your RAM). I just installed Photoshop CS 4 and Office 2008, both are definitely usable (although I guess CS3 would run smoother)..but to be honest, I am amazed at how powerful the G4 was for its time. I am running Leopard on it and it's actually pretty snappy and I only have 768MB of RAM installed at the moment o_O

I also got a graphite G3 iMac on eBay once. I paid 12 pounds for it and it was in perfect condition. I love eBay..it gives new life to people's old Macs :)

Now, anyone got any comments on my last post ? :)

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
yeah I have a bunch of G3 imacs and ibooks (clamshell of course!), but have never had enough cash to just spend on an imac g4. Hopefully I'll get my chance sooner rather than later, i'd love to use it as an itunes machine

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
UK
yeah I have a bunch of G3 imacs and ibooks (clamshell of course!), but have never had enough cash to just spend on an imac g4. Hopefully I'll get my chance sooner rather than later, i'd love to use it as an itunes machine

For iTunes it's perfect I think. Being able to pull the screen all the way down to the table (okay, not allllll the way,but it's only 3cm away from it if you pull it down completely) is a great feature and would make an 'audio-use-only' setup look even more simple :)

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
UK
I just finished cleaning it as much as possible. Is there any way to remove scratches on LCD displays without messing up the matte coating? (please see questions about five posts before).

Also, I can't believe I didn't notice this before lol....but .....the screen is bigger...the guy sold me a 20" as a 17" lol.. I wish there wasn't that slight scratch though..

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I just finished cleaning it as much as possible. Is there any way to remove scratches on LCD displays without messing up the matte coating? (please see questions about five posts before).

Also, I can't believe I didn't notice this before lol....but .....the screen is bigger...the guy sold me a 20" as a 17" lol.. I wish there wasn't that slight scratch though..

Wow great deal! The 20" have 1680x1050 resolution while the 17" have 1440x900. But yeah they sure do have awesome displays in those iMac G4s. I had mine in my kitchen and was perfect for streaming music and movies while you worked in there.

Only thing it needed was a touch screen interface ;)

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
UK
Yep, it's definitely a 20" :) weird that the seller put it up on eBay as a 17" lol.

Anyway.. what do you guys think about this:

- the screen (matte) has a very very fine scratch, only visible if you focus on it. Is there any way to remove that scratch (with plastic polisher / scratch remover?) without damaging the surface of the screen?

- how do you polish chrome (I believe this is what the front Apple logo is made of?)

- is there any way to put a more silent fan in there? or is that major major surgery?

- does apple still sell airport cards in store?
if not, who does?

cya,
Chris.

oneoftheelect

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2010
Toronto
Only thing it needed was a touch screen interface ;)

This is something I've been thinking about a lot.
I recently snagged a 15'' iMac g4 (the lowest model) as a digital frame/jukebox/addressbook/widgets appliance. Got an airport card in the mail. Might upgrade ram depending on need.

Anyways, back to the touchscreen;
I've been looking at options, and found a vendor on ebay selling what should be compatible touch screen kits.(link).

I think it would be pretty damn sweet. I also stumbled across this youtube video showing basically the same thing. link

Any reason why this wouldn't work/I'm being fooled?

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
UK
I recently snagged a 15'' iMac g4 (the lowest model) as a digital frame/jukebox/addressbook/widgets appliance. Got an airport card in the mail. Might upgrade ram depending on need.

I've been looking at options, and found a vendor on ebay selling what should be compatible touch screen kits.(link).

I think it would be pretty damn sweet. I also stumbled across this youtube video showing basically the same thing. link

how can they be so cheap?

ps: thanks I'll try the vaseline trick :)

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio

I've been looking at options, and found a vendor on ebay selling what should be compatible touch screen kits.(
link).

Cool thanks for the links. Wish those kits were a little bit cheaper. I'd hate to pay more for the kit than the iMac itself. Also a kit for the widescreen 17"/20" model would be more ideal. Would be cool to get a 1ghz 15" model with the USB2, DDR and APX then it would probably be worth it.

You can see in the video that it's a 15" model so I'm sure he used that eBay kit. Also it's real because the mouse "jumps" to the location that he touches on his screen so it's not a touch with left hand, move mouse with right hand off-screen trick ;). The eBay kits also mention OSX compatibility. :)

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
UK
Is it possible to replace the 20" panel with another 20" panel (a non original one?) or would that not fit/not have the right connections?

Also, that touchscreen kit.. you would put that on top of the panel right? It's not a standalone touchscreen LCD panel (is it?)

Is it normal that it has problems with Flash 10? Flash on the G4 is really quite slow :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.