Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hitrate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Copenhagen
Hey guys, I'm a hopefully soon new Macbook Pro 17" owner..

I have a question somewhat unrelated to mac specifically (other than software video editor advice). My question is:

What do I need to have equipment and software wise in order to do green-screen video's where I can be in front of the camera recording myself with a green-screen (which i already got) as my backdrop and be able to see myself on the camera/computer/external monitor live with whatever background that I choose to put as a layer on the greenscreen..

In other words, like pro weather reporters can do - they stand infront of a green-screen and are able to see where their hands are pointing, looking at a screen that's behind the camera which is filming them live...

(so far I got the screen and various cheap cams untill i get a hd camcorder..which will probably be a canon s21 or something like that, unless I need a specific camera that has fw out or something like that?)

Hope someone have som suggestions on how to do this at a low budget, but still with good results...primarily for youtube and music videos..

Hitrate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Copenhagen
I believe you can use Photobooth actually. It can remove backgrounds and replace with your own. Unless you want to do something more complicated...

Aight, cool....What I'm specifially wanna get some advice on, is how I can use this technology live. Meaning, I don't wanna stand in front of the green-screen and record and then edit afterwards. I wanna be able to (on my computer or on the camera's screen or on an external lcd) see a background movie/image's that are playing AS I'm recording myself standing in front of the green-screen, so I know the reference points and can do some "acting" and "walk on water" for instance, being able to actually see where the water is relative to my feet and such....(hope that makes sence)

I'm sure the camera needs something special in that regard, and that not all editing programs can handle this request....Anyone actually doing this or know what I'm talking about that could help?

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Photobooth will do this live. The camera doesn't need anything special. It's all in software. You just need to point Photobooth to the background you want to use which can either be a movie or a still image.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Photobooth will do this live. The camera doesn't need anything special. It's all in software. You just need to point Photobooth to the background you want to use which can either be a movie or a still image.

Like Silent Panda said.

You can do custom backgrounds in PhotoBooth and you can do 'live monitoring' of your performance. And it's free.

But, for PhotoBooth's 'green screen' method, you need a very well lit room and great contrast between you and the background (same as a normal green screen setup, minus the green screen).

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
But, for PhotoBooth's 'green screen' method, you need a very well lit room and great contrast between you and the background (same as a normal green screen setup, minus the green screen).

He already has a green screen. I don't see why you couldn't employ that here still. Photobooth theoretically works without a green screen but having one would make it work better I'd imagine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.