PDA

View Full Version : Older power Mac and the new 24in display

furryelvis
Feb 11, 2010, 11:36 AM
Desperate to replace my now too old G5 power Mac, I decided to order a new 27in i mac. I was cheerfully informed by the assistant in my local mac shop that I would have to wait six weeks or so and he would put me on a waiting list. I felt this was unreasonable and thought I had found a clever plan to get something better.
So I bought a new 24in display, attached it to my newish laptop and away we went. After a short while I found the whole experience a little lumpy:(with six connections every time I wanted to take the laptop home. I bought a used power Mac instead, an intel duel 2.66 power mac. I have found out today that according to Apple that there is no connection to be made from the mac to the display, I am gutted and fed up. The display has a bunch of cables coming out, only one choice, mini DV1. The computer has DVI. No adapter is available apparently. Anyone have any suggestions apart from spending nearly 300 on a Radeon 4870

boogieman
Feb 11, 2010, 11:41 AM
Desperate to replace my now too old G5 power Mac, I decided to order a new 27in i mac. I was cheerfully informed by the assistant in my local mac shop that I would have to wait six weeks or so and he would put me on a waiting list. I felt this was unreasonable and thought I had found a clever plan to get something better.
So I bought a new 24in display, attached it to my newish laptop and away we went. After a short while I found the whole experience a little lumpy:(with six connections every time I wanted to take the laptop home. I bought a used power Mac instead, an intel duel 2.66 power mac. I have found out today that according to Apple that there is no connection to be made from the mac to the display, I am gutted and fed up. The display has a bunch of cables coming out, only one choice, mini DV1. The computer has DVI. No adapter is available apparently. Anyone have any suggestions apart from spending nearly 300 on a Radeon 4870

This http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=dvi+to+apple+mini+displayport&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=14661596325535376631&ei=-UB0S76OI8-Utgfi9YW1Cg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=image&resnum=5&ved=0CDEQ8gIwBA#

Or this?? http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9321G/B

furryelvis
Feb 11, 2010, 11:51 AM
no I dont think that is right. The apple display does not have a port, it has a as far as I am aware, male mini DVI on a cable and these adapter and are designed to attach to a power book or something like that. I would need a dvi connector attached to a female mini Dvi connector. I could be wrong, happy to be corrected.

Wehrwolf
Feb 11, 2010, 12:24 PM
This http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=dvi+to+apple+mini+displayport&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=14661596325535376631&ei=-UB0S76OI8-Utgfi9YW1Cg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=image&resnum=5&ved=0CDEQ8gIwBA#

Or this?? http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9321G/B

Uh...no. Those are for connecting a computer with a MiniDisplayPort output (like the current MBPs) to a display that only has DVI. What the OP needs is this:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/02/atlona-ships-at-dp200-dvi-to-mini-displayport-adapter/

And a side note to the OP: With respect, next time consider doing a little more research before making purchases to make sure things are compatible with each other - it will save you a lot of headache later on.

furryelvis
Feb 11, 2010, 01:52 PM
with respect, what kind of company changes connections seemingly for the hell of it, just to make a few more bucks. For example firewire 800. Most apple products in the past have been fairly backwards compatable, or adapters have been available. With respect you are being a little condescending there. Its hard to think of every eventuality or thing that might have changed. Not everyone can afford completely new kit every time. Yes next time I will look into maybe buying a PC instead

Transporteur
Feb 11, 2010, 02:36 PM
Not everyone can afford completely new kit every time.

No not everyone can do that, but what everyone can do is a little research BEFORE buying new computer stuff.
Keep in mind that this is a fast changing industry, not only at Apple!

However, first of all please provide proper information.
There is no PowerMac with Intel processors. PowerMacs have (that's where the name come from) Power PC processors, in case of a large aluminium box G5 processors.

If you've got one of these, the only way to get the 24" LED connected is to buy an active converter, such like this:
http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-DVI-to-Mini-DisplayPort-Converter-p-17859.html.

In case that you've bought a Mac Pro (Intel processors) you can either go with the former mentioned adapter, or, and that's what I recommend, buy a new graphics card with a Mini DP port, such like the NVIDIA GT120 from the current Mac Pro. This card goes for about 100 bucks on Ebay.

Dr.Pants
Feb 11, 2010, 02:54 PM
I bought a used power Mac instead, an intel duel 2.66 power mac.

You sir have a MacPro. Go to the :apple: in the top right corner, hit "about this mac", then "More Info..." then find the model number (aka MacPro 1,1 , or the like).

Anyone have any suggestions apart from spending nearly 300 on a Radeon 4870
There's a cheaper adapter to go from DVI to MDP, but at the same time its so expensive I would justify the MDP slot on Apple's card.

Umbongo
Feb 11, 2010, 03:29 PM
with respect, what kind of company changes connections seemingly for the hell of it, just to make a few more bucks. For example firewire 800. Most apple products in the past have been fairly backwards compatable, or adapters have been available. With respect you are being a little condescending there. Its hard to think of every eventuality or thing that might have changed. Not everyone can afford completely new kit every time. Yes next time I will look into maybe buying a PC instead

Just Apple. The 24'' is an accessory for their latest notebooks, it happens to work with their other current systems too. They aren't in the computer display market, hence they don't care to sell to as many customers as possible.

Wehrwolf
Feb 11, 2010, 03:34 PM

It wasn't my intent to be condescending or sarcastic with the "with respect" remark, and I made my suggestion about doing some research in the future, because you obviously didn't do any. I also went to the trouble of answering your question for you, instead of just saying "Go Google it", like some people might have.

I consider it common sense to do research before purchasing a high price item like a computer or display, because, just as you pointed out, not everyone can afford a completely new kit every time. (And I sure as hell can't, so please don't assume that I'm made of money and am trying to rub it in your face) Most companies including Apple post specifications and system requirements for their products, so it doesn't exactly require that much effort. There are also forums like these where one can ask whether component A and B are compatible or not.

In any case, I apologize if I offended you. I was merely expressing my views.

alphaod
Feb 11, 2010, 04:42 PM
A used dual 2.66GHz sounds like a first generation Mac Pro, which means the only options you have are to buy the Radeon 4870, use any video card with the converter box, or buy a 4870 and flash it.

Transporteur
Feb 11, 2010, 04:45 PM
A used dual 2.66GHz sounds like a first generation Mac Pro, which means the only options you have are to buy the Radeon 4870, use any video card with the converter box, or buy a 4870 and flash it.

What about the GT120? Doesn't it work in the first gen Pro?

alphaod
Feb 12, 2010, 05:02 AM
What about the GT120? Doesn't it work in the first gen Pro?

I believe the GT120 only has a 64-bit EFI, so No.