PDA

View Full Version : PICTURES OF NEW HP iPOD

outerspaceapple
Aug 27, 2004, 08:56 AM
Hey Mac Rumors dudes,

I just watched the hp announcement broadcast over windoze media player, and took some screenshots of the new iPods.

Enjoy:

http://wm.illusionfxnet.com/pictures/hp_ipod1.jpg

http://wm.illusionfxnet.com/pictures/hp_ipod2.jpg
You can't quite see it, as I couldn't command + ctrl + shift + 4 + space + click fast enough, but there's a 20GB model (the red box) sitting under that 40GB model.

http://wm.illusionfxnet.com/pictures/hp_ipod3.jpg
Note for the above pic. In the presentation, it showed a user starting with a plain iPod, then literally attaching a "sticker" or window-cling like thing to it. It does not come standard like that.

Peace,
~~Eddy~~

iJon
Aug 27, 2004, 09:16 AM
looks good. i like the look of the box. i always thought hp had nice appealing boxes like apple, i also enjoy their commercials.

iJon

KevRC4130
Aug 27, 2004, 09:56 AM
I dont understand the point of the HP iPod, all it is is an Apple with a different box. It's still even got the Apple logo! They're identical models, identical prices.... it's stupid. Anyone have an explanataion?

bousozoku
Aug 27, 2004, 10:07 AM
The sticker is something they're calling "tattoos" that they print from an HP printer to give the iPod a new look quickly.

Apmonia
Aug 27, 2004, 10:09 AM
There are two reasons for Apple to let this happen:
1. Some people won't buy anything from Apple. Even if it has the Apple logo on the back, they "bought" it from HP, a PC company, and therefore it is something good.

2. Rebates. Just like the Jam and Cram deal, you can now get mail-in rebates on a PC and not only a Mac. For Apple and HP, this is a win-win situation. Apple sells its iPod to show just how well their products work and HP has the iPod. The great thing about it is when the customers HP computer gets spyware or just plain fails and the iPod keeps going, Apple might just get a few switchers out of the deal. :)

Apmonia

AmigoMac
Aug 27, 2004, 11:46 AM
There are two reasons for Apple to let this happen:
1. Some people won't buy anything from Apple. Even if it has the Apple logo on the back, they "bought" it from HP, a PC company, and therefore it is something good.

Apmonia

I second that, I know a man who isn't a PC geek but a Mac hater, he sucks just because he used mac just once, 6 years ago, and still says that there is no competition against a PC, he has never seen the iLife apps and has no idea about Mac os X ... those kind of people are overall ... S*ckers :mad:

outerspaceapple
Aug 27, 2004, 12:23 PM
The sticker is something they're calling "tattoos" that they print from an HP printer to give the iPod a new look quickly.

Well that's certainly an almost cool idea.. i just hope it doesn't leave any residue, since that would stick to your hand and make the iPod very uncomfortable without attaching another sticker to it.. which eventually you'd get tired of and take off. Basically, unless it uses no adhesive its gonna suck pretty bad.

James Craner
Aug 27, 2004, 12:31 PM
This is a win win situation for both companies. Apple has just got onboard a huge distributor for it's iPod and HP now has the cool iPod to make it's PC's look cool too. An ideal partnership I would say.

rueyeet
Aug 27, 2004, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the pics...it's nice to know that the "corpse blue" of the HP re-branding was restricted to the box. :)
The sticker is something they're calling "tattoos" that they print from an HP printer to give the iPod a new look quickly.If they come off as easily as they go on, it's an interesting application, especially for the skinning/faceplates heavy-personalization crowd. Wonder if printing really has to be done from an HP printer, or if it's just a matter of a template, the right print media, and an image: if that were the case, anyone not fond of plain white could stick anything on their iPod.

iceTrX
Aug 27, 2004, 01:22 PM
Is that an HP logo under the apple logo? :p

edit: I mean on the back of the iPod.

bousozoku
Aug 27, 2004, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the pics...it's nice to know that the "corpse blue" of the HP re-branding was restricted to the box. :)
If they come off as easily as they go on, it's an interesting application, especially for the skinning/faceplates heavy-personalization crowd. Wonder if printing really has to be done from an HP printer, or if it's just a matter of a template, the right print media, and an image: if that were the case, anyone not fond of plain white could stick anything on their iPod.

Even if they start as HP-only media, someone will develop similar sticky paper because there will be money in it. It's an interesting idea but it still doesn't protect the iPod and I'm sure the various translucent cases will be in demand more than ever.

It will be nice to see an iPod presence in various stores where HP has an agreement but Apple does not. Maybe with HP and Apple selling iPods at Best Buy, they'll be placed in a display more than 2 inches from the floor.

kgarner
Aug 27, 2004, 02:55 PM
Are there really no differences other than the HP logo on the back? I would think that there should be something else different, like different included accessories or something. Either way I think this is a very big deal for Apple.

I wonder who will be the next to do this. Anybody have a good suggestion of who could benefit from this trend next?

bousozoku
Aug 27, 2004, 03:03 PM
Are there really no differences other than the HP logo on the back? I would think that there should be something else different, like different included accessories or something. Either way I think this is a very big deal for Apple.

I wonder who will be the next to do this. Anybody have a good suggestion of who could benefit from this trend next?

I'm sure that the power on sequence displays an HP logo.

outerspaceapple
Aug 27, 2004, 03:50 PM
Is that an HP logo under the apple logo? :p

edit: I mean on the back of the iPod.

yup

quagmire
Aug 27, 2004, 04:06 PM

There ipods don't work with macs.

kgarner
Aug 27, 2004, 04:15 PM
Do they really not work with Macs, or is it just that HP is only advertising that they work with PCs, but saying nothing about them working with Macs. I guess Apple could put some code in there to keep them from working on Macs in order to force (like they would need to :rolleyes: ) Mac users to buy the Apple version. nayone have a link to any info on this?

iJon
Aug 27, 2004, 04:25 PM
are you assuming that or is that a fact they have stated. I highly doubt apple would let them do that, in case that customer ever wanted to switch but wanted to keep their current ipod

iJon

Nermal
Aug 27, 2004, 04:45 PM
HP probably doesn't want to provide tech support for Mac users, so they say that their iPod only works with Windows. It'll probably still work fine on the Mac.

...in order to force (like they would need to :rolleyes: ) Mac users to buy the Apple version.

Assuming that the HP version does in fact work with Macs, I would most likely buy the HP version rather than the Apple one. I'll need to wait and see local pricing, but HP's one will probably end up cheaper than Apple's.

quagmire
Aug 27, 2004, 04:52 PM
are you assuming that or is that a fact they have stated. I highly doubt apple would let them do that, in case that customer ever wanted to switch but wanted to keep their current ipod

iJon

I am sure it doesn't work for Mac. If you look under the compatibility of hp's ipod there is no mac symbol. Sorry, for not pointing that earlier. I am sure though that apple disabled Mac compatibilty but, there might be a hack or something that you can download that activates that software. But, I have no idea. We just have to wait and see if it doesn't work for mac.

iMeowbot
Aug 27, 2004, 10:50 PM
In fact HP's product description says that the included software will be for both Windows and Mac. HP are only specifying Windows support because 1) they don't have the expertise to support Mac users 2) HP sell computers that run several operating systems other than Windows and 3) promoting the HFS+ capability would confuse HP's marketing message of hey look, the iPod is compatible with HP's Windows offerings!

Their marketing message would obviously be altered if/when the distribution arrangement included other Apple products.

aswitcher
Aug 27, 2004, 11:26 PM
HP probably doesn't want to provide tech support for Mac users, so they say that their iPod only works with Windows. It'll probably still work fine on the Mac.

Assuming that the HP version does in fact work with Macs, I would most likely buy the HP version rather than the Apple one. I'll need to wait and see local pricing, but HP's one will probably end up cheaper than Apple's.

Competition is a good thing and I hope to see $100AUD wiped off the price soon of both models...maybe more

bousozoku
Aug 27, 2004, 11:34 PM
It's interesting to me that I've read in stock news that the HP version is clone of the iPod and that most of the news seems to imply that Apple has nothing to do with it and that HP is going to use their powerful distribution capabilities to crush Apple in the music business.

It's no wonder that Apple's stock price has been down today.

Powerbook G5
Aug 27, 2004, 11:51 PM
Where did you come up with it not working with Macs? On their own website they list it for both PC and Mac, it even states that it includes an install disc with iTunes for both Windows and Mac on the disc...

quagmire
Aug 28, 2004, 12:01 AM
Where did you come up with it not working with Macs? On their own website they list it for both PC and Mac, it even states that it includes an install disc with iTunes for both Windows and Mac on the disc...

Itr says under description part before you add it to your cart. It only has the windows symbol. But, maybe iMeowBot is right and it does work with mac but, HP doesn't want to provide for Mac users.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/home/store_access.jsp?BV_SessionID=%40%40%40%400162655405.1093669075%40%40%40%40&BV_EngineID=ccecadcmgjdemiecfngcfkmdflldfjl.0&template_type=product_detail&page=home&site=main&product_code=PE435A%23ABA

Powerbook G5
Aug 28, 2004, 12:10 AM
It would be odd that they'd include software for the Mac if the iPod were somehow formatted not to be compatible with it.

bousozoku
Aug 28, 2004, 12:14 AM
It would be odd that they'd include software for the Mac if the iPod were somehow formatted not to be compatible with it.

It's possible that they're all formatted for Windows.

Powerbook G5
Aug 28, 2004, 12:16 AM
If that were the case, then it can still work for the Mac. The only way I could see the iPod not working at all with the Mac is if Apple put a chip inside of it that somehow locks it out, otherwise it will be capable of being used with either system.

iMeowbot
Aug 28, 2004, 01:52 AM
See the HP iPod specs page (http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_detail/product_detail_view.jsp?landing=null&category=music&subcat1=ipod&catLevel=3&product_code=PE436A%23ABA&tab=detailed_specs). It works with Mac.

EJBasile
Aug 28, 2004, 06:49 AM
I don't like how a PC comoany is selling Macs- it just seems weird. I can see the companies reasons but it just for me does not seem to fit. I like HP, I have bought 1 pc, 3 printers and 1 scanner from them

thecow
Aug 28, 2004, 08:34 AM
No, the PC company is selling iPods, not Macs.

Apmonia
Aug 28, 2004, 11:24 PM
Technically HP isn't selling the iPod inasmuch as repackaging it, it's the local electronic stores, e.i. Fry's, Circuit City, Best Buy, and CompUSA that are selling them. This might backfire on Apple because, unlike clones, these look exactly the same. So, if one customer comes in and looks at two different iPods, one with mail-in rebates (presumably the HP), and one without (premusably the Apple), which one are they going to buy? And more importantly, which company is that building a brand loyalty toward? My only fear with this merger is that the HP iPod sells so well that they actually stop using the iPod and develop their own player, then those customers who were happy with the last HP iPod they bought, buy the new player instead believing it to be an HP product. Then Apple loses, again.

I hope none of the aforementioned comes true.

Apmonia

outerspaceapple
Aug 29, 2004, 12:03 AM
wow, this is amazing. I started this thread, and i'm still the only person who's posted any actual pics of the thing!

c'mon guys, lets get some pics in here, thats the whole reason i stared this thing.

:eek:

rdowns
Aug 29, 2004, 07:52 AM
I dont understand the point of the HP iPod, all it is is an Apple with a different box. It's still even got the Apple logo! They're identical models, identical prices.... it's stupid. Anyone have an explanataion?

I don't see how this can be a bad thing for Apple. They gain access to distribution that they could only dream about before. They gain access to PC users who may have never considered an Apple product. They gain access to better shelf space at retail and outlets that Apple products have never been in (Walmart, Costco to name 2) They have iTunes and Quicktime pre-installed on millions of PCs and as the default music player. They keep Microsoft's music offering off of HP and Compaq PCs. The only thing they lose is a few margin points on the iPods HP sells since Apple will probably sell more wholesale than at retail. Even that is arguable. Bottom line, they will sell more iPods with HP than without.

Let's not forget about the iTMS. Don't buy Apple's BS, this can be a huge money maker for them as the market grows and if they can retain market share.

rdowns
Aug 29, 2004, 07:55 AM
I am sure it doesn't work for Mac. If you look under the compatibility of hp's ipod there is no mac symbol. Sorry, for not pointing that earlier. I am sure though that apple disabled Mac compatibilty but, there might be a hack or something that you can download that activates that software. But, I have no idea. We just have to wait and see if it doesn't work for mac.

There is no Mac or PC compatibility on the iPod; it's how you format the drive. Either way you format it, it will work on a Mac.

V.A.Toss
Aug 29, 2004, 09:29 AM
This strategy of licensing out, or selling out a design to another company has been done before. Unsuccesfully.

Lotus sold the Elise chassis to Vauxhall for their VX220. At first this seemed like a great idea for both sides. Lotus a small manufacturer, needed money. Vauxhall, utterly inept at chassis design and part of GMs family of bollocks cars; needed a chassis for a sportscar.

But then once the VX220 was built it just didnt sell, at all. Infact it was an unmitigated disaster.

The reason for this was, if you wanted to buy a sportscar would you buy a cool lotus elise, with status and badge credibility. Or buy an identical car with a vauxhall badge.

Well most people chose the Elise.

This isnt just about Apple haters and HP lovers (or vise versa). When paying 240 for an MP3 player most people pick the one they think will appear cooler. An MP3 player is as much about status, fashion, and looking good as anything else.

If someone who bought the Hpod met a person who had bought an iPod, Mr Hpod would feel not only ashamed but also pretty stupid for spending 220 on an inferior brand label.

There are people (believe it or not) who love GM and vauxhalls, they swear by them. There are also people who hate Lotus touting them as inferior british sportscars (i assure you they are not). But the evidence shows that the Vauxhall didnt sell, the elise did. So either Lotus haters bought the Elise and swallowed their pride, or they bought from another manufacturer altogether.

Either way, its not a good sign for HP. Great for Apple though so im not complaining.

rfenik
Aug 29, 2004, 08:51 PM
This image is currently on the hp homepage. This has got to be the WORST iPod ad ever. The earbuds don't even look real, they curve too much - which makes it look like the cord holds it's shape or something. Clearly just a couple of photoshopped bezier curves. Couldn't they take a pictureof someone wearing and holding the hp iPod instead of superimposing some stock photography? Why isn't she holding the iPod or keeping it in her pocket? iPods don't float behind you. It just looks cheap the way the did it, unlike Apple's ads which look ... well... cool.

They should have made the earbuds hp blue instead of keeping them white.

micvog
Sep 1, 2004, 03:00 PM
My only fear with this merger is that the HP iPod sells so well that they actually stop using the iPod and develop their own player, then those customers who were happy with the last HP iPod they bought, buy the new player instead believing it to be an HP product. Then Apple loses, again.

Except, as Real, Napster and Dell still haven't figured out, Apple's strength isn't just the iPod... or iTunes... or iTunes Music Store, each of which are best in class. But, Apple's strength is the combination of the three. Beating Apple in this market will take a lot more than coming up with an iPod killer, it will also take a killer media player and music store. And with different companies providing different parts, how likely is that to happen? Especially since one of them is Microsoft.