PDA

View Full Version : Airport on existing network with router

Le Big Mac
Aug 27, 2004, 09:20 AM
I have a wired network at home (linksys router), running through a cable modem. Say I wanted to add wireless access, but leaving the wired network for the desktops, tivo, and printer. Can this be done easily?

Ideally, I'd just stick the airport on one of the router ports (I guess those are jacks for the switches), and airport would get an IP from my linksys router, and then send out wireless IPs to any wireless devices (e.g., notebooks).

Is it more complicated than that? Are there different subnets that make it more difficult to trade files and what not, or is this pretty straigtforward.

TIA

garybUK
Aug 27, 2004, 09:35 AM
Yep, just plug the Wireless Access point into a cat5 socket on the switch or router (if your router has a switch built in) just as you would with any network device and it should just work. I currently have four access points plugged into my wired network in my house and it all works great.

emw
Aug 27, 2004, 09:43 AM
If you don't already have the Airport, then you may consider finding a 4-port wired/wireless router like those available from Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, etc. That way you just have one router to configure and worry about rather than 2.

Just a thought.