PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for retiring an aging iMac G5

wrldwzrd89
Feb 11, 2010, 03:32 PM
I have decided to retire my iMac G5 from active use by me. My workplace has a significant Mac presence in the graphics department, and they have indicated that they would have a use for the iMac. With that in mind... what would be the best way to set up the iMac for their use? I suppose I should be a bit more specific, so here are my questions:

Obviously, I need to format the drive. Should I use the 7-pass secure erase, or the 35-pass one?
Should I install an OS on the internal drive?
Assuming I install an OS, which version? Tiger (what the Mac came with) or Leopard?
Should I create an account on the OS, or leave it at the setup screen?
Assuming I create an account, should I update the OS to the newest revision level, and apply other updates?
If I install Tiger, should I install Classic too?
If I install Leopard, should I set up Time Machine?
Finally, are there any software programs that a corporate graphics department might find useful, that I should install?

MMM.PWR
Feb 11, 2010, 04:10 PM
Why don't you just erase everything, leave it at the setup screen, and let them set it up themselves? Only thing I would do is install the latest OS revision.

You seem to want to be very thorough about this. As if it were a wedding present or something. :p

nicroma
Feb 11, 2010, 04:19 PM
A 7 pass format should be more than enough.