PDA

View Full Version : my iMac g3 will not boot

ferrari486
Feb 11, 2010, 05:16 PM
hi i have an old tray loading imac g3 i want to upgrade it to osx but the firmware is not updated so i need an os9 boot disk but my cd drive wont open:apple:

MacHamster68
Feb 12, 2010, 05:06 AM
hi i have an old tray loading imac g3 i want to upgrade it to osx but the firmware is not updated so i need an os9 boot disk but my cd drive wont open:apple:
then very likely the cd drive is broken down , have you tried it with manually open it an putting in a cd you dont want or you dont need to test it if its realy broken or only malfunctions
but as cd drives have only a limited lifetime so it might be broken , can you see the drive in system at all ?

student_trap
Feb 12, 2010, 07:59 PM

IIRC isn't there a way to force open the cd drive by poking around with a paper clip?

mrsir2009
Feb 12, 2010, 10:56 PM
IIRC isn't there a way to force open the cd drive by poking around with a paper clip?

Yeah, it was all the rage in the ninites;) There might be a hole where you put a paper clip in, then it pops the drive out a bit. Or you can do it my way, with a screwdriver:D

MacHamster68
Feb 13, 2010, 05:10 AM
thats how you open it
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3004?viewlocale=en_US

ferrari486
Feb 14, 2010, 04:25 PM
K Got It Open U Guys Rock!!!!!!

student_trap
Feb 15, 2010, 12:38 PM
K Got It Open U Guys Rock!!!!!!

glad you got it sorted. If you have any more questions then come back and post away!