PDA

View Full Version : Pismo... 10.2 or 10.3

mypantsaretight
Aug 27, 2004, 11:23 AM
Hello. I am the owner of an aging, yet very functional Pismo. It's a 500Mhz model with 256MB of RAM and it presently has 10.2.8 installed in it. About a week ago its battery died, so I'm going to have to cough up some $ to buy a replacement. I thought it might also be an opportunity to upgrade to Panther as well.

I have reviewed the forum threads relating to Pismos and done a bit of searching around the net. I understand that more RAM (among other upgrades) would be beneficial. It is a little pokey right now under 10.2.8 and my question is... can anyone give advice as to whether or not I should move to Panther and whether I can expect better/similar/worse performance.

My primary motivation to upgrade is to be able to use Xcode and my main activities consist of programming work when away from the office, very light Photoshop (7 not CS) and your basic web/mail activities. The only gaming I do on the machine is MacMAME and the odd sharware game that catches my interest periodically.

I have no intention of buying RAM, a new hard drive or a processor upgrade of any kind. I'm saving my money to buy a new iBook sometime around xmas-January (or whenever the next bump occurs) and I see no point in wasting money that could go toward that purchase.

Any thoughts on the topic would be appreciated.

ty

vraxtus
Aug 27, 2004, 11:40 AM
Hello. I am the owner of an aging, yet very functional Pismo. It's a 500Mhz model with 256MB of RAM and it presently has 10.2.8 installed in it. About a week ago its battery died, so I'm going to have to cough up some $ to buy a replacement. I thought it might also be an opportunity to upgrade to Panther as well.

My mom's got a 400 Pismo and I'll tell ya... it's pretty "pokey" also... it's running 10.3.5 ATM and I had to disable dock magnification because it was too choppy. If you can handle the lag, go for it... otherwise just wait.