Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

makeminemaudlin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
DC
I have a 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo Mini, currently running with 1.5GB RAM. I want to get it to run faster and cleaner, so I can watch higher quality video without lags and pixelation (I got a nice new HD monitor, and want to make the most of it). I'm looking at upgrading the RAM to achieve this, however I've heard that this model maxes out at 2GB.

1. Is this true? If so, is there any way to "get around" that?

2. If there isn't such a way, is there really any noticeable difference between 1.5GB of RAM and 2.0?

3. If all else fails, what can I do to get an appreciable increase of performance from this computer?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
1. 2GB is the maximum RAM, there seems to be no way around it. http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/stats/mac_mini_cd_1.66.html

2. Not really, video won't run more smoothly because of 512MB of more RAM.

3. Buy a newer one, even the used Core2Duos will give a you a good performance increase.

If you view video embedded in Flash, YouTube and Vimeo offer HTML 5 viewing, which frees up the CPU. Also Click2Flash enables viewing YouTube content as the original H264 encoded video via an embedded QuickTime Player.

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
The original Intel minis supposedly did run faster if the DIMMs in both slots were the same size, so you might get a small speedup from that. I also had a 1.66 GHz Core Duo mini and upgraded the CPU to a 2.0 GHz Core2Duo. I've since given it to my mom, but it is still running great. I never tried putting more than 2 GB of RAM in it, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.