Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macarc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2009
I have a 2009 Mac Mini 2.26 with the stock 160 Gb hardrive. I'm quickly running out of space and want to put in a bigger drive. I also like to have a faster drive, since I think it would make a difference in Photoshop and just make the mini feel a bit snappier.

I originally was going to but in a 7200 drive such as the WD Scorpio black, but then I got concerned about the additional noise. I really like how quiet the Mini is. Therefore I started looking into 5400 drives. I even considered putting in a sdd plus an external am not sure it is worth the extra expense.

I have been looking though the forum but still can't figure out which option to go with.

My specific questions are.

1. Would a 7200 drive be significantly faster than a 5400 drive?

2. Would a 7200 drive be noticeable nosier that a 5400 drive?

3. Which specific drives are recommended for speed and quietness.

Thanks

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
1. A bigger but emptier 5400RPM drive will be nearly as fast as a smaller but fuller 7200RPM drive.

2. Not really in a mini. I barely noticed the noise in my old MacBook but it does vibrate more (not really an issue in a mini).

3. WD or Seagate seem to be the market leaders.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
I have tried both. Went from an original 80 5400rpm to a 200 7200 rpm and now have once again gone to a 500 5400rpm WD blue - performance differences were not noticable IMO.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
the RPM's aren't as important as having a hard drive with NCQ. it stands for native command queuing. you regular hard drive will rely on the CPU to process the I/O commands. a hard drive with NCQ has a chip on board to process those commands and will give you the biggest performance boost. i've read hard drive benchmarks since the 1990's and going from 5400 to 7200 won't give you any noticeable difference.

Macarc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2009
Thanks for the good info everyone. I think the WB Scorpio Blue 640GB seems like a good candidate. Does anyone have experience with this drive?

alent1234, how do I know if a hard drive has NCQ? Can't find it in the specs of the drives I have looked at. Does the Scorpio Blue have it for example?

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
i think only the velociraptor line have it. not sure. check anandtech or tomshardware

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I put a 320gb 7200rpm drive in my mini (1.8ghz) about 9 months ago and it was and still is much snappier than the old stock 80gb hdd with no extra noise or heat.

Macarc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2009
always remember opening a mini voids your warranty , as its not user upgradable

I thought that the warranty was still valid when you do ram or hard drive changes as long as you don't break anything. This used to be the case. Have it changed recently?

Gordy

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2005
Bristol, UK
Not true. Please don't spread this misinformation. It's been refuted over and over and over...

Quite, it's utter nonsense.

I've got a 320GB 7200RPM drive in my mini, I'm considering a 7200rpm drive or even a SSD. Not sure whether the money is worth it on either option though.

ANDYMILLMAN

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
Hi guys,

Im about to take the plunge and buy my first mac mini...

Going to go for the 2.56 ghz 4gb ram option....

From doing a lot of reading up, I hear that the biggest gripe with the machine is the slow stock hard drive...

What speed does the stock hard drive run at ? is it 3200 ?

What is the best drive to replace it with? Any problems with over heating, noise etc?

:D

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2009
California
Hi guys,

Im about to take the plunge and buy my first mac mini...

Going to go for the 2.56 ghz 4gb ram option....

From doing a lot of reading up, I hear that the biggest gripe with the machine is the slow stock hard drive...

What speed does the stock hard drive run at ? is it 3200 ?

What is the best drive to replace it with? Any problems with over heating, noise etc?

:D

It runs at 5400RPM.

Here a couple of good hard drives.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/YST9500420AS/
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Western Digital/YWD6400BEVT/

ANDYMILLMAN

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
Yes I did it myself. There is somewhat a performance increase but not much.

Hmm Just wondering whether it is really worth the extra expense.

On a more general mini related grounding..

Is there anything you have found that the mac mini particularly struggles with in your current set up ? Can it playback hi def mkv's avi's OK?

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2009
California
Hmm Just wondering whether it is really worth the extra expense.

On a more general mini related grounding..

Is there anything you have found that the mac mini particularly struggles with in your current set up ? Can it playback hi def mkv's avi's OK?

Well when I had 1GB of RAM, 1080p sucked. Now everything plays fine.

HDH

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2009
I replaced my HD with a Seagate 500GB 7200RPM ..... it's not noisy at all, and it's running perfect.

Raima

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2010
I stalled 4gb of ram with a 500gb 5400 hdd. I wasn't too impressed with the performance. I then later replaced the drive with a g.skill falcon II ssd drive which made things much better.

Ended up putting back the 500gb in the mac mini when the macbook pro arrived. I don't know what it is, but the macbook pro with hdd booted up quicker than the mac mini when it had the ssd drive in there. The ssd drive now lives in the macbook pro :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.