Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvolutionXGSR

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
I have a question. I am looking to build a site in the near future and am somewhat of a beginner.
So I'm looking at my choices right now when it comes to webpage applications.
iWeb seems very user-friendly and attractive but I've noticed a couple of things with the pages you folks have been posting.
Why is it that the pages load rather slowly and in a "window blind" manner?
One more thing, I notice when you click on a link, it loads the entire page. Is iWeb able to do frames?

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
I have a question. I am looking to build a site in the near future and am somewhat of a beginner.
So I'm looking at my choices right now when it comes to webpage applications.
iWeb seems very user-friendly and attractive but I've noticed a couple of things with the pages you folks have been posting.
Why is it that the pages load rather slowly and in a "window blind" manner?
One more thing, I notice when you click on a link, it loads the entire page. Is iWeb able to do frames?

I believe iweb is css based so if you are questioning about the load process/hierarchy it would most likely be that, one i cannot answer :p

Yes, iweb can handle frames.
My site is very heavy on frames-
http://www.moistproduction.com

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
My site is very heavy on frames

Your site has iframes, not frames. Frames are a different tag with a different effect, though similar.

One reason for slow loading iWeb sites is due to being hosted on MobileMe, which is slower than most hosts. iWeb also loads a lot of extra stuff. It's simply more bloated.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
is this documented or heresay?
Link?

Mostly from experience here in the forums. I've seen a number of people comment on the speed from their experience, and when I view iWeb sites hosted on MobileMe (formerly .Mac) I can visually see the slow speed of downloading the page content (that's a content optimization and hosting issue). MobileMe did make some enhancements from .Mac in speed, so it's not as bad as it use to be, but it's still not on par with other web hosts of similar pricing. Seeing as MobileMe doesn't offer any server-side languages like PHP, it can only handle HTML, CSS, and JavaScript to create pages, so essentially they are static. Even with such basic capabilities it doesn't handle these sites well.

Here's a reputable site that discusses the slowness of iWeb sites from the aspect of un-optimized images and the slowness of the host.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Mostly from experience here in the forums. I've seen a number of people comment on the speed from their experience, and when I view iWeb sites hosted on MobileMe (formerly .Mac) I can visually see the slow speed of downloading the page content (that's a content optimization and hosting issue). MobileMe did make some enhancements from .Mac in speed, so it's not as bad as it use to be, but it's still not on par with other web hosts of similar pricing. Seeing as MobileMe doesn't offer any server-side languages like PHP, it can only handle HTML, CSS, and JavaScript to create pages, so essentially they are static. Even with such basic capabilities it doesn't handle these sites well.

Here's a reputable site that discusses the slowness of iWeb sites from the aspect of un-optimized images and the slowness of the host.

I would have probably disagreed a few months ago, but my site still takes a little to long to load after redesigning my site in Illustrator and just dumping the AI file right into iWeb.

The AI file is no where near 1MB in size and Apple.com loads faster than it does.

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005

Thanks for the heads up. Ill check out the optimizing apps...

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
Update-

Ended up using "HTML Optimizer".
Shrunk my 29mb site down to 26mb... I guess its an improvement of sorts... about 10%?

I had a pretty good idea I was optimizing pretty well already and the difference proved that ;)

Most have been bragging about 40% size decrease in the total website...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.