PDA

View Full Version : Airport Express Confusion!

pdpfilms
Aug 27, 2004, 01:18 PM
Hey all,
I recently installed an airport express for audio use only. When I went to play music on the connected stereo, it required that i disconnect from the current wireless network (internet access), and join the new airport express network (audio only). The express is too far from a router to connect an ethernet cord to it, but i want to be able to use the internet as well as play music wirelessly. Is there any way i can do this? Could I possibly mask the express network and make it only show up in iTunes? What if i used it as a repeater for the existing network... would it allow for Airtunes functionality?
Thanks!!

titaniumducky
Aug 27, 2004, 02:43 PM
Hey all,
I recently installed an airport express for audio use only. When I went to play music on the connected stereo, it required that i disconnect from the current wireless network (internet access), and join the new airport express network (audio only). The express is too far from a router to connect an ethernet cord to it, but i want to be able to use the internet as well as play music wirelessly. Is there any way i can do this? Could I possibly mask the express network and make it only show up in iTunes? What if i used it as a repeater for the existing network... would it allow for Airtunes functionality?
Thanks!!

The express should also provide you internet access. Once you do this, you can just connect to the Airport Express.

As far as I know, there's no way to stream to the Airport Express through your main router.

seamuskrat
Aug 27, 2004, 02:48 PM
This is a common mistake during set up.

First off, reset your APEx. Press the small reset button and leave unplugged.

Plug it back in and connect to your stereo.

Next, open Airport Admin Utility.

What you want to do is JOIN EXISTING network. It will ask if you want the APEx to join your existing network. It should show you a list of available networks, presumably the one you have from your router/bastetation.

Once that is done, you can surf and stream etc. with impunity. The APEx setup assistant is kinda weird and did not let me do this, i had to reset mine and open Airport Admin Utility.

But rest easy, what you ask is entirely possible and supported by the APEx.

Hey all,
Thanks!!

pdpfilms
Aug 27, 2004, 03:14 PM
Thanks so much!
It worked out perfectly.

I LOVE APPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!